Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was curious how the 2016 diesels are holding up? Do I need to be worried about any problems that were fixed in later years but not subject to a recall? i.e. specifically something that would cause someone to dump the truck after 2 years.

I just spotted a used 2016 with 28,000 miles and still another 6 months on the factory warranty. It's also CPO. I'd probably grab the GMEPP, which I think it's still possible, to get some more protection beyond the 12 mo/12K mile CPO warranty.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 2016 diesel, which I've had since new and now it has 53,000 miles. Not including recalls I've only ever had one issue with the truck, which happened at about 23,000 miles. The diesel particulate sensor failed, and melted the connecting wiring harness as well. The bad thing was at the time it happened, they were working on getting a revised version of the part. My truck sat at the dealer for 4 months, until they were able to get a new harness and sensor. It didn't cost me a dime, because it was still under warranty. I didn't complain, because they gave me some awesome loaner cars lol!!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This reminds me to check to see what the GMEPP excludes in terms of diesel parts. I recall some extended warranties exclude certain emissions equipment.

It's a shame this car only shows 1 dealer oil change in 30,000 miles. The owner could have very well have did it himself but you never know. At this point though, it looks like I'll see at least a $10,000 savings if not more going used... not counting any extended warranty costs or possible tire costs.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my truck so far. I don't have a lot of miles on her yet, at just over 15k, but, I've done a few 1000 mile plus trips with some off-road trail running mixed in. She is still running great!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2016’s don’t show may issues to be honest. Use reputable diesel and her. It’s a good truck
I haven't had any problems with my truck so far. I don't have a lot of miles on her yet, at just over 15k, but, I've done a few 1000 mile plus trips with some off-road trail running mixed in. She is still running great!
Good to hear. I'm going to strongly consider this then. Hopefully GMEPP isn't over $2,000. A little digging has me questioning exactly which diesel-specific components will be covered. There seems to be an exclusion for emissions sensors and I'll make some calls Monday to figure out what that means.

It's all a question of the difference between the best price I can get on a new comparable truck and this one.

I failed to mention it's a Canyon SLT optioned fairly well I think.

Thanks everyone.

This is what I was referring to on the GMEPP exclusions:

all exhaust components, and the following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors, emission vapor sensors,

·
Registered
743 Posts
Good to hear. I'm going to strongly consider this then. Hopefully GMEPP isn't over $2,000. A little digging has me questioning exactly which diesel-specific components will be covered. There seems to be an exclusion for emissions sensors and I'll make some calls Monday to figure out what that means.

It's all a question of the difference between the best price I can get on a new comparable truck and this one.

I failed to mention it's a Canyon SLT optioned fairly well I think.

Thanks everyone.

This is what I was referring to on the GMEPP exclusions:
That's because emissions equipment is warrantied differently and under the original GM warranty. If you read the warranty booklet into page 20+, the warranty period for emissions is longer than the bumper to bumper, depending on the state, up to 8 years/80k.

Check out this link for the 2016 GMC warranty book and take a look at pages 19-28...

2016 GMC Warranty

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's because emissions equipment is warrantied differently and under the original GM warranty. If you read the warranty booklet into page 20+, the warranty period for emissions is longer than the bumper to bumper, depending on the state, up to 8 years/80k.
Thanks. That's a big help.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have almost 50K miles on mine. The entire truck has been rock solid. Not a single problem. There have been a couple of recalls, easily managed at my local dealership.

I just got back from a 10,000 mile road trip. Never any problems at all. I averaged 25mpg over 10K miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at other threads and the GM maintenance schedule for "severe", it looks like if I wanted to be super conservative about the unknown maintenance or how it was driven, my extra costs for a used 30K mile truck would be:

- Oil and filter change
- Fuel filter change
- Change transmission, differential, and transfer case fluids

I realize the last items might be complete overkill but can anyone think of anything else that would add to the costs for day 1?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looking at other threads and the GM maintenance schedule for "severe", it looks like if I wanted to be super conservative about the unknown maintenance or how it was driven, my extra costs for a used 30K mile truck would be:

- Oil and filter change
- Fuel filter change

- Change transmission, differential, and transfer case fluids

I realize the last items might be complete overkill but can anyone think of anything else that would add to the costs for day 1?
Not overkill at all. Keeping fresh fluids in those places is always good idea.

I bought my truck at a reputable Chevy dealership in November. They had changed the oil and filter when they took it in. Did the inspection, rotated the tires, and topped off all fluids. I left the dealership oil until it needed another change in the spring. I believe in fresh oil. I don't believe in wastage.

If needed, I would also have had them change the other fluids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
18K miles and no problems here either. I can't believe my lease is already coming up next year and I'm starting to research how I should order my next one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All issues seemed to be mostly resolved at this point. We had DEF injector problems early but has been fine for more than 20k now.

Alternator has oil on front but seems to work fine. No other thing to note.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just passed 20k miles on mine so far, and it has been next to perfect. Just one visit to the dealer at 150 miles for an ECM update and that's all.
I love it more and more each time I drive it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2016 diesel just hit 41,000 miles and no issues so far. Pulled my travel trailer (Coleman 17FQ) to Ohio and back to Missouri (about 1500 miles round trip) twice (with a Honda Recon ATV in the bed) and many more shorter "local" trips. Another trip to Ohio and back with the ATV and no trailer. Another trip to Ohio and back without either the trailer or ATV yielded 36.6 mpg on the trip out and 34.2 mpg for the entire trip (DIC). It has been a great truck so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts