Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2005 GMC Canyon back in October, off lease with 42,000 miles. I have a few questions / comments, and I wonder if anyone can give me feedback:

1) I hear of a common engine head problem. I have the 3.5L I5. GM says I have powertrain coverage to 75,000 miles. What are the initial symptoms of the problem? Would I be able to continue on (if on vacation) or am I dead in the water?

2) My engine speed sometimes drops too low in my opinion. I have noticed the tach will sometimes drop as low as 400 rpm (at around 20-30 mph) if I let off the gas to slow for a light or traffic.

I'm very pleased with the truck overall, and I'm really not picky about little things. The ride quality is great (better than my father's Tacoma) - and the acceleration on the 3.5L I5 exceeds expectations (have to be careful in the rain with hard acceleration). Gas mileage is good for a 4WD truck - I'm averaging 18-19 MPG combined city / highway. It has a few little noises here and there - I'm told that's a trait of the model so it doesn't really bother me. Besides, it's not affecting anything.

The price on the truck was $18,995 at a local GM dealer. Only half serious at the time, I offered them $16,000 and they went for it. (being there Satuday afternoon @4 might have helped). Realizing I was saving 6-8 grand over similar Tacoma's, I took a chance and signed the paperwork that Monday. So far so good.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
1) Head is covered to 100k miles. Multiple and random misfires are the symptom.

2) There is a PCM update for low idle rpm. If it has a loopiness to it - try cleaning the throttlebody.

·
Registered
96 Posts
idle

Take it to the dealer! Mine was starting to have a slightly rougher idle with NO codes. Went to the dealer and they are replacing the head. I get it back Monday. I also told the tech I would pay him $40 under the table if he gutted the cat in the exhaust manifold. Let's see if he does it. I hope!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts