Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Colorado engine shut off when came to stop and I had low gas and battery had 13.0v but still had enough gas so it wouldn’t run out. But when I came to complete stop unaware to me my engine had shut off cause I was listening to my stereo. But when light turned green i pressed the gas and I didn’t go anywhere. So I turned the music down and noticed my truck and shut down. So when I went to start it up it would Make one clicking sound and all the dash light would turn off as long as I held forward the key to try and start but when I released the key the light would return. These are the codes I have in my odb2. P16a1 P16a7 and P16a1 again I have two other codes but nothing to do with this issue it’s for my o2 sensor since my exhaust was cut off and taking a few months ago. Can anyone help with my issues to get my truck up and running. And started

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
My 2017 needs a new battery,,,,, I keep forgetting 4 years and 2 months on a 3 year battery

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
Jump it- check back.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6 V6 Ext. Bed
265 Posts
My '16 Z71 V6 Colorado delivered in October 2016 is still on the original battery. With my luck it won't start the next time I get in though.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,963 Posts
Well I know that My 2017 Z71 I plan on replacing the battery real soon.
It was manufactured 10/31/2016 I bounght it on 12/24/2016 and picked it up 12/28/2016. I replace mine at 5 years to not get stuck with a dead battery. Plus I have a jump box for me and others in the truck

·
Registered
570 Posts
You can get another two to four years out of those batteries if you run a Battery Minder (or similar tech) every month or so. Amazing what a de-sulfiding session will do for battery longevity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious as to why you'd need a batter tinder on the battery every month and how it would sulphate the battery? With a trickle charge.

Tinders are used for storage purposes. When the battery isn't being used. Not once a month when the battery is getting used every day.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Curious as to why you'd need a batter tinder on the battery every month and how it would sulphate the battery? With a trickle charge.

Tinders are used for storage purposes. When the battery isn't being used. Not once a month when the battery is getting used every day.
Battery Tenders® are intended more so for vehicles that will sit unused for long periods of time. They are used as a way to keep batteries charged during cold weather. That said, it is recommended you plug your car in once the temperature reaches -15 degrees.

Battery Tenders - AMA

When should you use a battery maintainer?

A battery maintainer is used to keep a battery fully charged when the battery is not going to be used for days, weeks or months at a time. This prevents the battery from dying or going bad. Just leave the battery maintainer hooked up to the battery and the device will keep the battery charged

Using a Battery Maintainer or Trickle Charger

What is the difference between a trickle charger and a battery maintainer?

Trickle chargers are meant to be disconnected when they're done charging, while battery maintainers can be left plugged in. ... "A battery maintainer will only send a charge to the battery when the battery can accept a charge. So, as the battery reaches full charge, the maintainer stops charging the battery

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best-battery-maintainer/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Battery Tenders® are intended more so for vehicles that will sit unused for long periods of time. They are used as a way to keep batteries charged during cold weather. That said, it is recommended you plug your car in once the temperature reaches -15 degrees.

Battery Tenders - AMA

When should you use a battery maintainer?

A battery maintainer is used to keep a battery fully charged when the battery is not going to be used for days, weeks or months at a time. This prevents the battery from dying or going bad. Just leave the battery maintainer hooked up to the battery and the device will keep the battery charged

Using a Battery Maintainer or Trickle Charger

What is the difference between a trickle charger and a battery maintainer?

Trickle chargers are meant to be disconnected when they're done charging, while battery maintainers can be left plugged in. ... "A battery maintainer will only send a charge to the battery when the battery can accept a charge. So, as the battery reaches full charge, the maintainer stops charging the battery

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best-battery-maintainer/
Isn't that what i said? lol

BTW. A properly working and fully charged battery has a freeze point of -60 degrees.

My motorcycle gets plugged in at around 40 degrees.

I wonder if semis get plugged in up north. Other then the oil heater.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Isn't that what i said? lol
I was just getting a bunch of research for the topic.
Which the research validayes your point
I have used my maintainer on mine but when it was sitting for a few days...
Would make sure batteryy was topped off and condition it... but never when I am using it 6-7 days a week

1 - 13 of 13 Posts