Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2016 Colorado with the V6 and I see people talking about it switching between V4 and V6 modes. The indicator is supposed to be on the DIC on the fuel efficiency screen, but I don't have that indicator at all. I am missing something or how do I get that indicator to show up on the DIC?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
176 Posts
My base model doesnt have it, or the r/h steering wheel buttons to control the DIC. I also have a black/white screen not color, may or may not matter

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
One place to see it is go to your Trip A or B. it is on the lower right side. When traveling you'll see it bounce back and forth between the two. I'll post a pic shortly.

Gusto

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the LT with a full steering wheel controls and I've seen pics where the indicator is supposed to be, but my DIC just doesn't show it. I've had the software updated to the latest version, I'm just not sure why it wouldn't be there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your 2016 V6 will not switch to V4 mode so no indicator. 2017's received a newly redesigned engine capable of switching to only 4 cylinders in limited situations. We don't even notice it and you are not missing anything.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Interesting comments above. So it looks like it was not available on previous years. First came out on the 2017 model.

in the attached when I have it in trip mode I can physically see the V6/V4 bounce back and forth. it even changes color. When taking my foot off the gas or going down hill it will automatically go into "V4" mode. Then switch back to "V6" when accelerating. If not on this screen I can not tell when it shifts between them as it is so smoooooooth!

Gusto

Attachments

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
It is well documented that the V6/V4 light is just that, only a light. GM uses it as a sales gimmick. It is not known how they are able to do this legally. I have read that it falls under the same rules as vitamins and supplements. Somehow they can say things in a certain way to make the customer think they can cure/prevent diseases.

jk;-)

Reactions: G2SKIER

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Edit* just saw the "jk" on the last post. You tricky guy you.

While that may be true on some gm products, with an exhaust, it is very noticeable when my ZR2 drop to 4 cylinder mode. No sales gimmick here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
Interesting comments above. So it looks like it was not available on previous years. First came out on the 2017 model.

in the attached when I have it in trip mode I can physically see the V6/V4 bounce back and forth. it even changes color. When taking my foot off the gas or going down hill it will automatically go into "V4" mode. Then switch back to "V6" when accelerating. If not on this screen I can not tell when it shifts between them as it is so smoooooooth!
Gusto
Just so you are aware, the 2017 V6 is a totally different motor than the 2015/2016 V6. The only thing they share is the displacement.

But I will agree, the transition from V4 to V6 and from V6 to V4 is absolutely seamless. Not like my 2014 Sierra 5.3, it was painfully obvious when it kicked into V4 mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.