Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I own a 2016 Chevy Colorado and it's leaking coolant from under the middle of the truck. I found a puddle about 3 weeks ago and have been monitoring it sicne. I took it to a shop and they said they believe it's a freeze plug. Everyone I've talked to doubts that is the issue, especially not on a 2016.

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be?????

Pictures below.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello. I own a 2016 Chevy Colorado and it's leaking coolant from under the middle of the truck. I found a puddle about 3 weeks ago and have been monitoring it sicne. I took it to a shop and they said they believe it's a freeze plug. Everyone I've talked to doubts that is the issue, especially not on a 2016.

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be?????

Pictures below.
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Put a pressure tester on it, pump it up and look for the leak.

Have you serviced the coolant system? It's recommended at 50K/5Y.

·
Registered
2019 Bison V6
325 Posts
Check the heater hoses where the go through the firewall.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Colorado CCSB WT 4x4 3.6
243 Posts
You'll probably want to give a bit more info on your truck, and if you really want folks to spit-ball what it might be you will need to get deeper under there and take pics of different areas from the front of the engine back to the front of the trans.

I would do the simple checks first and pop the hood and REALLY look around every part of the radiator and overflow can. Look for any dried coolant drip/spray patterns. Carefully check all hoses going from the radiator to things like the heater core etc. Dab the bottom of all connections with a paper towel and check for color each time. The further forward your leak is, the better. If it truly is coming from the back of the motor (not terribly likely) that's not good (freeze plug).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll probably want to give a bit more info on your truck, and if you really want folks to spit-ball what it might be you will need to get deeper under there and take pics of different areas from the front of the engine back to the front of the trans.

I would do the simple checks first and pop the hood and REALLY look around every part of the radiator and overflow can. Look for any dried coolant drip/spray patterns. Carefully check all hoses going from the radiator to things like the heater core etc. Dab the bottom of all connections with a paper towel and check for color each time. The further forward your leak is, the better. If it truly is coming from the back of the motor (not terribly likely) that's not good (freeze plug).
I checked all basic connections. No signs of leaking from them. I've had to add coolant a lot (because its leaking) and when I do add coolant in the resivior tank, it basically gargles it like there is air in there. I haven't checked the houses by the firewall yet. What would be the best way to check them?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
What would be the best way to see or access those hoses?
Passenger side just under the wiper cowl, you will see the 2 heater hoses entering the truck. They have a snap disconnect that has known to leak several times.

• Helpful
Reactions: gherbert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Passenger side just under the wiper cowl, you will see the 2 heater hoses entering the truck. They have a snap disconnect that has known to leak several times.
I checked there this morning after arriving to work and I don't see any leak. I put a paper towel around each hose and connectors and didn't find anything. It is still leaking under the truck though. It just sucks because I can't see much from under the truck to see where the leak is coming from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts