Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
1,200 Posts
So I have the G80 locker. I also have the clunk sound when I pull in the driveway. I'm pretty sure it's axle play. The article mentions this...
"C-locks can be installed without interference (review Bulletin #20-NA-156 for an exception on the G80 locking rear axle)."
I searched for "20-NA-156" and can't find anything published yet.
Anyone have a copy of it laying around?
I kinda' like the clunk. Wakes the beagle up.
P.S. Thank you for the post!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Interesting... I've been hearing this clunk sound for 5 years and assumed it was drive line slack/slop (aka "End Play"). Also have an extreme dislike for dealerships, and out of warranty. It usually makes the sound when I take a left turn at ~15mph up a hill after previously coasting down a small hill in my neighborhood.

Reactions: Gerry Thornhough

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
243 Posts
I just re-torqued my axle u-bolts today as I had started having some intermittent clunks on quick acceleration and slow driving suspension articulation. I torqued them to the 59lbft spec w/o the additional 135degree torque angle since I assume the factory already did the torque to yield on those. Drove about 30 miles since and no clunks yet. Since I was curious how loose they were, the driver side started moving at 50lbft and passenger side at 58lbft. Torque settings done with full weight of vehicle on the ground.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like the exception for the G80 requires 2x the end play of the non-G80 rear axle.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Yes, spring slap occurred fairly early for me.
U bolt tightening is almost necessary as a post break-in thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts