Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the tutorials and many people swap out their gauges for different LEDs and just wanted to get some things cleared up before going into this whole thing:

-How hard is it to take off the needles and put them back in the right position? This is really my main concern. Don't want to break the needles or put them back in the wrong position and having it say I have 1/4 tank of gas when I really have 1/8 or something like that.

-I've heard needles from Hummer H3's fit in place of the orange needle and then you can change the color of those from the LEDs, is that correct?

-In a 2008, would the LEDs be through hole or SMT?

-To remove the cluster can you just pry off the trim around it or do you have to take off more of the dash?

Lastly, anybody have an old set of gauges they're willing to part with? I'd like to have one to practice on and experiment with different color combos.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,218 Posts
The trim around the gauges just pulls off. Just keep an eye on the metal clips.

H3 needles should fit... I used some white needles I found on ebay.

Needles are pretty easy to take off just use a fork or something to pry up on them

·
Super Moderator
5,218 Posts
Pictures are gone in this one becuae of photobucket crap but it's pretty descriptive https://www.355nation.net/forum/how-interior/7408-how-remove-cluster.html

How to recalibrate the needles is explained in a couple of the tutorials above. Take a pic of the gas gauge before removal so when you recalibrate it you know where it's supposed to be when you test it after installing new needles. Make sure engine is cold so the temp gauge is zeroed out when you remove that needle

·
Super Moderator
5,218 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
2 Participants
GregDAP
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing