Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reaching out to see if anybody has noticed engine noise when their engines are cold. I know that diesels are much louder then their gas counterparts, but this noise is different.

I should note that I have had something bad happen to the truck from the dealerships "free maintenance". The second free oil change resulted in my oil cap never getting reinstalled, and left on the radiator / hood hinge area. I drove the truck for approximately 2 months, 1k miles like this. Out of nowhere I started getting oil spots on my driveway one weekend, and immediately popped the hood. I guess that is what I get for not making sure the dealership can get an oil change right.

The dealership changed the oil/filter, and cleaned up the engine bay as it had been thoroughly splattered in oil. To be honest, I was concerned about how bad of contamination happened in that time. Water, dirt, debris.... It is certainly stressful for a truck with 13k miles. After the oil change everything seemed fine, but I have started noticing that some times the engine makes some extra noise on cold start. This noise can be replicated when I try to pull out of my neighborhood and have to get the truck going fairly quickly. You can distinctly hear the noise go from louder metal on metal back to the normal diesel noise. I want to say it sounds more like top end noise then bottom end noise...

Once the oil is warmed up, I cannot replicate the noise. Are there other diesels out there that get this cold oil noise? It sucks how quickly I have gone from loving this truck to being nervous about it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't notice any unusual noise during cold starts.

GM won't warranty an engine damaged by negligence.

Hopefully you took pictures of how you found it. I would do a used oil analysis and pull the oil filter for inspection. If there are high metal readings in the UOA then it's indicative of some kind of internal wear or damage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did take pictures of how I found it, and the GM dealership acknowledged fault for the issue. They are the ones who did the oil change, and if they can really try to pass the buck off to me they are essentially saying that I am responsible for verifying their work.

I am considering doing a UOA because at this point this seems like even if it isnt an issue now, it will be down the road.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
If you never saw an oil idiot light then chances are your fine in the oil dept.

I'd put my money on the engine cleaning/degreasing getting into and degrading one of the open bearings on the serpentine belt system.

Try and video it. Also pop the hood when you hear it (if parked) and walk around and see if you can pin point where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you never saw an oil idiot light then chances are your fine in the oil dept.

I'd put my money on the engine cleaning/degreasing getting into and degrading one of the open bearings on the serpentine belt system.

Try and video it. Also pop the hood when you hear it (if parked) and walk around and see if you can pin point where the sound is coming from.
This is a good point, It very well could have been something secondary like this. I am going to try to pinpoint the source of the sound.

On start up the noise only happens for a split second, it seems putting it under load when its still fairly cold that seems to get the sound to be produced and last longer.

Definitely no Oil lights when I first discovered the oil cap issue. But who knows what could have gotten into the crank case in two months. Biggest concern being water, but its all speculation at this point.

I think I am going to do an UOA, and take a look at what the oil filter has collected since they changed the oil last week. I am hopeful the noise is something minor like the belts...

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
This is a good point, It very well could have been something secondary like this. I am going to try to pinpoint the source of the sound.

On start up the noise only happens for a split second, it seems putting it under load when its still fairly cold that seems to get the sound to be produced and last longer.

Definitely no Oil lights when I first discovered the oil cap issue. But who knows what could have gotten into the crank case in two months. Biggest concern being water, but its all speculation at this point.

I think I am going to do an UOA, and take a look at what the oil filter has collected since they changed the oil last week. I am hopeful the noise is something minor like the belts...

Water would likely be partly absorbed by the oil and trapped by the filter or steamed and vented and burned via EGR. Changing both the oil and filter should be fine. Oil pick up has a screen so anything big should be blocked from getting picked up and "washed out" of the pan with the oil change. I really wouldnt worry myself there. Only thing I could see worrying about would be the low oil light, low oil level would mean there is potential for low pressure and that would be bad.

Since you didnt see the light then there's very little chance you got close to even anything to worry about so IME, I wouldnt worry about anything other than the noise you need to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine is a little clanky for about 5 seconds on cold start. Always been that way.

Have to be standing outside of the truck to hear though.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most diesels are a bit more clattery or clanky when cold. Has to do with compression ignition and how not great it is until things have warmed up a bit, as I understand it. Mine settles in after a few seconds, but I haven't been in anything colder than the 50s yet; my dad's ecodiesel clatters for about 2-3 minutes until warm when its cold out.
Certainly worth watching given the history, but it may be a case of you noticing something that was always there simply because you are now paying attention due to the dealer's previous stupidity.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Strange, mine is somewhat opposite. It is a bit quieter than normal for the first 5 seconds, then the normal clatter settles in. Love the clatter in our trucks!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Strange, mine is somewhat opposite. It is a bit quieter than normal for the first 5 seconds, then the normal clatter settles in. Love the clatter in our trucks!
That is because at the moment of starting, there is no load on the engine. After a few seconds, the AC compressor engages putting a slight load on the engine and thus the sudden increase in clatter. The same as if you lightly press the throttle with the brake on. If you shut your AC off and restart cold the next day, the compressor will not engage and it will be quieter.

Reactions: DiNoto

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I think lqdchkn was pretty close in his theory. Over the following days from my post I kept trying to recreate it. It stopped doing it when it first started up, and only would do it under sudden load when cold for a split second. It got quieter, then it stopped happening. Chalking it up to stuff being left over from cleaning up the engine bay getting into the pulleys etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Anybody get a low speed in-gear surge / idle bounce? between 4mph and 10 mph I am getting a consistent repeatable idle bounce, and it does it while in gear and TC being partially loaded so the truck lurches with the surge. It'll even do it while braking in that same region. Truck is a 4x4 in 2wd mode.

It is a consistent hysteresis in terms of frequency and magnitude. I do not see any idle bouncing in "neutral" as far as I can tell. Truck just started doing this the other day, and it is consistent.

This weird behavior is certainly new, but I have been noticing harder upshifts and downshifts, and other just weird things going on with the truck.

I looked over all connections from intake to TB, didn't find anything loose, or any split couplers, as the idle issue I would usually move to look at air flow metering issues.

I other news, my overall average fuel economy is down 3-4 mpg right now as well.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Anybody get a low speed in-gear surge / idle bounce? between 4mph and 10 mph I am getting a consistent repeatable idle bounce, and it does it while in gear and TC being partially loaded so the truck lurches with the surge. It'll even do it while braking in that same region. Truck is a 4x4 in 2wd mode.

It is a consistent hysteresis in terms of frequency and magnitude. I do not see any idle bouncing in "neutral" as far as I can tell. Truck just started doing this the other day, and it is consistent.

This weird behavior is certainly new, but I have been noticing harder upshifts and downshifts, and other just weird things going on with the truck.

I looked over all connections from intake to TB, didn't find anything loose, or any split couplers, as the idle issue I would usually move to look at air flow metering issues.

I other news, my overall average fuel economy is down 3-4 mpg right now as well.
Try turning off the "high Idle" option in the DIC.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
High idle was already set to off. This behavior doesn't happen every time I drive, but it is repeatable once it happens within the same drive / operation cycle 100% of the time. It is usually accompanied with the transmission shifting logic behaving oddly (not up shifting at the normal points), and hard shifts (both up and down).

It is almost as if the truck's 4wd system is acting up, but I leave the truck in 2wd 99% of the time. Only started happening very recently, I have had the truck for about a year and a half at this point. No CEL's or service warnings. I am starting to wonder if the truck had a software update during the botched oil change, because all the different behaviors coincide to that point in time.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
High idle was already set to off. This behavior doesn't happen every time I drive, but it is repeatable once it happens within the same drive / operation cycle 100% of the time. It is usually accompanied with the transmission shifting logic behaving oddly (not up shifting at the normal points), and hard shifts (both up and down).

It is almost as if the truck's 4wd system is acting up, but I leave the truck in 2wd 99% of the time. Only started happening very recently, I have had the truck for about a year and a half at this point. No CEL's or service warnings. I am starting to wonder if the truck had a software update during the botched oil change, because all the different behaviors coincide to that point in time.
Is it actually set to "off"? Reason I ask is because the feature has been known to just not have any option selected which doesnt exactly mean it's off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.