Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4-cylinder 2006 Chevy Colorado. Driving along it sounded like it was starving for fuel and finally conked out. Had it towed back to my residence and noticed fuel pressure was in the dump. Bought and installed a brand new fuel pump, 265k miles, so felt it was time. All installed and same problem.... um ok. I hear the 2 secound run when key is turned and it almost starts but nothing. I am a bit lost...

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Could be fuel pressure regulator loosing pressure to the fuel rail. I believe there is a fuel pressure sensor located at the tank, also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know right after I attempt to start I go to the check port at the rail and fuel is just a little dribble

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Do you have an in line fuel filter between the tank and the fuel rail? Did you buy a decent brand fuel pump? Some of the aftermarket fuel pumps are not worth a flip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope it's in the tank, replaced with the pump. Kind of wonder what the unit towards the rear of truck that looks like fuel lines go to. Had a dry air filter that I blew out and put back. Not a clue. 2006 was a transition year makes it a pain.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
If it is the square plastic box with the clip on lines going to it, that’s the EVAP charcoal canister that fuel vapors from the tank go into, and then the vapors get sent back to the engine and reburned thrust the Purge Valve. The reason I asked about an in line fuel filter, just wanted to make sure that if you are not the original owner, is that someone may have installed one in the fuel line that runs down the frame channel to the front of the truck. As far as the EVAP charcoal canister, that is why you always hear the term Do not top off the fuel tank after pump shut off. If you keep pumping gas, when you reach the top of the filler neck there is a return line that runs straight down into that black box, and if you get liquid fuel in there, it is too much for the engine to return and you end up ruining the canister that sometimes costs $300.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Since the engine ran and died, can you scam the PCM for diagnostic codes and post them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Copy that. Nope bought the truck with 6 miles on it... been a great truck hate to send it to the grave yard

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I believe I would replace the fuel pressure regulator, cannot be too expensive. Really do not think it is ready for the grave yard yet. If the fuel pressure sensor was bad at the tank, it would set a code.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sent 3 wives packing still have truck, she is my baby. I will try the fuel pressure sensor if I can find it.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I tried to look up the fuel pressure regulator but cannot find it at GM Parts Direct. They do not have a complete parts list online.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
#16 is the fuel pump pressure sensor, the fuel pressure regulator will be mounted on the incoming side of the fuel rail at the engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
3 Participants
GregDAP
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing