Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a front passenger door lock key entry on my 2016 GMC Canyon. I don't need to tie in the key entry to my auto door locks. My only need is to have it keyed to my vehicle and simply insert my key and be able to open the door from the outside. There are earlier (2004) threads addressing this however I can't find any for the 2nd Gen Forum. Can I purchase a replacement driver side keyed door lock mechanism, reverse it and install it on my passenger side front door. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I want to install a front passenger door lock key entry on my 2016 GMC Canyon. I don't need to tie in the key entry to my auto door locks. My only need is to have it keyed to my vehicle and simply insert my key and be able to open the door from the outside. There are earlier (2004) threads addressing this however I can't find any for the 2nd Gen Forum. Can I purchase a replacement driver side keyed door lock mechanism, reverse it and install it on my passenger side front door. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Although I'm not a 2016 Canyon door lock expert, ;) I seriously doubt it will fit/work. Most of these parts are very side specific. It is in the handle right? That would make it virtually impossible. Well I guess a really talented fab person could make/modify one....

I'm curious why you want to do this. Are you simply wanting to be able to unlock the pass door and not the drivers at the same time? If so there could be an electrical way to do it someone could come up with. Also the alarm/security system could give you grief...

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
The vision of taking a hole saw to the door of a perfectly good truck is painful.

The manufacturers have pretty much eliminated key entry to trunks, passenger doors, etc. I think they only grudgingly give us a key entry on the driver door in case all of the batteries die on us.

Outside of a tailgate, I can't think of the last time I used a key anywhere other than an ignition, and that is going the way of the dinosaur as well. (well, except for our trucks...)

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's nice to have the option 12 years in the future when you loose the key fobs and can't get replacements, live in Canada or somewhere where there is freezing rain storms and the freezing rain that one night is blowing into the side with the lock making it impossible to get a key in. Other than that happening to me once or twice, that's the only benefit I can see of dual key holes.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I park 2016 Canyon in my garage I exit the vehicle leaving my remote and ignition key in the drivers front arm rest door grab pocket. I always carry a spare ignition key along with my house keys in my pocket as a backup. As you all know when, driving, all doors are automatically locked. So when I need to open the front passenger door, having a key slot would be convenient. I know I can form a habit of always pushing the inside unlock button before I exit the vehicle so that the passenger side front door is open. I often forget to do that, so I have to walk around and open the drivers door and push the unlock button. Hence the desire to have a keyed entry for the front passenger door. I realize that it is not a critical need but it is one of convenience for me....That's why...

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
When I park 2016 Canyon in my garage I exit the vehicle leaving my remote and ignition key in the drivers front arm rest door grab pocket. I always carry a spare ignition key along with my house keys in my pocket as a backup. As you all know when, driving, all doors are automatically locked. So when I need to open the front passenger door, having a key slot would be convenient. I know I can form a habit of always pushing the inside unlock button before I exit the vehicle so that the passenger side front door is open. I often forget to do that, so I have to walk around and open the drivers door and push the unlock button. Hence the desire to have a keyed entry for the front passenger door. I realize that it is not a critical need but it is one of convenience for me....That's why...
Have you considered going into the setup screens and changing the personalization screens on the entertainment system so that when you put your truck in PARK, all of the doors unlock? Then you wouldn't need a key.

In 2015, it was on Page 5-43 of the manual, I assume in 2016 it will at least be in Section 5.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I think your problem can be "fixed" with a setting for the locks OR leaving the key in the ignition. I leave my keys in the ignition and it never locks any doors, including the pass side. My car on the other hand does what your truck is doing, agreed, it is a PITA.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
What @CaryBosse said. I just changed mine to keep the passenger side door always locked. It's in your settings. Yours can be changed to unlock the passenger side door when you exit the truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reminder to check my Owners Manual. As a result, I changed the setting to "Unlock All Doors" when shifting into Park". The previous setting only unlocked the Drivers door. So I have been conditioned to Lock all doors when exiting the vehicle in any parking lot; having the setting set to unlock all doors when shifting into park doesn't pose any greater safety risk as I always use the remote to lock all doors. Thanks for all your input..."Problem" solved...

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's nice to have the option 12 years in the future when you loose the key fobs and can't get replacements, live in Canada or somewhere where there is freezing rain storms and the freezing rain that one night is blowing into the side with the lock making it impossible to get a key in. Other than that happening to me once or twice, that's the only benefit I can see of dual key holes.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Sounds like a great time to stay inside by the fire and drink beer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.