Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2016 chevy colorado 3.6 and I'm thinking about doing some upgrades to the truck but need some help. I'm going back and forth from a supercharger or a turbo. I like to be different so I'm leaning more towards the turbo but can't find really anything on turbos for my truck. If yall have any suggestions or recommendations please let me know anything helps.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
One guy a couple years ago was going to put a turbo on his truck but he disapeared, nevver did see the outcome
no one makes one for sale to the public

elderbrock, mallet and lingenfilter are the superrcharger people

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,668 Posts
I would say be different cosmetically unless you have extra cash laying around. Do the supercharger so you’re not the guinea pig and save the additional cash and time you would spend figuring out a turbo for cosmetic upgrades.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True but I mean I'm not in a hurry to do anything so I mean over time someone may come up with a turbo kit for it. I also seen a guy on here do a rear mounted turbo just don't know how that would work because you have alot of air you have to push thru the pipes

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
True but I mean I'm not in a hurry to do anything so I mean over time someone may come up with a turbo kit for it. I also seen a guy on here do a rear mounted turbo just don't know how that would work because you have alot of air you have to push thru the pipes
they did that on camaros a few years ago cause there was not any room under the hood. seems to work on them.
fuel management I think would be an issue but then again superchargers work and I know Mallet comes with software upgrades to run theirs

Reactions: White016 and Firehk

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
377 Posts
Codester...I hate to say this but at this point the chances of a company releasing a good turbo kit for the 2015 / 2015 trucks with the LFX is pretty much near zero. Heck...I'm not even sure there is a supercharger kit available for those trucks either aside from the Mallet supercharger which unfortunately is expensive. Edelbrock makes SC kits for the 2017 and newer trucks...I don't think the 15/16 models are included.

Sure, you can wait and watch for someone to try and create their own turbo kit, but I've watched guys go that route on the Camaro with the 3.6 with the LFX and it's never easy, never cheap...always running into tuning issues.

The main issue, is that there is no real market for a turbo kit. Most want a SC if they are going the forced induction route at all. I'd say work on making your truck look how you want, and perhaps throw a few performance upgrades on there (tune, ported TB...whatever else??) but if you are insistent on forced induction, there are not a lot of options out there. Best of luck.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
you are correct, lots of pipes! this is a C6 Vette kit. Ya, a turbo kit for our trucks ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
456 Posts
you are correct, lots of pipes! this is a C6 Vette kit. Ya, a turbo kit for our trucks ain't gonna happen.
I don't know why they cant, I have a 3.0 with twin turbos on my car and the engine looks stock.
Should be able to fit one of those under the hood of a Colorado. :cool:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I don't know why they cant, I have a 3.0 with twin turbos on my car and the engine looks stock.
Should be able to fit one of those under the hood of a Colorado. :cool:
I'm sure someone could, but like already said I doubt they will. We are 6 years in and nothing...
Maybe all the plastic parts that could cook, those things get hot!
What car?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
There is a turbo kit for the 3.6L Camaro. Do not understand why it could be much different.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
There is a turbo kit for the 3.6L Camaro. Do not understand why it could be much different.
Cool.
It's for those buyers that should have bought the SS. ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm sure someone could, but like already said I doubt they will.

What car?
CT6.
400 HP...400lbs of torque, bolted to the same transmission as the Colorado!

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,680 Posts

Rick Squires (inventor of STS) put a remote turbo kit on his Tacoma. They have several flavors of universal fit remote mount turbo kits so I don't see why it couldn't be done.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Rick Squires (inventor of STS) put a remote turbo kit on his Tacoma. They have several flavors of universal fit remote mount turbo kits so I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Of course it can be done. That would be cool too.
The problem is there's no bolt on kit for our trucks. I'm pretty sure that's what the OP is after.
I always wondered, do those kits have a mud flap for the air filters? :unsure: :LOL:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
CT6.
400 HP...400lbs of torque, bolted to the same transmission as the Colorado!
cool, so there is a turbo kit for that car? The 3.6 I mean?
Nice!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The turbo kit for the Camaro is a twin turbo kit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
cool, so there is a turbo kit for that car? The 3.6 I mean?
Nice!
Never really needed a turbo kit for the 3.6 because the CT6 already had a 2.0 with a turbo, a 3.0 with twin turbos and 2 4.2 V-8s with twin turbos producing each more than 500 HP! :D

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Never really needed a turbo kit for the 3.6 because the CT6 already had a 2.0 with a turbo, a 3.0 with twin turbos and 2 4.2 V-8s with twin turbos producing each more than 500 HP! :D
I'm confused. You said your car looks stock with the turbo. I thought you meant it was a kit. But, really, it looks stock because it is? lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts