Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was involved in a rear end collision with visible damage to the tailgate and the bumper. On further inspection the bed is bowed and the frame is bent. The repair shop, classic collision in Atlanta, says the frame has to be replaced. With 60,000 miles on the truck and a kbb fair market value of 22,000, the question will it be totaled or repaired. From what I have read in other forums, frame replacement is not a big deal if....done correctly. Total repair cost is $14,000. I’m awaiting word from the Zurich adjuster.

So the question is, should I be okay with a frame replacement or fight for a Total? My preference is not having to buy a new truck.

Thanks

Bob

BC17BC07-51FC-4BD4-AB45-98AD937B3796.jpeg
E0E7ED77-DD4B-4720-B7C8-52484A6C6A0E.jpeg

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say it depends on your comfort with both your own insurance company as well as the people working on your vehicle.

Being on a first name basis with people is the difference between being ignored and solving a major problem in a 30 second phone call.

If you are not comfortable I would push for it being totaled simply to avoid headaches.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I worked at a GM dealership that also had a large body shop the guy they had do frame swaps had them done in a day and almost never had any comebacks. So I would not personally be worried about a frame swap if it is done at a reputable bodyshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glad your okay, as the truck can be fixed or replaced.
Fixing your Colorado really depends on who is doing the work. Personally,
I would probably push for it to be totaled. With a market value of $20-22 thousand, by the time your done with frame replacement, body and paint, there is a very good chance it will be totaled.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would ask for it to be "totaled", when you go to sell/trade it the frame replacement will show up on a Carfax report and the value will be less than a similar truck which has never been damaged. Some states allow for a "diminished value" claim but not mine (SC).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s not official but looks like it will be totaled. This will be the simplest outcome providing I obtain an appropriate amount.

The comment on DV, in Georgia it’s required for third party claims but even if not required most companies will pay this do to the Georgia model.

So the next question, which year Colorado/canyon should I get? From reading various posts, it appears that there are transmission issues with some models. The 2015 had a minor shifting issue that was fixed with a reflash so not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I will get bashed for saying NO 17-19 models, but IMO, I will say NO 17-19 models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My truck was involved in a rear end collision with visible damage to the tailgate and the bumper. On further inspection the bed is bowed and the frame is bent. The repair shop, classic collision in Atlanta, says the frame has to be replaced. With 60,000 miles on the truck and a kbb fair market value of 22,000, the question will it be totaled or repaired. From what I have read in other forums, frame replacement is not a big deal if....done correctly. Total repair cost is $14,000. I’m awaiting word from the Zurich adjuster.

So the question is, should I be okay with a frame replacement or fight for a Total? My preference is not having to buy a new truck.

Thanks

Bob

View attachment 380078 View attachment 380079
Frame jobs are almost never trouble-free. Get rid of it. Had a friend that had a Tundra frame replaced, by the dealer, and the truck has been nothing but a problem.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As another said your fair market value is lower when the truck shows it's been in a major accident on the Carfax report. Get it totalled out. Take the money and invest in a new ride. It's a better idea for equity anyways.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Car Fax is not always accurate. It is your call. How much can you buy it back for after it is totaled? It would be tempting to fix. It would not be that hard to swap frames. Of course it depends on your skill level.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Georgia doesn't have a damage threshold, but 70% is typical, which would be $15,400. That's pretty damn close. Tell them to total it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Car Fax is not always accurate. It is your call. How much can you buy it back for after it is totaled? It would be tempting to fix. It would not be that hard to swap frames. Of course it depends on your skill level.
That’s a possibility as long as it’s not your daily driver/needed vehicle,and the thing I would worry about with it being hit that’s hard in the back, knowing that it buckled the frame, I would be worried that the driveshaft May have been jammed into the rear of the transmission and that would open up another can of worms.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've worked with Classic Collision as a vendor and had work done there. They're a good body shop. I also really like Performance Auto Collision in Alpharetta.

Based on the photos, the damage doesn't look bad enough that it would have messed with your driveline. There is enough play in slip yolks to account for any pushing that may have occurred. The real question comes down to residual equity AFTER the frame swap rather than what the KBB value is for a comparable used truck. It's a bit tight with an estimated 14k which could always go up and likely will, further squeezing the repair to residual value margin. If you plan to keep the truck to 200k or more, it won't matter as much in the long run. If you potentially want to trade it for newer in the next few years, then I would suggest pursuing the total and getting a new vehicle now to keep your equity intact. It's a hassle, and may require some money down, but I think overall better than the depreciation you would encounter. These are just my spitball opinions, though.

FWIW, I'm perfectly happy with my 2019 and it was built after the most recent trans fluid update. I've got about 6200 miles on it as of today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've worked with Classic Collision as a vendor and had work done there. They're a good body shop. I also really like Performance Auto Collision in Alpharetta.

Based on the photos, the damage doesn't look bad enough that it would have messed with your driveline. There is enough play in slip yolks to account for any pushing that may have occurred. The real question comes down to residual equity AFTER the frame swap rather than what the KBB value is for a comparable used truck. It's a bit tight with an estimated 14k which could always go up and likely will, further squeezing the repair to residual value margin. If you plan to keep the truck to 200k or more, it won't matter as much in the long run. If you potentially want to trade it for newer in the next few years, then I would suggest pursuing the total and getting a new vehicle now to keep your equity intact. It's a hassle, and may require some money down, but I think overall better than the depreciation you would encounter. These are just my spitball opinions, though.

FWIW, I'm perfectly happy with my 2019 and it was built after the most recent trans fluid update. I've got about 6200 miles on it as of today.
BudRacing, I'm looking at a 2019 demo with the 8 speed but concerned by all the comments. You mention yours was built after the trans fix so is there a build date to look at to be sure you dont suffer the past issues? BTW, my repair cost will go much higher then 14k as the repair shop said they just stopped at that point. Waiting on confirmation of a total so I can pursue a new truck, that is 2016 or 19 if the trans issue has been addressed.

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same exact thing happened 2 years ago to my 2016 Z71
They replace the frame, bed and bumper. I agreed because a good friend worked at the local Toyota body shop and the insurance company agreed on them doing it. My daughter still drives it and it is fine.
Ask for a few grand as paŕt of the settlement for loss of value. If you are keeping the truck a long time it probably saves you money to fix it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
Rangerscott
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing