Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I recently had a pretty bad experience with a dishonest mechanic who removed both my catalytic converters without my permission. I was able to get only one of the pieces back and I am now searching for replacment parts and was hoping for some advice.

1) Does anyone know if I will continue to get the P0420 code if I replace only the manifolded cat? Or will I absolutely need to replace both. It is quite an expensive endeavor to replace both!

2) Also I do both cats need to be the same brand?

3) I am looking for a manifolded cat that is as close to the original part as possible and was thinking a Walker cat might be the way to go for that piece. Does anyone have any experience with them? I am looking for something that will not need any modifications to install in that location.

4) I was thinking about a Magnaflow for the second cat but I am hesitant to have that installed as the guy who removed my original one already cut quite a large piece of the pipe out on either side. Do you think I will have trouble with the installation? Should I be looking for something that comes with the pipes as well given this is now my situation.

5) This is the piece of the manifolded catalytic converter that I was able to get back from the thieving jerk. Does anyone know if I can get any money for this and how? I am hoping to offset some of the cost of the new parts.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer my questions. Help, knowledge and experience are much appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Midnight Edition
55 Posts
Id just find a MIL eliminator and call lit good. Then again I like loud vehicles. If you really want them make the mechanic pay for factory replacement parts.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
What reason was the truck in the shop for, with him removing the cats?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id just find a MIL eliminator and call lit good. Then again I like loud vehicles. If you really want them make the mechanic pay for factory replacement parts.
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately making the mechanic pay for factory replacent parts is highly unlikely to happen here in Mexico :( Even with a police report and lawyer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately making the mechanic pay for factory replacent parts is highly unlikely to happen here in Mexico :( Even with a police report and lawyer.
I want to reventually have the option of reselling this truck so I'm would prefer to have the parts replaced rather than drive the truck without them. I am considering buying only the manifolded Cat. However, if you do know the answers to any of the questions that I asked I would appreciate that you comment to that. So I can make the best informed decision for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What reason was the truck in the shop for, with him removing the cats?
The manifolded Cat had cracked away from the pipe (PIC 1). I brought it in to have the pipe welded. They removed the manifolded cat and welded in a piece of pipe instead. They did not consult me first. Even if that was the ONLY way to fix the manifolded cat, which it was not, there was nothing wrong with the second cat, and they just straight up cut that out and said nothing.Also you can see from pic to that the honey comb inside of the cat was in decent condition before they cut it off. I think they thought I wouldn't notice/check that the repairs they did were different then what they said they were going to do. Are you able to answer any of the questions I asked? I am hoping to make an informed decision but honestly I need a bit of help with the details on what works and what doesn't. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I believe that all the cats need to be in place for the emission system to work correctly without having code issues.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that all the cats need to be in place for the emission system to work correctly without having code issues.
Thank you. I wasn't sure about this since my o2 sensors are both located on the manifolded cat.
Do you know if it is necessary that they both be the same brand or if Walker is a good way to go?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Don’t see why brand would have any effect. Walker has been around for many years making quality parts.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Cats can be removed and replaced with cat delete pipes if deleted with a tuner, but this system if for off road use and will not pass emission testing. Illegal and not recommended.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
303 Posts
If the secondary cat is beyond the front and rear o2 sensors, only the first cat would contribute to the cat inefficiency code in your case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts