Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have been hearing clunking sound coming front what I thought was front suspension when going over bumpy/washboard surfaces.

Mentioned it to dealer on 1st scheduled service, they replaced a part on steering column and called me before I picked up the truck to say they still hear the noise and that GM said to replace the entire steering column.

Now awaiting arrival of the steering column. Have any of you had this issue?

EDIT:
Link to Video showing what my clunking/popping noise sounds like:
https://youtu.be/054oNbn8WFY

·
Registered
97 Posts
Haven't had any problems -- 2 months and about 1400 miles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For the record, I'm at 5600 miles and the part being ordered is "F-Column - 23221512".

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have been hearing clunking sound coming front what I thought was front suspension when going over bumpy/washboard surfaces.

Mentioned it to dealer on 1st scheduled service, they replaced a part on steering column and called me before I picked up the truck to say they still hear the noise and that GM said to replace the entire steering column.

Now awaiting arrival of the steering column. Have any of you had this issue?
I have something happening that sounds like it maybe the same thing. Along with hearing it did you feel it in the steering wheel? Also have you got yours back yet and if so how is it?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do feel the clunk/knocking through the steering wheel as well. I'm still waiting on the part to come in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the response, what dealership has yours. I'm in Georgia as well and if you are close I would like to take mine by to have them check to see if maybe its the same issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does it happen to you all when the truck is kind of rocking side to side on bumpy roads? Mine doesn't feel too much in the steering wheel, but it feels like it's up front.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah its hard for me to describe, I can hit most bumps in the road and not experience anything. But coming off my driveway I have a dirt drive to my barn and there are some very small roots in it but the ground is flat, just hitting those mine makes a noise primarily on the left side almost like a car does when the CV joints are gone. At the same time the steering wheel shakes but when it does its like its not engaged because it just moves an inch or so either direction. If you can find a dirt road that has washed and has that washboard texture or a gravel road with large gravel rocks you will definitely feel it and hear it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response, what dealership has yours. I'm in Georgia as well and if you are close I would like to take mine by to have them check to see if maybe its the same issue.
The dealership doesn't have the truck, I'm driving it until the part comes in. My local dealer is Rivertown Buick GMC in Columbus, GA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. Just got it back after 2 week wait for a new non leaking torque converter. So it's the steering column?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update.... part came in, brought truck in.... turns out they need an additional part. .. something about a break-away pin in the steering column. Additional part coming overnight... getting rental vehicle until the part comes in. Kinda frustrated with it but it is what it is...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update, all parts came in... steering column was replaced... service advisor called to say the technician felt it did not fix the noise. They asked to keep it an additional day to work with GM and/or try to figure out what's causing the noise.

At least they put me in a loaded 2015 Tahoe since yesterday.

At least they're up front about the column replacement not really fixing it. I'd rather they try to fix it instead of just giving it back to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the same noise, dealer mechanic spent 7 hours trying to figure out what it was. Drove it over lots of bumps, they all rocked it side to side in parking lot found it was a leaf spring on the right side, part is ordered and will be installed next weds. I will update if its what the noise is. He explained to me the noise is radiating the sound and feel to the front. There are three other reports to chevy about this sound being a leaf spring.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the same noise, dealer mechanic spent 7 hours trying to figure out what it was. Drove it over lots of bumps, they all rocked it side to side in parking lot found it was a leaf spring on the right side, part is ordered and will be installed next weds. I will update if its what the noise is. He explained to me the noise is radiating the sound and feel to the front. There are three other reports to chevy about this sound being a leaf spring.
I'm surprised the dealers are ordering parts to repair the leaf spring noise. I had a cluck that I would have sworn was coming from the right-front of the vehicle, but after reading about loose leaf spring u-bolt nuts, I went out an gave all of them an extra quarter turn. The noise disappeared.

Hopefully the dealers are at least checking the torque of those nuts before throwing parts a the problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
He said he tightened it down and took it back out and it still made the noise. We will see.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My truck noise is definitely front end related. My long concrete driveway has some wide expansion joints. I hear the clunk noise as the front wheels hit the expansion joints but the rears are on the solid section of driveway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They replaced my leaf spring because of the clunk, and the noise definitely came back after a few thousand miles. I think the u-bolts have a tendency to loosen and allow the axle to move.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They replaced my leaf spring because of the clunk, and the noise definitely came back after a few thousand miles. I think the u-bolts have a tendency to loosen and allow the axle to move.

I have added a 1 inch block to the rear. As well as put 2 inch level kit on the front so there are a few new parts on mine. I had the 4 wheel drive shop that does all my work double check everything. They said its all tight, front and rear. They agreed its definitely in the front and feels like its in the steering column. Chevrolet had an issue like these in this in the Silverado several years ago, I'm trying to find some information on that. I will update if I do.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
About this Discussion
190 Replies
53 Participants
felix1357
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing