Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 Colorado diesel and I've asked GM about any issues due to accidental overfilling the tank and having fuel way up into the fill tube and I cant get an answer. I'm curious as to any issue causing problems like you'd have with the evap system on a gas engine. I have an extended warranty good to 100,000 miles so I dont want to do anything that would cancel the warranty by doing something like adding an extra fuel tank in the bed which would feed the tank with an aftermarket "Y" fuel fill tube. Fuel is a lot cheaper in Ky and I'd like to add the extra tank to take advantage of the cheaper fuel. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Not a problem on the diesel. Fill it to the brim like I always do.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My only thought about an extra tank is the weight. If' you're doing it just to get extra range from cheaper fuel (something I'd question the practice of if you actually have to drive a great distance just to get there), then fine. But if you're towing that extra weight could possibly put you over some limits.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How much more fuel do you want to add and tanker around?
I dropped the 21 gallon OEM tank on my '18 Z71 diesel and put in the Titan XXL 36 Gallon replacement. You get to keep the entire sq/ft of the bed without a transfer tank sitting and taking up space and you gain @ 15 gallons of fuel with the accompanying increase in range. Only adds @105 lbs to your stock "empty weight" when full of fuel which is little more than a rounding error if you load and / or tow to the max. No warranty issues involved other than GM won't cover a tank failure before or after OEM warranty is up, but Titan gives it a lifetime warranty anyway. At @ $800 for the tank, plus installation if you don't do it yourself (took me @ 3 hours...Run as much fuel out of the tank as you can before dropping the OEM!!) you'll pay a few hundred to have someone install it. FYI. The DIC won't accurately indicate fuel /range but the analog fuel gauge is accurate.
Now you have to do the math and see if it makes sense to do it. It will take a while to recoup the costs vs the benefit of tankering.
For me it was a no-brainer as I wanted the extra range while off-roading and overlanding while not carrying multiple fuel cans.(I do have one, 3 gallon RotoPax on the rack I carry when going on long solo trips but its not intrusive to the bed capacity)
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Only adds @105 lbs to your stock "empty weight" when full of fuel which is little more than a rounding error if you load and / or tow to the max.
Thanks for doing the math on that. For some reason I was thinking it would be almost twice the extra weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts