Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here. I find lots of good info here, thank you.
Does anybody know the proper bleeding sequence for second gen Colorado?
I have some air in the system but wanted to make sure I tackle this the right way. I tried RR, RL, FR, FL, however the pedal still soft on first press.
Thank you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi, I am new here. I find lots of good info here, thank you.
Does anybody know the proper bleeding sequence for second gen Colorado?
I have some air in the system but wanted to make sure I tackle this the right way. I tried RR, RL, FR, FL, however the pedal still soft on first press.
Thank you.
double check the level in the master cylinder. That is the correct sequence, as far as I know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Should be right - start with the bleeder that is farthest away from the master cylinder and work towards the closest. I find that cars with ABS are harder to bleed than older vehicles without ABS and it really helps to have a pressure bleeder or vacuum bleeder.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Did you find the source of the leak? You need to find where the air is getting in - and that usually means there’s a leak - however microscopic.

Is your truck still under warranty? Or is this issue from an upgrade that you performed?

And yes, I will confirm that sequence (farthest to closest). That’s how we’ve always done it in the past.

Something that I used to do (on an old Jeep) when I couldn’t locate a leak...... With Jeep in park - engine off, I’d press on the brake as hard as I could. When you have a leak - the pedal won’t ever ‘stop’. It’ll keep moving. This forces the fluid out of the leak....(so to speak). I would crawl underneath and look for any freshly produced wet spots. :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for responses guys. Yes I did start with RR, but typed it wrong.
Source of leak was broken FL hose that has been replaced. It looks like there must be some air in ABS asmb. Will keep on bleeding, and if doesn't work I'll have to find someone with a good scanner that can bleed the ABS.
Truck is not under warranty. This is a wrecked car that I bought from an autoauction. Will report back later when I get this figured out.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Something that I used to do (on an old Jeep) when I couldn’t locate a leak...... With Jeep in park - engine off, I’d press on the brake as hard as I could. When you have a leak - the pedal won’t ever ‘stop’. It’ll keep moving. This forces the fluid out of the leak....(so to speak). I would crawl underneath and look for any freshly produced wet spots. :)

Good Luck!
Yes this is good to find leaks, only thing I would do different is keep the engine running so you have power assist when you are mashing the pedal.

Reactions: Janster

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just rebuilt a salvage. Found out a strange thing that may apply to you. If you had air bags go off in the wreck you might not still have a break problem. The airbag module is linked in with the breaks. If you have the module out or you still need it rebuilt (They tend to fry when they deploy) the breaks will not feel right till this is fixed. I ran into this and thought I still had a break problem. As soon as I got the rebuilt module in the breaks were perfect.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I just rebuilt a salvage. Found out a strange thing that may apply to you. If you had air bags go off in the wreck you might not still have a break problem. The airbag module is linked in with the breaks. If you have the module out or you still need it rebuilt (They tend to fry when they deploy) the breaks will not feel right till this is fixed. I ran into this and thought I still had a break problem. As soon as I got the rebuilt module in the breaks were perfect.
Weird one. In what way are they linked?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Somehow through the computer. All I know for sure is no matter what I did to the breaks they felt wrong. They were stiff but would barely stop the truck. Felt like the breaks needed bleed no matter how much I bleed them.
As soon as I put the rebuilt airbag module back in all was fine.
I think I play a role in controlling the valve in the abs block/ pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somehow through the computer. All I know for sure is no matter what I did to the breaks they felt wrong. They were stiff but would barely stop the truck. Felt like the breaks needed bleed no matter how much I bleed them.
As soon as I put the rebuilt airbag module back in all was fine.
I think I play a role in controlling the valve in the abs block/ pump.
I did have the curtain airbags deployed but for me that did not affect the brakes.
P.S. The SRS module for this car does not need to be rebuilt after deployment. SRS module can be erased with a good scanner.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know it's am old thread but there is also two bleed screws on each front caliper.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.