Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2017 Denali diesel. Love the truck but the odd tire size (255/55/20 = 31.1") leaves little AT choices. Has anyone with 20s gone to 275/55/20 or 265/50/20? My concern with the 265/50 is an even smaller sidewall. With the 275 would be fit and mpg. The diesel sits pretty close to level as is with only about 3/4" of rake. What have you guys made work?

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you want to keep your 20 inchers AND maintain your same diameter of 31" your choices may be limited. A 275/50-20 would keep your diameter and sidewall height about the same. They actually have several good choices in that size, but most appear to be street/sport.

That's one of the reasons I went with 17" when I ordered mine (not a Denali, a Z71). I swapped out the 255/65/17 for 275/60-17 and kept the exact diameter. But I wanted to loose the Wrangler AT's and and go with more of a street tire. Goodyear Eagle RS-A's

Some here will be more up to speed on LT truck sizes, so I'll let them have at it.

Here is a helpful tool.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

oh... and welcome aboard. I'm in eastern NC, too.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Let me know if you need any help with pricing or fitments.
18" polished aluminum wheels (not like a mirror, classy sophisticated soft polish like my wife's Summit Grand Cherokee wheels), 8.5" wide, no more than 35# or so, offset around -5 to -10, aggressive with clearance for aftermarket spindles but not stupid looking, Hubcentric. Doesn't look like ****.

Why is this so hard?

When my granny rolls with black wheels, it's overplayed guys. Yet every wheel is black. I ran black and chrome wheels 14 years ago, **** is old.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Before you get in too much of a hurry there will be more tires this size as we move forward.

It is a new size not a odd size.

I had the same issue with the 19" wheels on the wife's Terrain but in a year there were meant more options.

I would just move to the 275.

Also get the spec on these tires as all tires even listed as the same size are not the same spec. They can vary a little.

Note I own a Denali and I have a Goodyear/ Dunlop discount and I have never liked the RSA so I am going yo watch what they do. The Wrangler All Terrain is a good street off-road compromise tire. I may look at them.

Note I already see more 20" tires this size than a short time ago.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I picked up a 2017 Denali diesel. Love the truck but the odd tire size (255/55/20 = 31.1") leaves little AT choices. Has anyone with 20s gone to 275/55/20 or 265/50/20? My concern with the 265/50 is an even smaller sidewall. With the 275 would be fit and mpg. The diesel sits pretty close to level as is with only about 3/4" of rake. What have you guys made work?
Check out the Pathfinder AT which is a Discount Tire brand only tire. They look good, they have many sizes in this range, the price is right, and best of all they are lightweight.

It's my leading contender for tire right now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to find the Goodyear AT Kevlar in the Denali size. I'd change to the 275 without thinking twice if I could change my tire size with my diablo intune (like I could in every other truck). I also understand through searches that dealerships can't even change the tire size/speedometer

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd love to find the Goodyear AT Kevlar in the Denali size. I'd change to the 275 without thinking twice if I could change my tire size with my diablo intune (like I could in every other truck). I also understand through searches that dealerships can't even change the tire size/speedometer
You definitely can change the speedo calibration in the Diablo. I don't have one but was going to tune for that reason, among others.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Just off topic but good to know here.

Do use care with tunes on the Diesels as GM is outlining the dealers to search and report any recorded program changes in the computer.

Speedo should be ok but any performance mods that were put in and shown to cause a engine failure will not be covered under warranty.

I think the combination of the possible warranty issues from people doing too much of a good thing and the fact the EPA is hot and heavy on Diesels are in play here.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Has anyone with 20s gone to 275/55/20 or 265/50/20? My concern with the 265/50 is an even smaller sidewall.
The sidewall on the 265/50 will be about the same as the 255/55. That second number is a percentage of the width. You with see much difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
18" polished aluminum wheels (not like a mirror, classy sophisticated soft polish like my wife's Summit Grand Cherokee wheels), 8.5" wide, no more than 35# or so, offset around -5 to -10, aggressive with clearance for aftermarket spindles but not stupid looking, Hubcentric. Doesn't look like ****.

Why is this so hard?

When my granny rolls with black wheels, it's overplayed guys. Yet every wheel is black. I ran black and chrome wheels 14 years ago, **** is old.
The majority of people still using black and or chrome. Not to say I'm not with you personally, I roll polished on my truck. But you are correct, there really is nothing unless you're willing to consider a custom build? And even then it's still pretty limited I'm guessing. I haven't looked into doing a custom build for the twins yet.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The sidewall one the 265/50 will be about the same as the 255/55. That second number is a percentage of the width. You with see much difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This, it's the ratio of the sidewall to tire width. The 255/55 to 265/50 is only a 8mm difference.

Is the Denali size similar to the FS Siverado 20in sizes? I would imagine there will be more and more 20in options coming out with so many trucks and SUVs coming with 20s from factory now.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have 265/50/20s and I clear on a lowered truck. You should be able to clear a 265/55 or 275/50 with no problem. 275/55 is getting tall enough that you'd definitely need to correct your speedo

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I hooked it up it said tuning not available for this VIN. Wouldn't let me into adjustable parameters either.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
When I hooked it up it said tuning not available for this VIN. Wouldn't let me into adjustable parameters either.
I was wondering what you would get when you hooked it up. GM instituted deeper levels of security to their programming of 17's.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
That sucks about not being able to reprogram for tires if true.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ended up picking up a set of polished GM 18s and a set of 265/65/18 Goodyear Trailrunner ATs. I'm very happy with the look and ride. I'll keep the 20s and Bridgestones for long trips and to change up the look every now and then. The 265/65s don't seem to rub anywhere. They are only .4 of an inch bigger than the 255/55/20 (31.1").

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts