Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

This is my first post. I have a problem with knock ping Detonation. This problem started after I got the update done on my transmission/engine at the dealer. My truck never done this before I only hear it while I step on the gas it doesn't happen all the times mainly when I push the truck to speed up. I usually only run 87 octane sometimes I use seafoam with a full tank not all the time. I tried running 89 and it still does it when I push to speed up. Looking for solutions I think the tune the dealer done might have something to do with it. It never happened before the update just the hesitation of this shifting that's why I had the update done also my mpg took a big hit from the update. Just looking for some input. I do my own work on my truck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like either the knock sensor isn't working properly or the advance curve got messed up during the update. Let the dealer sort it out since whatever he did caused your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the transfer case fuild. It was under filled same with transmission fuild. I dint drop the pan though. I just Siphoned the old fuild out. I did not want to mess with the exhaust bolts they are tight.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Hi Everyone

This is my first post. I have a problem with knock ping Detonation. This problem started after I got the update done on my transmission/engine at the dealer. My truck never done this before I only hear it while I step on the gas it doesn't happen all the times mainly when I push the truck to speed up. I usually only run 87 octane sometimes I use seafoam with a full tank not all the time. I tried running 89 and it still does it when I push to speed up. Looking for solutions I think the tune the dealer done might have something to do with it. It never happened before the update just the hesitation of this shifting that's why I had the update done also my mpg took a big hit from the update. Just looking for some input. I do my own work on my truck.
This is very odd, the update should do the opposite of what happened to you. It is to stop pinging and lugging. I would take it back in and see what they say. Maybe they screwed up with the wrong program or something?
Are you SURE it's spark knock?

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
124 Posts
Is this a dealership update to fix the chuggle? If so what is it called because this is my first time hearing of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was for the tsb 18-na-145 for the 6 speed. I been working on cars since I was 13. I'm positive its Detonation pinging caused by unburned fuel. It only does it under heavy acceleration in a short burst. Never had this issue before the update.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pinging is caused by the ignition timing being advanced too much causing the fuel/air mixture to ignite too soon, unburned fuel will cause a backfire. There should be a "knock" sensor that will cause the timing to retard if it detects pinging. Backfires will occur when the throttle is closed under deceleration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah mb dealer advance the timing when they did the tune. I give them a call but I doubt they will do anything about it.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Yeah mb dealer advance the timing when they did the tune. I give them a call but I doubt they will do anything about it.
So does it run good other than that?
is it only for a split second when you hit the gas? If so it might be normal. I don't hot-rod my truck but I have a 2016 and I can test mine for you if you tell me exactly what you do to make it ping.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont hot rod my truck neither. It happens when I give it gas going up hills or a different grade/slope between 20-35mph. I dont hear it when the windows are up or the radio is on so it's not really loud but I listen to my engine more than the radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it runs good I just took it on a 300mile trip big difference in the transmission I noticed but I just changed the fuild. I lost 2mpg since the update was done still running 89 octane

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is there any chance thissound you're hearing is the fuel injectors? At times, DI makes my truck sound like a diesel motor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I dont hot rod my truck neither. It happens when I give it gas going up hills or a different grade/slope between 20-35mph. I dont hear it when the windows are up or the radio is on so it's not really loud but I listen to my engine more than the radio.
I find it hard to listen to an engine with the windows down while driving, too much wind noise. If it's quiet with the windows up I think you are ok. In my experience you can hear pinging with the windows up, mostly happens in a higher gear (lower rpm) under heavy load.
Maybe like someone else posted you are hearing something else. ?
Are you planning on having the dealer check it?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Is this a dealership update to fix the chuggle? If so what is it called because this is my first time hearing of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes.

Attachments

Reactions: Skrongbed
1 - 17 of 17 Posts