Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals! I have an "04" colorado crew cab 2wd and have had issues since buying it new in "04". I wanted to see how common these problems were and any different issues anyone has had with their colorado's. Here we go- door speakers blown, cd player burnt up, right rear shock was bad twice, tires ( inner worn bald) by 16,000 miles (factory alignment bad), Transmission bad at 27,000 miles (factory rebuilt/replaced), Belt squeal in am (replaced serpentine belt), defroster (driver side) not blowing air out, front end squeaking (cross member rubbing frame), other squeaking under truck, bed mis-aligned, dash rattle at highway speeds, radiator cap replaced twice, fuel cap replaced, brake switch replaced. I believe I have listed everything. I love my truck but has been back to the dealer too many times. I am thinking my Indego Blue paint should have been "Lemon Yellow" LOL. I know usually the first year of any vehicle there are bugs to be worked out but maybe I need "Orkin" to exterminate the nest!! Thanks for reading this !!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have had the following:

- Stock cd player clock resets...fixed by PCM update. I have since replaced the head unit and all speakers.
- Low idle and steering wheel vibration. Fixed by a PCM update and an aftermarket cat-back exhaust.
- Belt squeal. Replaced the belt once and it has started to happen again, usually on rainy days. It goes away after the truck warms up.
- Brake light switch replaced three times.
- Several throttle body cleanings to attempt to resolve CEL. Ended up replacing the MAF.
- Bad MAF sensor (see above).
- Bad driver's side power locks/windows switch.
- Rotors out-of-round. I need to get them replaced yet again. Unrelated to my driving in my opinion.
- Squealing brakes.
- Recent dramatic MPG losses. Hasn't happened in the winter like this before. Could be age-related, new heavier tires, or both.
- I am a little dissatisfied with the hard plastics of the interior. My aftermarket door speakers rattle the plastic even after I dynamat'd the inside of the doors (both the plastic and metal).
- Front-end rattle. Described by dealer as steering knuckle hitting the backing plate. Fixed once and has returned.
- The infamous heat shield "buzz."
- The Generals lasted (surprisingly) 67,000 miles.
- If I remember anything else, I will update this.

Overall, I am still happy with this truck and have no plans to get rid of it. My list here is in no way meant to bash this truck. Of the vehicles I have owned, this is my favorite.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Guys most of the belt squeal is prob from the harmonic balancer or one of the belt tensioner's. At least that's what it is on 85% of the newer GM's. Changing the serp belt helps for a little while b/c it tighter and puts more pressure on the accessories.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Some of the problems you've listed are quite common. The first year Colorado had 181(or some number close to that) TSB's so they were plagued with small issues. Most of them were small issues.
For me I had
Heat shield buzz
A/C whistling
Belt squeaking
Bad gas mileage
Rough idle/ missing
broken power window switch
blown speakers 2
rattling interior(from many places)
broken seat handle
broken lumbar support knob
leaking valve cover
A/C not getting cold(thank the dealer for that. it was after they tried to fix the whistling)
HVAC controls becoming disconnected frequently(too much trouble for dealer to keep fixing. I had to learn to do it myself)
misc interior parts that wouldn't stay in place, like door sills kept needing to be snapped back in place.
Poor Keyfob range(sometimes I had to be standing at the door holding the keyfob to the glass, it was easier to open with the key.

I'm not as patient as others on this forum, and wasn't was disapointed at some of the cheap quality material used in the interior, as I lived with it for awhile(my knee would dent in the door panel so much that it was starting to get white lines in it, and you have to admit, the carpet just plain sucks).

All in all it's not a bad truck, good power, looks good, I just wasn't prepared to deal with the hassle of having a truck in that needed so many repairs AND a car payment too. I wanted either costly and hasslefree or cheap. The Colorado was neither for me.

WOW now that should be a record post. All this typing when I could've just said"yeah, they're common".

