Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab, LT, Black with Chrome package, V6, 4x4
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was hoping i wouldn't ever have to ask about this or have to be concerned with it, but i am.

i have had my 2022 for about 2 weeks now. I have been hearing a noise that I assumed was due to things "relaxing" after driving for a bit. But it is not stopping. It's not getting louder, but it aint going away.

Explain this the best I can. I seem to be able to duplicate the noise consistently now. (I'm using a parking garage and a gas station as my examples)

Parking Garage - Let's say you are driving slowly on level / flat ground where there is no elevation change between the front and rear suspension. No noises. Now, you're heading downhill, or down a level, and when you hit the next platform, the front wheels are now on a level grade, while the rear wheels are still on the incline. Once this elevation changes, i hear a rattle / clunk on the right hand side. I thought it was coming from the front right, but It sounds like it's coming more from the right rear. This is one example of when I here it.

Gas station - just happened a little bit ago. the gas station i went to, has a slight decline as you pull in from the street. so at this point, my fronts are well on the gas station pavement, and the rear is making it's way onto the same level ground. but again, i have an elevation change when my wheels are one each surface. Again, when I drive slowly, it does this rattle / clunking noise.

I don;t hear it when I hit bumps in the road or any uneven surface. It seems to be inclines (going down or coming up).

I did a quick search, and although I can't explain the noise exactly, i hear issues all across the board from leaf springs, torque not per spec, etc. It's hard to determine based off what I am explaining, and i will end up taking it to the dealer. But to avoid that, i was hoping it might be something I can do on my end. Inconvenience to deal with scheduling and losing a whole day for something ridiculous. But obviously, will do it, if i can't figure it out.

hear of anything like this before?

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
1,110 Posts
i was hoping i wouldn't ever have to ask about this or have to be concerned with it, but i am.

i have had my 2022 for about 2 weeks now. I have been hearing a noise that I assumed was due to things "relaxing" after driving for a bit. But it is not stopping. It's not getting louder, but it aint going away.

Explain this the best I can. I seem to be able to duplicate the noise consistently now. (I'm using a parking garage and a gas station as my examples)

Parking Garage - Let's say you are driving slowly on level / flat ground where there is no elevation change between the front and rear suspension. No noises. Now, you're heading downhill, or down a level, and when you hit the next platform, the front wheels are now on a level grade, while the rear wheels are still on the incline. Once this elevation changes, i hear a rattle / clunk on the right hand side. I thought it was coming from the front right, but It sounds like it's coming more from the right rear. This is one example of when I here it.

Gas station - just happened a little bit ago. the gas station i went to, has a slight decline as you pull in from the street. so at this point, my fronts are well on the gas station pavement, and the rear is making it's way onto the same level ground. but again, i have an elevation change when my wheels are one each surface. Again, when I drive slowly, it does this rattle / clunking noise.

I don;t hear it when I hit bumps in the road or any uneven surface. It seems to be inclines (going down or coming up).

I did a quick search, and although I can't explain the noise exactly, i hear issues all across the board from leaf springs, torque not per spec, etc. It's hard to determine based off what I am explaining, and i will end up taking it to the dealer. But to avoid that, i was hoping it might be something I can do on my end. Inconvenience to deal with scheduling and losing a whole day for something ridiculous. But obviously, will do it, if i can't figure it out.

hear of anything like this before?
No, I personally have not. Most likely nothing major. Schedule an appointment at the Chevy where you purchased it, and go for a test ride with the technician. They will address it as it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
could be the leaf spring slap some people report, remedy install rubber in between the leafs on each end.
leaf spring bolts not tight
maybe axle u-bolts not tightened enough, doubt that
maybe a can of something under the rear seat that rolls and clunks, I have had that happen

only time I hear something odd is when I have a window down and driving by a wall, where the noise echo's back, so I do not try and do that.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Reactions: American Truck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without me knowing exactly what I am hearing, or where it's coming from, it's hard to say if these would solve my problem. Certainly easy to install. I am not hearing a squeak at all, its more of a jiggle, like something isn't secure. There's times it sounds like its coming from the front, and then the rear. More rear than not. its frustrating for sure. I'll make sure to test drive the mechanic around, just to avoid that "it didn't do it for us" comment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmmmmmm. not sure anyone would know this answer, BUT, let's say this is the issue. And the dealer "fixes" it. What will the dealer do to fix this problem, anyone know? Can't imagine they have a supply of "Spring Thing" on hand :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the truck into the dealer this past Tuesday morning. Needless to say, it's still there. Not quite sure the reason to make appointments, then have the customer drop their vehicle off for said appointment, and then it sit for a day or two until it can actually be touched. Anyways, they gave me updates as each day went on. Got a text late Wednesday saying it was just pulled in. Thursday, no changes. Today, got a message saying that parts are ordered and hopefully they will be in Monday. I asked if they had any ideas on what it could be, and they said they are hoping it's a leaf spring issue. That told me that they don't really have a clue what the problem might be. But they are going to replace the right rear leaf spring, hopefully that is the issue.

When he said they are hoping it's the leaf spring, that also told me they probably looked over every possible solution before coming to the leaf spring. But I'm no mechanic, so who knows the trouble shooting that is involved. Especially when there are only a few things in the rear that it could possibly be.

Luckily they hooked me up with a rental on Tuesday. Other than the inconvenience / annoyance of the issue at hand, I'm not really out anything. Other than being able to drive the new truck. I sure hope this leaf spring is the issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
welp, the truck is still not repaired, BUT, I do have some better news / not so good news. The truck is back in my posession as of today. I am able to drive it as it is with no concern of further damage (according to the dealership)

I am missing some details, so I can't explain exactly is the problem. But I was told that it has something to do with the C clip in the differential not being to spec. They said there is an actual bulletin out for this issue. I'm looking at my paperwork and it says "577 SOP Parts in document ID 5639197 for excessive endplay in axles causing clunk type noise". Assuming that that is all tied together?
The parts are on order, and they are looking at roughly a week or so for them to come in. Once they're in, i'll go back in to hopefully resolve the issue.

Once that's done, i'll return with more details as im sure it'll be spelled out a little more.

For now, I just need to live with the noise till then. I can do that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts