Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lurker until now....just at the end of my rope. Maybe this will help someone else at some point.
Bought the 2016 Canyon diesel used, had 16k miles when I bought it and have managed to get it to 18k miles and the issue seems to be getting more and more frequent.
Basically, the truck will randomly not start. Wait a while and bang, it starts up like nothing ever happened. No codes. Nothing. Couple days go by, get in and won't start....says something about 4wd, steering assist, etc. The other day, I got in it to drive it to the dealer to get looked at again...started up fine, then while driving it....it went nuts and gave same messages that it usually does when it won't start. See video.

All of my research pointed at the BCM, but that was replaced and issue still there. In fact, they thought they had it fixed until they tried to start it up to bring to me....didn't start. Waited 30 mins...then it started right up. No codes.

Links to videos of what it is doing.

Dealer has already replaced fuse panel.
Dealer has already replaced the BCM.

Anyone with similar issue that might be able to point us in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I just had my 2016 Lemon law'd, it had a long series of issues, none electrical though.

Thats what we get for pioneering new models, It has warranty, take advantage of it

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had the exact same issue with mine when I first bought it - used. It ran perfect when I test drove it. And when I drove it home from Denver. Drove fine all that day and the next. But then it started having trouble intermittently. Wouldn't start. Went in to limp mode. Various systems malfunctioned. Problems occurred when it was cold in the morning, and would resolved when it warmed up a few degrees.

Turned out to be the plug that goes in to the ECU on the right side of the firewall. The plug itself was bad, and some of the wires would make intermittent connections.

Took the dealer mechanic a while to figure that out. But he did figure it out. He ended up depinning the plug one wire at a time, and putting the wires in to a new plug. A year later, and no recurrence of the problem.

Next time you're having problems, play around with those wires and and the plug, see if it changes the symptoms. If it does, there's your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.