Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

First time I am posting on here, recently I had to bring my 2017 ZR2 back for dealership headlight replacement. I installed LED Low Beams and did not replace the dust cap (didn't fit with the LED heat sink). So being the engineer I am, I decided to 3D Scan the dust cap and create a 3D print of the extended cap.

Currently testing my first iteration of the cap, I hope it works!

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks Guys

Attachments

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Welcome to C'Fans

You'd make a bunch of friends real quick with a successful fitting .stl file for us to print locally.

Reactions: undersc0re

·
Registered
2015 LT SBCC 4x4
222 Posts
That's pretty cool!!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Props to you sir!

·
Registered
850 Posts
When will theses be available. I’d like some

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mark me down for 4. Got a large bug in mine after I swapped out the lows that makes me want to claw my eyes out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you guys are interested, shoot me a PM and I can give you more details. Made a few revisions (put some ribs like the stock piece). Tried it for a second time this evening and it works like a charm!

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
after having 2 of my LEDs burn out with the stock cap, I would gladly buy 2 from you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very nicely done bradster285! As already mentioned, you will make a lot of friends very quickly if you are able to do repeatable production of these! Does the light blue o-ring from the stock dust cap fit onto these as well? Eager to see the final rendering with the higher resolution and slower print speed! PM for information is on its way.

Thanks for posting this up!

Tony

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Tony,

To answer your question, yes the blue o-rings fit perfectly on the new design. I used a $60,000 3D scanner to get accurate dimensions up to 1 thou. The entire piece fits like OEM. Here are some pictures of the current print I am doing, bringing the resolution up is difficult for timing reason. If enough people are interested maybe I can pick up another printer and have two Going, drastically decreasing print time and giving me the ability to print at higher resolutions. I am coming up with a design now that I will share with the group soon.

Stay tuned :)

Thanks everyone for your support!

Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Really neat solution, thanks for sharing with others. You should print 'Bradster' on the top where GM labeled theirs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd love to do that! I was thinking about throwing the ZR2 logo on it but not everyone had a ZR2 lol. Too bad it would increase the print time like crazy!

Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.