Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Terrain trim. Overall loved driving the truck. Handles the snow and mud better then any full sized truck.
I added 2" level kit to front and 1 extra leaf spring on back. Down side, rear brakes. Brakes wear at an excessive rate. Dealership says the brake system is working properly. 10000km at the most for set of pads. I pulled tired and now inspected pads (50%) after 6000km. Bought pads and was going to change this week. At 9000km. Washed up truck and as soon as i pulled out of wash bay heard the tell tale grind of metal on metal. Pad and rotor destroy.
3rd time this has happened in 30000km. 1000$ everytime.
So since mechanics can't find cause i started comparing brake set up on trucks doing work in my area that are not having these issues.
My guess is that the caliper has a vented top 1.5"x1" space that is scraping the mud off of rims and packing it into the space between pad and rotor. Mud acts like sand paper, destroying both. No warning of impending destruction till to late.
Truck is washed regularly and Daily brake inspections is just not feasible.
The fact that the rear brake pads have been referred to as erasers compared to full sized truck might also add to the issue.
Some say 20" rims might help.
Mud flaps can't install them. Local dealer tried it on one and the weight of the mud pulled metal on wheel wells apart.
Front driveshaft boot torn. New drive shaft is also needed. Mud flaps would haves most likely prevented this.
Wheel wells on rear of truck. Mud packs in above the liner and pushes out from inside causing a outward dent and paint cracking.
Wiring harness for stabilitrack and rear ABS hangs down below fram of truck. Without reinforcing harness with tape and rad hose the debris will eventually wear and break wire. Dealership fix this for free and reinforced it. Looks good still.
Trade in value. Horrible! Dents over wheel wells, no rear brakes and the fact that these new vehicles can now be fixed after side impact that ised to write them off, which happened to my truck at 8500km. The side impact alone dropped trade in value 7000$ ouch. 21 000$ cost to repair truck. BTW I got Tboned from a guy running stop sign.
Full sized truck is what I need.
I gave the Canyon a go and it failed for me. Just not built for the conditions.
At some point you have to throw in the towel and cut your losses.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't know why they don't long term test new vehicles in high hazard, high use areas like the Oil&Gas industry, who's trucks routinely are abused over gravel, mud and sand for hundreds of miles rather than the twenty feet off the pavement that most residential construction rugs see.

Run a rig down the Haul Road in Alaska and I guarantee you will find it's flaws real fast. Chief among them is the skipping tendency of the rear end over non-graded areas of low holes. I really want to test a ZR2's multimatics on conditions like these to see if they are any more stable.

The dents are from the wide open inner fenders catching gravel and mud and then vibrating down between the sheetmetal. Could be a simple fix using the same expanding foam for the hood flutter repair, if GM ever acknowledged it.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
Going to go with a 2017 GMC 2500HD
That is a big jump. If a 3/4 ton truck is what you need, trying to do it with a 1/3 ton truck like the Colorado/Twins was asking too much of it.

I know these trucks are technically a 1/2 ton truck, but if so, then what is the 1500 series?

Perhaps we need a new series designation: 1/3 ton, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, Full ton?

Or: 1/2 ton, 2/3 ton, 3/4 ton. Full ton.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Wheel wells on rear of truck. Mud packs in above the liner and pushes out from inside causing a outward dent and paint cracking.
As a likely future owner, I'd say this issue is most concerning to me. I have read a few reports of this. I fear that in 2025 we might be seeing these trucks with rust holes above the rear wheel wells, like so many 3rd gen Ram 1500s.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
As a likely future owner, I'd say this issue is most concerning to me. I have read a few reports of this. I fear that in 2025 we might be seeing these trucks with rust holes above the rear wheel wells, like so many 3rd gen Ram 1500s.
Have the dealer run a bead of seam sealer along the crevice that catches the rocks. This will prevent any stones from working down and pushing out fender.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
It sucks that your rear brakes wear out at 10,000km. That's just 6.200 miles! That's a new one here, but most people aren't driving through what you are everyday. And, so much mud it would rip off mud flaps or bend the supporting metal! Damn. That's Rough! That has got to beat up any vehicle. Thanks for the review.

PS- You need a friggin Tank! :surprise:

Reactions: CaryBosse
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.