Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did drive it onto NED's super accurate digital scale...4795 lbs with my 250 lbs, 3/4 of a tank of fuel, and a folding toneau cover installed. Cal's Jeep was 5100 lbs.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
You go Lenn!
I did that with my '88 S10 at Atco Dragway, when I got my ordered 4.3L S10 off the assembly line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Losing to your brother.. I feel that pain.

I'm blaming the rev limiter & gear ratios. Rev limits kick in too early, and that gear ratio is just not meant for stomping on it.

Edit: Slips are hard to make out, or I have a bad monitor. Were you able to get a 0-60?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To easily read the time slips, just keep clicking on the picture. Every time you click on it with your mouse, it will zoom, giving you a better view.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wow, those 2.3+ 60' times were killing you. I'm surprised that in 4WD it didn't do better.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Losing to your brother.. I feel that pain.

I'm blaming the rev limiter & gear ratios. Rev limits kick in too early, and that gear ratio is just not meant for stomping on it.

Edit: Slips are hard to make out, or I have a bad monitor. Were you able to get a 0-60?
0-60 isn't ever available with drag strip time slips sir. I'd venture to guess low to mid 7's though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Len, I just watched the video and it seems to have a fairly big dip between the the 1-2 shift. The 8sp trans next year should help with that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, those 2.3+ 60' times were killing you. I'm surprised that in 4WD it didn't do better.
Yes, they were. I stalled the converter as high as it would go and had it in 4 wheel peel. Just needs a lower 1st gear or 8 speeds as you mentioned.
That's the only reason my brother's Jeep was towing me....more gears!
He's 300 or so lbs heavier and has less HP. I'm guessing Chevy has a lot of torque management in the tune which is limiting the throttle by wire out of the hole. These can be adjusted with a tune. 373 gears is going to be the answer. It just feels geared too tall for a six speed. Maybe with an eight speed trans, it will perform better with the 342's that it comes with. It does however, perform very well in it's current stock tune on the street.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very cool vid. You didn't by any chance try a RWD-only run, did you? I'd be curious to see how that compares. No power loss in the front drive train, all the power to the rear wheels, and a little wheel spin on launch isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've heard say many times that AWD, even in high-performance cars, is very difficult to launch well, mainly because there's actually too much traction.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Are you going to do a few mods and dyno each improvement?
20-30 extra tq & hp tuned on super unleaded will make a tremendous improvement in feel and mpg.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The torque management built into these new vehicles kill the 60' times. HPTuners and a little adjustment to the torque management and watch the Colly put one on that Jeep ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool vid. You didn't by any chance try a RWD-only run, did you? I'd be curious to see how that compares. No power loss in the front drive train, all the power to the rear wheels, and a little wheel spin on launch isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've heard say many times that AWD, even in high-performance cars, is very difficult to launch well, mainly because there's actually too much traction.
I did try it in RWD...spun the tires enough to slow me down to a 16.312. I don't think it hurts my ET's much in 4WD. The 60' times are what determines a good run...so traction is more important.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you going to do a few mods and dyno each improvement?
20-30 extra tq & hp tuned on super unleaded will make a tremendous improvement in feel and mpg.
I don't plan any mods for this truck at the moment. Maybe 373 gears at some point. We'll see....

·
Registered
263 Posts
While I've been anxiously awaiting these trucks and will be patiently waiting a while longer for the diesel to come out I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in how it ran.

I originally felt GM should have used the 4.3 in the new twins and was vocal about it. I sorta backed down and took a wait and see approach. Now I'm back to thinking the 4.3 was the better choice again and this might just add fuel to that argument. I've seen tests of quad cab, 4x4 Sierras and Silverados with the 4.3 getting the same or better times and speeds in 1/4 mile runs.

Also seeing the Jeep with less HP, less torque and a fair amount of more fat on it pulling better times helps support that. Maybe the 8-speed auto next year will bridge the gap and help cover up some of the inadequacies in this motor.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
While I've been anxiously awaiting these trucks and will be patiently waiting a while longer for the diesel to come out I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in how it ran.

I originally felt GM should have used the 4.3 in the new twins and was vocal about it. I sorta backed down and took a wait and see approach. Now I'm back to thinking the 4.3 was the better choice again and this might just add fuel to that argument. I've seen tests of quad cab, 4x4 Sierras and Silverados with the 4.3 getting the same or better times and speeds in 1/4 mile runs.

Also seeing the Jeep with less HP, less torque and a fair amount of more fat on it pulling better times helps support that. Maybe the 8-speed auto next year will bridge the gap and help cover up some of the inadequacies in this motor.
I am so confused.

Did GM set out to build a midsize truck that would support CAFE requirements or a drag racer?

I am not sure if the 4.3L would have been a better engine or not for this truck, but I also know I don't need a vehicle that can beat all of the others off the line when the light turns green. Everything I am reading here seems to suggest that GM tuned this vehicle correctly for the market they were seeking. If the market for Typhoons and Syclones is greater than the market for mid-sized trucks, then perhaps they missed the mark. But something tells me that the people who care about MPG and a vehicle that can be easily on city streets and fits in a garage are a larger set of potential customers than the ones who are going to be studying the 0-60 times for a truck.

Of course, I could be wrong since people seem to think racing up a mountainside with a load is a valuable insight into what most truck buyers need to know.

NOTE: This is not a hit on the Lenn, he is free to test his truck and utilize his truck in whatever fashion he wants to - we are still a mostly free country. And his test provide valuable insight in many ways as to what we can expect from our trucks. Knowing the capabilities of the truck versus needing a truck designed for drag strip or street racing are two totally different issues.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts