Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm having an issue with my truck starting. It seems that sometimes when I try to start the truck when it's at temperature it has trouble starting. What usually happens is: I try to start it the first time and it won't start; the second attempt it starts but doesn't idle and stalls out; the third time it starts and runs great like nothing happened. It ONLY does this when the engine was at temperature then left to sit for under and hour. I've changed the air filter and replaced the battery terminal on one side. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,063 Posts
So, it fires up first try when cold?

My first instinct is the fuel pump and filter. Cold starts demand a richer mixture which could be masking the weak pump/clogged system. Once the engine warms up and the mixture leans out, the pump issues are more noticeable. Try a good fuel system cleaner and a fuel filter, then pump. The cleaner and filter should help it to flow better through the injectors. Pump would be last resort.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Another thing to check, w/ the Gen1's, is your fuel tank seal on top as they're prone to corroding + causing leaks. This impacts fuel flow to injector(s). Just throwing this out there...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, it fires up first try when cold?

My first instinct is the fuel pump and filter. Cold starts demand a richer mixture which could be masking the weak pump/clogged system. Once the engine warms up and the mixture leans out, the pump issues are more noticeable. Try a good fuel system cleaner and a fuel filter, then pump. The cleaner and filter should help it to flow better through the injectors. Pump would be last resort.
Hello. Thank you for your quick response. Yes. It always fires up when it's cold. And it only doesn't SOMETIMES when it has been to temperature and starts to cool off. I have tried both heet in my last tank and in this tank i filled day before yesterday I put in a fuel system cleaner. Didn't seem to help. I guess I'll try the fuel filter today. I have seen other posts about a fuel pump relay. What do you think of that idea?

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,063 Posts
Hello. Thank you for your quick response. Yes. It always fires up when it's cold. And it only doesn't SOMETIMES when it has been to temperature and starts to cool off. I have tried both heet in my last tank and in this tank i filled day before yesterday I put in a fuel system cleaner. Didn't seem to help. I guess I'll try the fuel filter today. I have seen other posts about a fuel pump relay. What do you think of that idea?
You can easily test the relay theory. Find the same relay in another slot and swap them. I'm not convinced though, since relays typically work or they don't, pun intended. 🙂

I would say it is 80% fuel pressure related. Could be clogged filter, fuel pump, leaky or clogged injectors or a bad fuel pressure regulator. See what happens with a filter first.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Check the tank for pressure, by removing the gas cap.
Then check back.
I saw one once that would build pressure only after been run for a while and it SEEMED to cause hard start when hot.
Ended up replacing the vent valve and all was well. My guess is the pressure caused some kind of fuel issue perhaps flooding? IDK?
I don't remember if it had a code or not, I don't think so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have a check engine light on with a P1133 code "H02S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor". Are these two things related? I will put it out there that it has NOT started when the light is off before. The light comes on and off on its own. I've only owned the truck for 3 months and this is the second time its come on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts