Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i read today on my news feed that the leaked info from Canada was released on the new 3.0 Diesel coming to the silverado and sierra. The news is pretty underwelming and makes the choice to go with the 2.8 on the colorado/canyon a no brainer. Firstly the power numbers are a nice bump with 282hp/450lbft, but only equipped with the 10 speed automatic they are rating it 20/28 mpg 2wd, 18/26 mpg 4wd. The biggest stat that makes no sense is the tow capacity of only 7700/7800lbs on 2wd/4wd. Its a little interesting that its way under the ford 3.0 10K+ and just barely above the colorado/canyon. The biggest concern i see here is the 2.7L gasser has been leaked to get 26mpg on the hwy, so deciding between the 2 engines will be a tough sale for GM.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
And I got shot down saying there was no way in hell it would get 30MPG.

Still tempting, though. 26 MPG in a full-size 4X4 is still amazing, let's not undersell that part.

Kind of stepping on their Johnson with the tow rating being only 100lb more than the twins, though, that's hilarious.

--

We stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, the Rope from the Army, and on the seventh day when God rested, we overran His perimeter and stole the Globe, and have been protecting our shores ever since: United States Marines.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The 1500 is available with the max tour package, so if equipped, a diesel could be close to the F150.

However the MPGs are disappointing. But in order to pass emissions they tuned it as necessary. If you noticed the Ram Ecodiesel was derated on fuel economy after 2017 due to a switch to 40wt oil and new ecm/tcm programming. With that said, GM may be best in class.

I’m kinda glad I got a Canyon 2.8 now...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My neighbour was waiting for the tow numbers on this 2019 inline six diesel. After finding out, he went down and picked up a Canyon diesel , cost less, gets better fuel economy, tows rating only 100 lbs less than new 1/2 ton, it was an easy decision.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad you posted this, I had no idea the specifications on the inline 6 were out.

282hp/450lbft, from a 3.0 diesel is pretty impressive. And as an inline 6, the NVH / N&V should be excellent. One might think the VM 2.8 is the correct choice if MPG is the only criteria, but 282/450 would sure wake up the dog slow diesel Colorado.

Sadly, it seems unlikely that the 3.0 inline 6 would fit or that GM has any incentive to even try- the new Ranger looks pretty anemic with the current production specification.

-Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm one that'll at least look at the 1500 diesel... problem is I'm currently driving a Colorado diesel for longer trips and my Ram 1500 is my around town truck. I'd love to have a diesel in both vehicles, but the Ram gets a ton of short trips and I'm not sure I trust the diesel for that... I'm all ears if I should though...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they put the 3L in the colorado/canyon then I'd be willing to trade but I doubt that will ever happen. A tune on this one instead...
i seriously doubt that, they already mentioned that electric is the way they want to go, that the diesel engine line is just interim tell they finish the research and development on the electric drive train on the pickups. That the release of the new 2.7L gas and diesel engines is to stay compliant with federal requirements to continue the sale of other model vehicles aka corvette....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm one that'll at least look at the 1500 diesel... problem is I'm currently driving a Colorado diesel for longer trips and my Ram 1500 is my around town truck. I'd love to have a diesel in both vehicles, but the Ram gets a ton of short trips and I'm not sure I trust the diesel for that... I'm all ears if I should though...
The 2.8L is perfectly fine doing short trips around town, from what i have gathered, most of the short trip issues have gone away since the 2016 model trucks and even then i read a program change was made with the def sensor recall to fix most of these issues. The main issue with short trips and the DEF is that stop and go traffic creates way more soot vs just highway driving or cruising country roads. So the DPF will fill up at a faster rate, requiring more cycles of regen to burn it off, but when the truck goes into regen people are clueless of this operation happening, so they will park and turn the truck off while in the middle of a regen cycle, making it start over the next time you turn the truck on. If you pay attention you can tell when its in a regen cycle or better yet buy a engine monitor if you need a easier way to tell and just keep an eye on the dpf % tell regen, because when it goes in regen all you do is let the truck finish and continue with life, its the ones that let it start, drive 3 minutes down the street, turn it off, then start the truck up again letting it start over again, making the regen re-occur many times over and over tell you finally drive long enough to let it finish. The regen takes between 15-20 minutes usually, my Dodge diesel, i have a tuner w/monitor that allows me to monitor it and manually start the regen, so if i knew i would drive for 20+ minutes i would kick it into regen and clean it out up till i deleted it and no longer had to care. Regen should only occur every 2,000-5,000 miles based on your driving habits.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I honestly feel the 2.8 has plenty of power in the Canyon. Especially at highway speed.
I got to ride in a Colorado Zr2w/ dpf delete local to me, wow such a night and day difference in acceleration and power on just tune 3. It was rather difficult taking off without barking the tires honestly in his Zr2

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Our trucks would be phenomenal if we had that drivetrain. It'll never happen however.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If I was running GM, I would put the 2.7 turbo 4 in the next refresh of the twins as the gas "upgrade engine" instead of the 3.6. I also like that the 2.7 was designed from it's inception as a truck engine, and it appears the 2.7 will handily better Ford's 2.3. Putting the 2.7 in the next gen twins seems like a no brainer.

It will be interesting to see if the 2.8 continues in the twins. I hope so, but GM may not want to have the 2.8 competing with the 3.0 in any way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The local Ford dealer called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that they had in stock one of the F150 diesels. I asked how much. The one they had was a cool SEVENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS! I actually laughed out loud, told him that I had already bought a '17 Canyon diesel for a little more than half that much, and that there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $70k for a truck. Thanks but no thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts