Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filed a NHTSA complaint on my 2015 Here:

Last Saturday, at startup, my electric power steering made a loud grinding noise and the steering wheel pushed back against my efforts to steer. I turned off the truck and the condition went away until later that day. Returning home I shifted from Drive to Reverse to back into my driveway (with my boat attached) and the same thing occurred. I'm concerned this may occur while driving at speed as I use many high-speed / two-lane / two-way county roads.

My VIN is not coming up as included on the previous recalls for this issue with 2015 Colorado's. IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS CONDITION PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT ON THE LINK ABOVE!

I do not want to spend $1,000+ on a new steering component when GM obviously has had issues with these units before.

Signed,
Fearful for my life in MN

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you contacted the dealer to have them address the issue? Parts to go bad but the dealer would be the ones to either address it under a recall or just charge you. I get your vehicle is not under that recall but they should be your first stop (if you haven't already). You could also search the forums because I'm sure you're not the only one with this issue.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Could it be that you are in 4WD and not know it? sort of sounds like binding. If you hit something soft.. sand, water etc, the binding can go away for a short time

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could it be that you are in 4WD and not know it? sort of sounds like binding. If you hit something soft.. sand, water etc, the binding can go away for a short time
Not in 4WD, it happened again tonight trying to back the boat in. I’ll take it to the dealer tomorrow and report back. I should add I only have 30k miles!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've read theres a gear that hets stripped in the steering box. Steering get wonky after. Ive seen a few threads regarding such. Sounds worrisome to drive in the condition of electric power steering failure. It doesn't seem to be a well known issue just one I've come across on the boards. There are some post you may want to search out and read...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trying the steering again this AM the steering wheel appears to fight my efforts to turn and forcibly come back to center. If I turn the wheel very slowly it does not fight my effort. The rack emits a deep rumble when fighting my effort to turn.

I removed the connectors to the rack and water poured out of the power connector! I cleaned all the connectors and reconnected but no change. I also disconnected the battery for 20 minutes, no change.

I know I need to take it to the (st)dealer but I like to be informed before hand. No codes are being displayed and only twice did the “Service Power Steering “ appear on the DIC.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Trying the steering again this AM the steering wheel appears to fight my efforts to turn and forcibly come back to center. If I turn the wheel very slowly it does not fight my effort. The rack emits a deep rumble when fighting my effort to turn.

I removed the connectors to the rack and water poured out of the power connector! I cleaned all the connectors and reconnected but no change. I also disconnected the battery for 20 minutes, no change.

I know I need to take it to the (st)dealer but I like to be informed before hand. No codes are being displayed and only twice did the “Service Power Steering “ appear on the DIC.
Wow, I bet the water got inside too and corroded it inside.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Your issue seems different than the issue I had on my 2015 right after I purchased it.

My truck with kick out a list of error messages that the stabilitrak needed servicing, the electric power steering, seems like there was a 3rd message. However, the steering did not try to return to center. Of course, I was never driving down the road. It would always do it at a stop. If you are driving, the natural alignment should try to return to center I would think.

In any event, I will say that when the electric power steering assist goes out, it is much harder to steer than any hydraulic failure I ever remember. I have driven vehicles with hydraulic steering failures before. Hard, but doable. This was much harder. Stopping and restarting the engine usually reset the issue.

GM replaced my entire steering rack under warranty, the truck was less than a month old. I think my failed rack was sent back to engineering for evaluation, because the recall came out right after that. I believe that fix was based on a sensor that saw something it did not like and shut the system down. The solution I believe was to simply have the system require the bad reading from the sensor to remain for a period of time before you shut the electric power steering down.

I don't think water was involved at all.

You know you are supposed to take your boat, not your truck out in the lake when you are going fishing, right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your issue seems different than the issue I had on my 2015 right after I purchased it.

My truck with kick out a list of error messages that the stabilitrak needed servicing, the electric power steering, seems like there was a 3rd message. However, the steering did not try to return to center. Of course, I was never driving down the road. It would always do it at a stop. If you are driving, the natural alignment should try to return to center I would think.

In any event, I will say that when the electric power steering assist goes out, it is much harder to steer than any hydraulic failure I ever remember. I have driven vehicles with hydraulic steering failures before. Hard, but doable. This was much harder. Stopping and restarting the engine usually reset the issue.

GM replaced my entire steering rack under warranty, the truck was less than a month old. I think my failed rack was sent back to engineering for evaluation, because the recall came out right after that. I believe that fix was based on a sensor that saw something it did not like and shut the system down. The solution I believe was to simply have the system require the bad reading from the sensor to remain for a period of time before you shut the electric power steering down.

I don't think water was involved at all.

You know you are supposed to take your boat, not your truck out in the lake when you are going fishing, right?
😂Cary, thanks for your insight. I have an appointment with the dealer today. I haven’t seen any other complaints about the SW trying to center itself, like a vehicle that has lane assist, weird.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back from the dealer,
3 hours for them to find a corroded connector on the Steering Control Module. The service tech said that module is under the battery near the steering shaft somewhere. They had to contact Chevrolet Factory Tech to trouble-shoot the unknown electrical issue. (They were stymied)

They think they fixed it by cleaning the corrosion and reconnecting but recommend to changeout the harness with the suspected culprit connector, $240.

I took the truck home and said I’d drive for the weekend and see how it acts before committing to the harness change out.

Fingers crossed in MN

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the “repair” lasted two days before the power steering failed again. The dealer has ordered the replacement connector that they feel is corroded causing the issue. I don’t know which connector they plan on replacing but they think it will eliminate the issue. I’ll report back with a part number when known.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fingers crossed, this will be my last post on this topic. I installed the replacement wiring assembly and all is well. Too bad you can’t just replace the small black & blue connector instead of this whole assembly but now I don’t have to worry about the other connectors. I will be disconnecting and cleaning all these connections at least once a year based on the grime, moisture and corrosion I saw in all the connections. These things sit front and center (and low) of all the road grime and winter salt. Not sure I’d give the GM engineer a medal for placement of these connectors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

1 - 13 of 13 Posts