Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son gas a 2016 2.5 colorado. 45k miles. He was coming home the other day and his brakes went out. (Pedal could not be pushed). Solid as a rock. We replaced the check valve no change got a little better when we bleed the lines. (Truck was purchased new. No work done the brakes.) The fluid is rusty colored so we changed the fluid. Some better. It is still far from normal. We tested the brake booster and it didnt seem to be bad. We pulled the check valve off and it had no vacuum. I cant detect a leak anywhere. Can some one offer suggestions.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
My son gas a 2016 2.5 colorado. 45k miles. He was coming home the other day and his brakes went out. (Pedal could not be pushed). Solid as a rock. We replaced the check valve no change got a little better when we bleed the lines. (Truck was purchased new. No work done the brakes.) The fluid is rusty colored so we changed the fluid. Some better. It is still far from normal. We tested the brake booster and it didnt seem to be bad. We pulled the check valve off and it had no vacuum. I cant detect a leak anywhere. Can some one offer suggestions.
there was no vacuum at/to the booster? Thats the problem, must be a leak somewhere.

If there is vacuum and the pedal is way hard it's the booster.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Fluid shouldn’t be rusty colored either......

FWIW - In the corvette world (We had a 2001 for many years) - they recommended taking a turkey baster and sucking out all the old fluid from the resevoir once a year. Apparently - too much moisture got into the resevoir/system contaminating the fluid.

I haven’t heard this issue here (on these trucks) yet...... but definately something to check and keep an eye on.

Keep us posted on what you find!

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Fluid shouldn’t be rusty colored either......

FWIW - In the corvette world (We had a 2001 for many years) - they recommended taking a turkey baster and sucking out all the old fluid from the resevoir once a year. Apparently - too much moisture got into the resevoir/system contaminating the fluid.

I haven’t heard this issue here (on these trucks) yet...... but definately something to check and keep an eye on.

Keep us posted on what you find!
Yep, a 2016 with rusty fluid already? wow.

p.s. I had a 2001 C5 a few years back, I don't think I ever even checked the brake fluid. lol

Reactions: Janster

·
Registered
8 Posts
What did you find wrong with your brakes ? Mine just did this 2 days ago. My brake pedal is firm as all get out. But doesn't want to stop unless I stand on the brake pedal. I was told it was probably the booster. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
What did you find wrong with your brakes ? Mine just did this 2 days ago. My brake pedal is firm as all get out. But doesn't want to stop unless I stand on the brake pedal. I was told it was probably the booster. Any thoughts ?
My thought is the OP only posted once is is probably FOS. Rusty brake fluid in a two year old truck? And who does all that diagnosis and work on a truck that still under warranty? It's either completely made up or there's a lot not being told, but one post only would lean me toward the former.

But yeah, yours sounds like the power brake booster isn't functioning, but I don't know enough about those to comment further.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Yes, booster, or lack of vacuum to the booster. Usually if the booster is bad you can here it hissing (hole in diaphragm) If no noise most likely you have lost vacuum to the booster, look for leaks under the hood. There is a pretty big vacuum line going to it. You didn't say what truck you have but it might have a vacuum pump that could go bad, I'm not sure though if we have one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, booster, or lack of vacuum to the booster. Usually if the booster is bad you can here it hissing (hole in diaphragm) If no noise most likely you have lost vacuum to the booster, look for leaks under the hood. There is a pretty big vacuum line going to it. You didn't say what truck you have but it might have a vacuum pump that could go bad, I'm not sure though if we have one.
Mine is a 2016 extended cab 2wd 2.5l online 4 cylinder. When you are setting in the seat, and push on the break pedal, the pedal is very hard, but hisses (inside cab) as you push the pedal down. The fluid is full in the reservoir.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Mine is a 2016 extended cab 2wd 2.5l online 4 cylinder. When you are setting in the seat, and push on the break pedal, the pedal is very hard, but hisses (inside cab) as you push the pedal down. The fluid is full in the reservoir.
If it hisses it's the booster. It is bad.
RockAuto should pay me ;)

Reactions: UnionCraneMan
1 - 9 of 9 Posts