Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had their leaf springs replaced under warranty for reasons other than squeaks?

Second question: Would leaf spring failure be covered under the 'Powertrain' warranty?

Here is why I ask: I have a Canyon that I bought new, it currently has 40,xxx miles on it. I do tow my 5200# camper a few times each year, using a weight distributing hitch. I noticed lately that the rear suspension seems to be bottoming out onto the bump stops so I bought a set of Firestone Helper Springs to keep this from happening. Before I started the install, I measured the height of the rear of the truck and noticed the driver side was sitting 1/2" lower. I just assumed the difference was my garage floor since each rear tire was on a different concrete slab. As soon as I removed the rear tires I noticed the leaf springs shaped like a 'w' on both sides. I did not install the air bags as I don't want the dealership to tell me it is because I installed bags...

I am planning on calling the dealership today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I dont know with all the towing you did or any mods you've done, but normally that WOULD be a power-train warranty...but it be best to talk with your dealer about that... they'd know more for sure

EDIT: You guys are right... after looking into things I find that my post was a bit idiotic :) for some reason i thought it was heh disregard me then

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Has anyone here had their leaf springs replaced under warranty for reasons other than squeaks?

Second question: Would leaf spring failure be covered under the 'Powertrain' warranty?

Here is why I ask: I have a Canyon that I bought new, it currently has 40,xxx miles on it. I do tow my 5200# camper a few times each year, using a weight distributing hitch. I noticed lately that the rear suspension seems to be bottoming out onto the bump stops so I bought a set of Firestone Helper Springs to keep this from happening. Before I started the install, I measured the height of the rear of the truck and noticed the driver side was sitting 1/2" lower. I just assumed the difference was my garage floor since each rear tire was on a different concrete slab. As soon as I removed the rear tires I noticed the leaf springs shaped like a 'w' on both sides. I did not install the air bags as I don't want the dealership to tell me it is because I installed bags...

I am planning on calling the dealership today.
I'm going to disagree with the last post, I really don't think springs are considered power train. They are suspension components.

Engine, transmission, transfer case, and differentials are though. Sorry but I think the 36K bumper to bumper is the only way. You missed it by about 4K miles :(

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
On another note, the tongue weight on that camper must be horrendous, those springs look bent bad!

Or could it be from the trailer brakes not working correctly maybe? Causing to much down-force on the tongue when stopping?

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to disagree with the last post, I really don't think springs are considered power train. They are suspension components.

Engine, transmission, transfer case, and differentials are though. Sorry but I think the 36K bumper to bumper is the only way. You missed it by about 4K miles :(
That is what it is looking like.

I spoke to the service manager at my dealership (we have a good relationship) and he said the power train is considered anything that has oil flowing in it. Basically, everything you mentioned. He also said that a key piece of power train, the drive shaft, is not covered. lol.

He is looking to see what, if anything, he can do for me.

Meanwhile, I looked into buying replacement leafs and found the factory ones can be bought for $120 a piece. I hope I can make a new set last longer by installing my air bags while the leafs are new.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On another note, the tongue weight on that camper must be horrendous, those springs look bent bad!

Or could it be from the trailer brakes not working correctly maybe? Causing to much down-force on the tongue when stopping?
While I don't exactly know my trailers tongue weight, I had thought the wdh would help lower it. I also know that on two separate occasions, my trailer brakes were not working, but both of those were for a short time (less than 1 day each time).

The other possible contributing factor that I didn't mention here (my dealer is does know about) is the addition of my supercharger. My 326 rwtq is probably more that the leafs want to handle...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I had my driver side leaf replaced because I complained it looked flat compared to the passenger side.

New leaf looked the same after replacement so nothing changed. Well maybe like 1/4 inch less lean with the new one.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
While I don't exactly know my trailers tongue weight, I had thought the wdh would help lower it. I also know that on two separate occasions, my trailer brakes were not working, but both of those were for a short time (less than 1 day each time).

The other possible contributing factor that I didn't mention here (my dealer is does know about) is the addition of my supercharger. My 326 rwtq is probably more that the leafs want to handle...
interesting, I doubt the blower would do that unless you are hot rodding with the camper attached.

:surprise:

RIPP?

·
Registered
634 Posts
My left side pack was replaced shortly after delivery because it was sagging. No questions asked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
if everyone could post photos of their leaf packs that would be helpful- I only have 19k on my 17 and my leaf springs look identical to the OPs. starting to wonder just how much curve should truly be there

·
Registered
634 Posts
if everyone could post photos of their leaf packs that would be helpful- I only have 19k on my 17 and my leaf springs look identical to the OPs. starting to wonder just how much curve should truly be there
My driver's side looked nearly as bad as the OP's when they replaced it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This thread (also in my sig) has some pics of the spring: http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-...-shock-lift-block-diy-w-pics.html#post4057402

Also this thread has a lot of pics of the suspension and rear end: http://coloradofans.com/forums/385-2nd-gen-how-tutorials/343225-anybody-need-pics-underside.html

There's definitely a lot more curve to my springs. I have towed a little but nothing more than a day or so with our pontoon boat being the heaviest

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big surprise, the dealer can't help me. I will look into replacing them myself before I install my air bags.

Anyone have any recommendations aside from factory leafs?

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Big surprise, the dealer can't help me. I will look into replacing them myself before I install my air bags.

Anyone have any recommendations aside from factory leafs?
Near me there is a place that builds springs at a reasonable cost. They specialize in brakes and springs. Maybe you have some place like that near you. You could ask around, like at places that work on mostly trucks, they would know. Then they could help you with the airbag setup too most likely. I can't imagine buying springs from GM, but never looked that one up so not sure if they are way over priced or not. I'm guessing they are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys ! My truck is 16 000 miles still on waranty and dealer dont want to admite that the leaf is straight or worst it is in W shape on the driver side! I like the way you take the picture : candles under the axles with no wheels so they are visible with the truck weight. When they look the truck they lift it first with a car lift so when he put it down it was not looking that bad ... The leaf are making squeaking noise on bump some time . the mecanic say thats it is cause of some antirust on the leaf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.