Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PIP5416A was released Aug 23 2016 to address some possible 2.8L harness install/routing issued. I decided to check mine as I prefer prevention over problems on the road and subsequent wiring repairs. I found one issue that needed addressing:

A harness runs up the right side of the bell housing and is fixed to a bracket that is attached to a bell housing stud. The harness is fixed in such a position that the bell housing stud is pressed into the harness. The location of the harness strap on the bracket is such that there aren't really any routing options. I expect this is a common issue.
The bracket is clamped between a bell housing nut and the bracket nut on the stud. I reached up with a hack saw blade and wiggled the blade until the end of the stud fell. It's cut flush with the bracket nut and the harness now has clearance. It took a little time but not too many expletives. The pic turned out lousy but I'll post it anyway. You will find better photos in the PIP. This is after trimming the stud. The stud is located just above the zip tie clamp but the pic is dark. You can see where the harness was pinched between the firewall and the stud. I'm too lazy to roll back under for another photo.
The PIP stated that damage in this area can possibly result in 4WD light, Stabilitrack light, MIL, P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0392, P0401, P0420, P062D and U0073

My lousy photo:

There isn't a lot of room but the stud can be cut without touching the harness...

From the PIP:

A number of additional areas were mentioned, all of which were fine on my truck
A/C compressor refrigerant line fittings to harness.
serpentine belt to fan clutch wiring.
Rear of exhaust heat shield to harness.
Coolant pipe clamps between engine and right side firewall rubbing on harness.
Harness routing in area of brake fluid level switch.
Transfer case encoder motor to harness.
Turbo actuator connector possibly not seated.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine looked a little different than the photo in the PIP. The slit in my convolute tubing was not aligned with the stud but the stud was working through the convolute antway. Not good having sharp pressure points on a harness, let alone in an area that sees catalyst heat. I'm good now...

Be careful all - it would be a shame to saw through your harness in effort to protect it from harm.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ummm, can someone map these areas to check (overlay pic and red circles would help)? I didn't know this was even a problem stock.... geez

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Mine is fine. Not rubbing at all. If it were in that spot, instead of cutting stud, i would remove the harness plastic clip and just tie it over further from the stud.
Checked all wiring harness routing for the heck of it. All looks good.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Here's the full TSB for anyone interested in looking for themselves. There are a few areas recommended to check

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seriously there are so many spots to be of concern because of quality control? That TSB goes on and on about where to find poor quality control and damaged wires. I paid good money for this time bomb of a truck. Regardless, that is the stuff you just don't see on the Toyotas and Hondas and anything German made. I hate that I can't trust this truck. It's not long for my garage. Turbo actuator wiring that is not plugged in all the way! WTF!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks for posting the TSB, I will definitely check that out when I'm home on a computer (doesn't seem to work from a phone).

These types of things make me wonder, why the hell didn't someone on the assembly line say something and get that fixed right away? Surely anyone with common sense who saw a harness pulled tight on a stud would know that's a problem waiting to happen, why not say something and get it fixed right away? Maybe this is what's missing from their workflow, a way for assembly line people to report problems?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The TSB shows 12 different locations with a chaffing issue. Just taking a quick look at my truck and I have 3 locations that need repair so far. I'm just disgusted.
Sell it and move on. I have yet to see any new vehicle lately that does not have a long list of TSB. Neighbor has a 2016 Mercedes that has been in the shop more than in his garage. Sister has a 2015 Hyundai that is having engine replaced next to thousands of others. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I agree with some but not all of this. My last car was an E46 M3. These cars have a few known latent defects such as variable cam timing mechanisms dropping bolts into the engine, rear suspension sub-frame mounts ripping out of the unibody structure etc. I could expand but what's the point? These cars have legendary German engineering which is perfect. Since the engineering is perfect there is no defect. Since there is no defect there will *never* be a correction.

The German build on the other hand seemed spot on whereas the Chevy seems to be correct in the areas that are visible to the line inspector.

All in all - I think I'll take my chances with the VM powered Colorado.
Lexus? That might be another story but they don't make pickups, do they?

FWIW my turbo actuator connector was fine. My alternator control connector fell out however. Nothing was wrong with the connector, it just wasn't fully seated.

What truck can you buy that doesn't have issues?

Seriously there are so many spots to be of concern because of quality control? That TSB goes on and on about where to find poor quality control and damaged wires. I paid good money for this time bomb of a truck. Regardless, that is the stuff you just don't see on the Toyotas and Hondas and anything German made. I hate that I can't trust this truck. It's not long for my garage. Turbo actuator wiring that is not plugged in all the way! WTF!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have to agree, My uncle works at Ford, he is constantly telling me about him having to replace the smaller 2.7 ecoboost engines or having to replace a head gasket on them, along with the already 3.0 diesel engines eating injection pumps, throwing metal through the entire fuel system

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes you do, to varying degrees. The almighty Honda Civic has a tsb out for the harness being pinched affecting the airbag system. Ask what that costs to fix (tsb, not recall). Toyota replaces frames, hundreds of thousands of v6 engines, the list goes on. All of it is super frustrating. It is kind of pick your favorite poison.

My truck (non diesel) had a wire on the exhaust manifold as well. Before I did anything myself, I asked the dealer and they secured it. It’ll never be a problem now.

That’s off topic though. TSB sounds really thorough and like a great way for an attentive owner to fix an issue before it’s actually an issue. At least they issued it; means they’ve probably addressed the problem at the assembly plant too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.