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here is my list -- although I don't think it is bad:

- Front speakers replaced (sounded blown - but first they replaced the radio for some reason)
- Blower motor replaced (had a high-pitched squeaking - still an issue though...)
- idler pulley replaced (although that did not take care of the chirping on cold starts on cold mornings)
- BATTERY displayed on D.I.C. occasionally - fixed with software upgrade
- Passenger door popped really loudly when opened more than 1/2 way.
- Front axle (or was it transfer case?) seal leaked
- brake-light switch replaced under recall
- AC charged once (although that is typical I think)

Everything was done under warranty, so no complaints here! 8)

This is just standard stuff.... every time we get a new car things like this happen no matter what brand it is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
problems - A/C whistle, brake light switch, front speakers, HVAC fan speed control, broken window & clips on driver's window, and what I thought was the 'heat sheild buzz' that was actually a bad muffler. All items were repaired or replaced under warranty, except for the speakers which I opted to replace w/ aftermarket. FYI - just went over 48k miles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
rkinney said:
Here is my list -- although I don't think it is bad:

- Front speakers replaced (sounded blown - but first they replaced the radio for some reason)
- Blower motor replaced (had a high-pitched squeaking - still an issue though...)
- idler pulley replaced (although that did not take care of the chirping on cold starts on cold mornings)
- BATTERY displayed on D.I.C. occasionally - fixed with software upgrade
- Passenger door popped really loudly when opened more than 1/2 way.
- Front axle (or was it transfer case?) seal leaked
- brake-light switch replaced under recall
- AC charged once (although that is typical I think)

Everything was done under warranty, so no complaints here! 8)

This is just standard stuff.... every time we get a new car things like this happen no matter what brand it is.

yea my right front speaker just went out....that covered under warranty still?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
All of these problems are very common on these trucks. Trans is ancient and subject to problems, speakers are junk, blower motors are junk, switches are subject to failure cheap mexican junk.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here's my list off the top of my head on my 2004, purchased new.

Heat shield on muffler banged loudly after shutdown (heat shield replaced)
Driver's side power window switch went out (replaced)
DIC would display "Low Battery" when cold, fixed with S/W update
Rough idle at 600 RPM, improved somewhat with new S/W to 650 RPM
Both front axle seals leaking (replaced)
Shock absorbers leaking (upgraded on my own)
Whistling A/C (never had this looked at)
All kinds of interior squeaks and rattles
Rear fender flares not attached properly, scratched the hell out of the paint. Took off and re-taped myself to fix since dealership was completely clueless on how to fix
Wind noise from passenger-side door. Dealer was never able to adjust door properly to seal right
Brakes were scary when moderate pressure was applied. Like the went from 50% force to 95% force in an instant
Throttle was jumpy when decelerating and at about 5% throttle. Truck would "buck" like I was tapping the throttle

Other than that, not too much went wrong in the first 36,000 miles :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, my 04 has a few of these too.

Squesky belt at start up.
Misalighned bed (1/2-3/4 difference)
A/C blower switch. (worked on low and high (no 2-3-4)
had the rough idle, not anymore with FIPK and Exhaust.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought my 04 new in Feb 05. I haven't had too many issues with mine (knock on wood). I am at 54k miles.

-Range of key fob is horrid, but I can live with that
-Low idle CEL...fixed with throttle body cleaning
-blower motor rattles/vibrates when heat is on (this started after I was rear ended)

I just replaced the generals at 52k miles

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well now that I'm at 55k mi. I have to say that I'm very impressed with my '04, seeing it is a first gen. The only problems I've had to date is the blower resistor and a "whistling AC line". Other than that, I'm very happy with my truck and after reading what some of you have had I feel very blessed. Oh yeah I just remebered, I did have them replace the squeeking HVAC fan also. Hey Wild Willy maybe we should trade colors. :lol: The range of the key fob is terrible on all of them. As for door panels mine are hard and squeeky also, something that they improved on my dads '06. I think his seats are more comfortable too.

·
Registered
529 Posts
damn. all you guys with all these problems. my truck is an 04, and none of these problems i've had. i guess mines a good boy outtta the bunch :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
my belt squeaks a bit in the AM, but it shuts up before Im out of the driveway.

probs I've had:
brake rotors warped slightly (prob got something to do with those couple of hot laps I took at road atlanta when I was cornerworking there)

AC fan stopped working in 1-2-3, only high worked...traced to a cracked plug under the passenger side dash

AC fan vibration, bad enough to rattle the whole dash. Traced to a bunch of crap stuck in the fan....gonna have to keep an eye on that one.

secondary cat fell apart internally. it didnt leak, but the internals broke loose and were rattling around inside, it was causing CELs and rough idle.

but my biggest issue was the fuel pump sending unit:
It cracked (dealer said it must have been a bad casting) and was spraying high pressure fuel all over the bottom of my bed. :shock:

I discovered this when I stopped at the bottom of my driveway to check my mail, left the truck running and got out, and wondered what that splashing sound was.

Needless to say chevy covered that one, they were VERY apologetic for nearly blowing me up :?

·
Registered
327 Posts
silverbirchrado4992 said:
/forum/images/smiles/censored.gif. all you guys with all these problems. my truck is an 04, and none of these problems i've had. i guess mines a good boy outtta the bunch :)
For me, having the problems I did, plus a dealer that I had to fight with to get anything fixed, and with them denying the problems, I didn't want to keep it. I sold it. Love my new truck though.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I in herited my truck in April 2007 and to date have put over 20,000 miles on it. My issues thus far:

1. Passenger side turn signal lense fogged.
*Replaced under warranty

2. Accessory belt squeeks on cold mornings.
*Quits before I leave my driveway

3. Blower fan excessive noise.
*Fixed with TSB under warranty

4. Front speakers suck, sound blown, dealer says is normal.
*Eventually I may upgrade the speakers and insulate the doors

5. Trans tail shaft seal seeping.
*Replaced under warranty

6. Passenger side door armrest of of allignment.
*Part replaced under warranty

7. Front end allignment poor causing excessive tire wear.
*Had re-alligned... still wearing on insides of tires

8. Have a mild clunk in driveline after comming to a quick stop. Doesn't really bug me and some have posted about it on here.

9. Slightly rough idle, but no CEL, cleaned TB before, chalk it up to the unbalanced nature of an inline 5 cylinder motor.

Other than that the truck has made an amazing daily driver. Furthermore, I've modded it to safely tow 6000lbs and have hauled my Corvette to the track 4 hours away in Danville, VA 4 times so far.

I'm very happy with the truck... it meets my expectations just fine... it's a truck, not a lexus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
silverbirchrado4992 said:
/forum/images/smiles/censored.gif. all you guys with all these problems. my truck is an 04, and none of these problems i've had. i guess mines a good boy outtta the bunch :)
I'm glad you've had no problems, but mine has a rap sheet as long as my arm.

1) Mis-aligned driver door
warranty

2) broken hood latch
warranty

3) buzzing exhaust heat shield
warranty

4) Two dead power window motors
warranty

5) defective driver power window switch
warranty

6) defective headlight switch
warranty

7) intermittant left hand DRL
warranty

8) defective radio
warranty

9) burned up heater resistor
covered at no charge after warranty expired

10) condensation in both DRL's
still an issue, just looks bad

11) Buzzing right front speaker
still an issue, oh well

12) Broken lumbar support knob
still an issue, I could almost swear the dealer broke it.

13) Mud flaps not properly installed.
They haven't fallen off, so I haven't bothered adding the missing screws.

I've owned it two years now, and I'm not sure I remembered all my repairs, thats sad. Now that the truck is out of warranty, I'm hoping all this stuff has worked itself out. We'll see.

Actually, I would trade out of the truck, but I'm still pretty far upside down, so I'll be driving it for a while. I am now at 40,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
15,978 Posts
Wow, I feel lucky.

1. recalled for brake switch (never gave me any problems).
2. replaced ECM under warranty for problem I can't even remember.
3. some wiring in A-pillar tried to catch on fire when ECM replaced. It was in shop at time.
4. Right DRL had issued until they pried up the contacts in the socket. No problems since.
5. Alignment issue. Fixed.
6. May have the head issue, haven't taken it in yet. Have plenty of time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
nobody else had the fuel pump sending unit issue?

maybe it was just a freak one time problem....figures Im the lucky bastard who bought that truck :?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts