Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This is my first post so be gentle! I picked up my Canyon earlier this May and wanted to let everyone know the upgrades I'll be doing to the audio system. Firstly, here is what I am going to do.

Upgrade: Full Speaker Swap, Add Processor, Add Amplification, and Install an 8” Sub

***Note: I am not a DIY guy, so I am using Mobile Solutions of Calgary to do the install***

I’ll start off with a little detail on the truck so everyone knows what I am working with.

Truck: 2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab Long Box 4x4
Audio: Non Bose – 8” Screen

I personally chose to opt out of the Bose system because I knew I would be upgrading the sound system immediately. I know how difficult Bose Systems can be to upgrade after the fact so I thought it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Here is the equipment that will be installed in the Canyon:
Speakers
Audison Voce AV 1.1 – Tweeter
Audison Voce AV 3.0 – Mid Range
Audison Voce AV 6.5 – Mid Bass
Hertz ML2000.3 – 8” 700 Watt RMS Subwoofer

Processor / Amplification

Audison Prima 8.9 bit – 520W 8 Channel Amp / Processor with/ 1 Sub Pre Out
Hertz HDP-1 – D Class Mono Amp (1000 Watt RMS @ 2 ohms, 600Watts RMS @ 4 ohms)

Accessories
Sound Deadening in each door
Audison DRC.

Information about the install
For my system, I did not want to replace the head Unit because of the GM MOST system running almost everything electronically in the vehicle. I will be doing a seamless integration with the GM Intellilink System. This is so that I can use Bluetooth / USB with my iphone / USB Sticks. With the Lack of RCA outputs this means that I would be stealing the signal from the head unit to the speakers.

So with all that being said this is how the install is going to go:
Speakers

• Custom Pillar Pods for the Voce AV 1.1 Tweeters
  • Voce AV 3.0 Mid-Range to be mounted in the existing 3” Speaker ports on the Dash
  • Voce AV 6.5 Mid Bass speakers to have custom baffles created to be mounted in the 6x9 connection in the front doors.
  • Rear speakers to be disconnected.
  • Sound deadening in each door.

Subwoofer

• Custom built box to replace center console
  • Downward Firing
  • Custom built box will look like it came from GMC. (Leather and Stitching matching). All USB ports and Cigarette Lighter Ports will be incorporated into the design and be fully functional.
  • Custom box WILL extend back to the rear seat. Rear Middle seat will have NO leg room.
Amplification

• The Audison Prima 8.9 Bit is a Digital Processor & Amplifier. (8 Speaker Input, 8 Speaker output + Subwoofer Pre out) This will allow us to take the signal from the head unit and flatten the EQ. This will allow for better tuning, cleaner sound and higher sound quality in the end.
  • Amps will both be installed underneath the rear seat on a custom amp rack.
Power Distribution to the Speakers
Since the rear speakers will be disconnected, I have 8 Channels of output and 6 Speakers. This is how the power will be distributed: (Channels 1,2,3,4 may all be bridged then run a Passive Crossover to allow for more power but I am unsure at this moment). All Wattage is in RMS
Channel 1 – Left Tweeter – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 2 – Right Tweeter – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 3 – Left Mid Range – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 4 – Right Mid Range – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 5&6 – Left Mid Bass – 70 Watts Bridged @ 4 Ohms
Channel 7&8 – Right Mid Bass – 70 Watts Bridged @ 4 Ohms

Accessories
The Audison DRC will control the volume / equalization for the entire system. The head unit will be put at Max Volume before Clipping is detected and should sit at that volume for the rest of the time I have the vehicle.
The Install is June 15-22, 2015. I will add Before and After Photos of the interior of the truck.
For those of you brave enough, another option that was brought up to have subwoofers underneath of the seat was to Raise the Metal bar 1 inch and Install 3 – 6W3V3’s (6.5 Inch Subwoofers) in a custom built box. I opted for the center console 8’ instead.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first post so be gentle! I picked up my Canyon earlier this May and wanted to let everyone know the upgrades I'll be doing to the audio system. Firstly, here is what I am going to do.

Upgrade: Full Speaker Swap, Add Processor, Add Amplification, and Install an 8” Sub

***Note: I am not a DIY guy, so I am using Mobile Solutions of Calgary to do the install***

I’ll start off with a little detail on the truck so everyone knows what I am working with.

Truck: 2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab Long Box 4x4
Audio: Non Bose – 8” Screen

I personally chose to opt out of the Bose system because I knew I would be upgrading the sound system immediately. I know how difficult Bose Systems can be to upgrade after the fact so I thought it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Here is the equipment that will be installed in the Canyon:
Speakers
Audison Voce AV 6.5 – Mid Bass
Hertz ML2000.3 – 8” 700 Watt RMS Subwoofer

Audison Prima 8.9 bit – 520W 8 Channel Amp / Processor with/ 1 Sub Pre Out
Hertz HDP-1 – D Class Mono Amp (1000 Watt RMS @ 2 ohms, 600Watts RMS @ 4 ohms)

Accessories
Audison DRC.

For my system, I did not want to replace the head Unit because of the GM MOST system running almost everything electronically in the vehicle. I will be doing a seamless integration with the GM Intellilink System. This is so that I can use Bluetooth / USB with my iphone / USB Sticks. With the Lack of RCA outputs this means that I would be stealing the signal from the head unit to the speakers.

So with all that being said this is how the install is going to go:
Speakers

• Custom Pillar Pods for the Voce AV 1.1 Tweeters
  • Voce AV 3.0 Mid-Range to be mounted in the existing 3” Speaker ports on the Dash
  • Voce AV 6.5 Mid Bass speakers to have custom baffles created to be mounted in the 6x9 connection in the front doors.
  • Rear speakers to be disconnected.
  • Sound deadening in each door.

Subwoofer

• Custom built box to replace center console
  • Downward Firing
  • Custom built box will look like it came from GMC. (Leather and Stitching matching). All USB ports and Cigarette Lighter Ports will be incorporated into the design and be fully functional.
  • Custom box WILL extend back to the rear seat. Rear Middle seat will have NO leg room.
Amplification

• The Audison Prima 8.9 Bit is a Digital Processor & Amplifier. (8 Speaker Input, 8 Speaker output + Subwoofer Pre out) This will allow us to take the signal from the head unit and flatten the EQ. This will allow for better tuning, cleaner sound and higher sound quality in the end.
  • Amps will both be installed underneath the rear seat on a custom amp rack.
Power Distribution to the Speakers
Since the rear speakers will be disconnected, I have 8 Channels of output and 6 Speakers. This is how the power will be distributed: (Channels 1,2,3,4 may all be bridged then run a Passive Crossover to allow for more power but I am unsure at this moment). All Wattage is in RMS
Channel 1 – Left Tweeter – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 2 – Right Tweeter – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 3 – Left Mid Range – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 4 – Right Mid Range – 35 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Channel 5&6 – Left Mid Bass – 70 Watts Bridged @ 4 Ohms
Channel 7&8 – Right Mid Bass – 70 Watts Bridged @ 4 Ohms

Accessories
The Audison DRC will control the volume / equalization for the entire system. The head unit will be put at Max Volume before Clipping is detected and should sit at that volume for the rest of the time I have the vehicle.
The Install is June 15-22, 2015. I will add Before and After Photos of the interior of the truck.
For those of you brave enough, another option that was brought up to have subwoofers underneath of the seat was to Raise the Metal bar 1 inch and Install 3 – 6W3V3’s (6.5 Inch Subwoofers) in a custom built box. I opted for the center console 8’ instead.
Subscribed

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sneak in every day and take pics of the build. Sounds like quite a project. How much sound deadening and what areas will you get done? Truck already has the benefit of thicker glass. That should help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@savagebob - I'll ask and see if I can come hang around after work and on the weekend during the install. Would be good to get photos and stuff to show the rest of the folks here some of the options for people who would like to Upgrade (Which I know there are a handful). There will be pretty heavy sound deadening to the front doors and area directly below the subwoofer (Rear Doors will not be touched). The front doors will get a very similar treatment to what Mark from CarAudioFabrication has shown on Youtube. Basically in the shell of the door will get 9 Foam Blocks that have a layer of ceramic visco-elastic resin between the foam. Then the Shell of the door will be traced and a layer or two of Deadening material (Same Visco-Elastic Resin - Do not know the brand of, sorry....). I already have the under spray protection which reduced road noise significantly.

@TheActionPlan - I'd like to say it is going to cost a little bit under a 1/4 the price of the truck... But to be fair....$8000-$9000 CAD...so like $1400 USD ;). The Installation and fabrication is where most of the cost is coming from. The sub / enclosure / amp raised the price significantly. These guys at Mobile Solutions are the only folks in my City I feel comfortable with doing the fabrications and work on a job like this....

The equipment wasn't that much. I'd like to say $250 CAD for tweeters, $250 CAD for 3" Mids. $500 CAD for 6.5" Midbass and $1000 CAD for the Processor/Amp. (Although you could get away with the Tweeters and 6.5" Mid Bass and be fine)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

Quick update on the Canyon. I dropped the truck off on Monday evening so that they could start on the Upgrade Tuesday Morning. Looks like I should have it back by June 22nd. Unfortunately @savagebob, I leave work at 5:30 p.m. and have no time to make my way over to Mobile Solutions to snap Photos for the group. My apologies for that. Can't wait to hear the system and let you folks know how it turned out! I'll Update on the 22nd or the 23rd of June.

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changes are good....Right?

[FONT=&quot]Change? Change? Who likes Change?
Got a call from Mobile Solutions just now and there is some good news and some bad news......[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Bad News:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Sadly, the Hertz Mille 2000.3 Subwoofer / Center console box will not come to life. The box they had drafted up that was of reasonable size only had 0.28 cu ft out of the required 0.35 cu ft minimum. Larry said that they tried to extend the box under the rear middle seat but that would create a ported effect inside the box and the Hertz Mille 2000.3 would not really come to life.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Good News[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The good(?) news is that we have made TONNES of changes to the system. I’ll attempt to follow the same write up as before.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]New Specs of the System:[/FONT]
Speakers
Hertz Mille 1800.3 – Mid Bass
(3) JL 6W3v3-4 – Subwoofers

Hertz HDP-1 – D Class Mono Amp (1200 Watt RMS @ 2 ohms, 600Watts RMS @ 4 ohms)
Audison Prima 4.9 bit – 520 W 4 Channel Amp / Processor w/ 1 Sub Pre Out
Audison AP4D – 520 Watt 4 Channel Amp

Accessories
Audison DRC.

This is how the NEW install is going to go:

Speakers
- Custom Pillar Pods for the Voce AV 1.1 Tweeters
- Voce AV 3.0 Mid-Range to be mounted in the existing 3” Speaker ports on the Dash
- Hertz Mille 1800.3 Mid Bass Speakers to have custom baffles created to be mounted in the 6x9 connection in the front doors. (Turns out the way the plastic door piece fits on the frame, a 7” Mid Bass Driver could be added to the system)
- Rear speakers to be disconnected.
- Sound deadening in each door.

Subwoofer
[FONT=&quot]A Custom Subwoofer box will be built to slide underneath the rear seat. This Box will fit the 3 JL Subwoofers. It should be noted that the Plastic trim piece underneath the rear seat will not be installed. No Modifications will have to be made to the metal bar that hold the seat up. Mobile solutions found out that underneath the carpeting under the seat is a layer of 1” thick foam. With this layer of foam removed the Box will slide right under the Metal Bar. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 3 Subs will be wired up in a way that they receive ~800 Watts RMS altogether.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Amplification[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Audison Prima 4.9 Bit is a Digital Processor & Amplifier. (8 Speaker Input, 4 Speaker output + Subwoofer Pre out) This will allow us to take the signal from the head unit and flatten the EQ. This will allow for better tuning, cleaner sound and higher sound quality in the end. The ADP-4 is an add-on amp to the Prima 4.9 Bit which will allow me to retain the front 3 Way drivers. (With More Power). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The original plan was to install the amplification under the rear seats HOWEVER with the new subwoofer plan, it was found that all the amps will all fit on the rear wall of the truck behind the rear seats.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NEW Power Distribution to the Speakers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Since the rear speakers will be disconnected, I have 8 Channels of output and 6 Speakers. This is how the power will be distributed: All Wattage is in RMS[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Audison Prime 4.9 Bit:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Channel 1 – Left Tweeter – 70 Watts @ 4 Ohms[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Channel 2 – Right Tweeter – 70 Watts @ 4 Ohms[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Channel 3 – Left Mid Range – 70 Watts @ 4 Ohms[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Channel 4 – Right Mid Range – 70 Watts @ 4 Ohms[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Audison ADP 4:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Channel 1&2 – Left Mid Bass – 260 Watts Bridged @ 4 Ohms[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Channel 3&4 – Right Mid Bass – 260 Watts Bridged @ 4 Ohms[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Accessories[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Audison DRC will control the volume / equalization for the entire system. The head unit will be put at Max Volume before Clipping is detected and should sit at that volume for the rest of the time I have the vehicle.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Maybe this subwoofer box style will be more applicable to the rest of the group.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Increases the build cost by ~+$700
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheers,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kev[/FONT]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi All.
I picked up the truck about 2 hours ago.
WOW! Absolutely incredible. The Tweeters and Mid Range is unbelievably clean, Bright (Not too bright), and the bass is punchy, powerful and clean. I've never heard anything like it and I never thought I would have a system like this of my own. Bravo to the guys at Mobile Solutions. The System is more than I could have ever hoped for. I'm not too sure of terminology for audio and how to describe the audio to others. I started off testing the system with "Hotel California" - Eagles (**** Freezes Over Live Album). The sound stage is very wide, and their is a definitive depth to the sound. The Guitar Picking at the beginning sounds like you are sitting beside someone as they play it live. When Don Henley starts to sing, it sounded as if he was in person. The Speakers all felt very accurate and natural. I moved onto some Future House after. The Song was "Shades of Grey" By Oliver Heldens. The song has twisting bass and is really fun to listen to. The mid bass and subwoofers handled the song very well. They were tight, punchy, powerful but not overpowering. The tweeters cut through the bass no problem.

For those that are curious, the 8" head unit does clip. If you turn the volume to max, then dial the volume down by 10 clicks (The volume knob is not smooth).
You will not be clipping.

I created an Album on Imgur for the photos. See Here: http://imgur.com/a/8ROID

I am sure Many people are interested in the subwoofer box. Here are the dimensions:
Length: 21"
Width: 12"
Length to Angle: 8"
Length of 22.5° Part: 5"
Depth: 4" + 1"(Under Carpeting)
Depth at shallow part: 1.5" + 1" (Under Carpeting)

I am unsure off all the cross over settings at the moment. Sorry.
I hope this helps everyone with their build!

I also just noticed a lack of Tweeter Pod Pictures. I will upload them shortly.

Cheers,
K2

P.S. WOW!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Spactacular build. Impressive that the workmanship equals the high caliber of the components. Of course, it's all about the sound, and it sounds like it was a home run in that category as well. Great pics, and very helpful too -- thanks for those.

Big relief to learn that high end SQ is possible using the stock head unit. Congratulations!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
692 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.