Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GMC Canyon sle extended cab
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some help attempting to change the ECTS on my 2015 Canyon 2.5 I4. The location is a real pita and took a bit to locate. I wonder what is holding the heat shield on as it needs to be remove. There seams to be a Rivet on the side facing the firewall. Thanks. Jay

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Looks like a snap ring in your picture, a C clip. By the looks, you may just pull up on the metal bracket and the C clip would disengage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes no problem with removing the C clip it’s the heat shield that protects the sensor that I’m having trouble removing. It needs to taken off to pull the C clip. My only access is laying over the engine bay on the drivers side with room for one hand.😖

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
Yes no problem with removing the C clip it’s the heat shield that protects the sensor that I’m having trouble removing. It needs to taken off to pull the C clip. My only access is laying over the engine bay on the drivers side with room for one hand.😖
any way you can get a better pic? I know it's not easy.
I would try prying up on it with a flat blade screwdriver. By up I mean up in the pic.
Maybe it's not a rivet but just a pin that it slides onto.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
It looks like you need to pry up on the bracket/shield, that looks like what is retaining the clip.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Ok, I am looking at the service manual, and if that is the sensor on the side of the thermostat housing, there is a screw on the side of the metal bracket, retaining the bracket. They are calling that sensor the Thermostat Heater. The ECTS is in the lower radiator, with a C clip.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
Ok, I am looking at the service manual, and if that is the sensor on the side of the thermostat housing, there is a screw on the side of the metal bracket, retaining the bracket. They are calling that sensor the Thermostat Heater. The ECTS is in the lower radiator, with a C clip.
What in the world?! t-stat heater?!

Reactions: tech chart

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
That’s what the Helm service manual has it labeled. Sounded unusual to me too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The manual doesn’t happen to show the type of screw? I can feel something on the back of the shield but there’s no way to see in there. GM is usually torques head on the new trucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the sensor has failed completely now it’s minus 12Celsius Out and the dash temp gauge reads 150 Celsius. I’m aware of the sensor in the Rad as well, but the dealer didn’t have that one in stock and had not sold on in a long while. He and I figure the sensor of the thermostat housing would be the most likely on to go. The truck is very hard to start as it thinks it’s warm and doesn’t feed enough fuel for a cold start. My latest question is does anyone know which of the 2 sensors feeds the display on the dash? Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Can you hang a small mirror down next to the bracket to see what you are dealing with? I use a small inspection mirror on a handle from my Machinist days. Sounds like you are guessing at what is the problem. Throwing parts at it can get expensive and still may require a trip to the shop. I like to pay an hour check out charge, then fix it myself.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
Well the sensor has failed completely now it’s minus 12Celsius Out and the dash temp gauge reads 150 Celsius. I’m aware of the sensor in the Rad as well, but the dealer didn’t have that one in stock and had not sold on in a long while. He and I figure the sensor of the thermostat housing would be the most likely on to go. The truck is very hard to start as it thinks it’s warm and doesn’t feed enough fuel for a cold start. My latest question is does anyone know which of the 2 sensors feeds the display on the dash? Thanks again.
Yes, what he said about the mirror.

Unplug the one in the radiator and see what it does, try to eliminate it that way.
Also, can you just take the whole housing off??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was able to remove the heat shield from the sensor it’s held on with one 7mm bolt used a flexible mirror to see what type it was. This allowed me to unplug the sensor to see if the temp reading changed on the dash and on my scanner. No luck gauge on the dash is still @ max temp and scanner reads 265 Fahrenheit. I unplug the sensor on the lower rad as well, no change. With COVID we are in lock down here and getting service is difficult. I’ll be calling tomorrow fingers cross I can get it looked at. Thanks for all the help. Jay. I’ll try and follow up

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Can you provide a DTC from the scanner?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up to my original post. The coolant temp sensor was the problem and is located at the back of the engine in the thermostat housing. Very difficult to get to up against the fire wall but by removing the engine cover there is just enough room for one hand hold a small screw driver to remove the C clip while the other hand reach around the side and grabs the clip. I first unplug the sensor which change the temp reading on my scanner from 265 F to -40 F this confirmed a bad sensor which had crack and was leaking coolant. Part 306 in the diagram. Located the sensor with a Mechanics mirror and then everything was done by feel laying over the engine. Thanks for everyone’s help saved me a expensive tow for a $20 dollar part.
Vertebrate World Organism Mammal Font

·
Registered
2 Posts
any way you can get a better pic? I know it's not easy.
I would try prying up on it with a flat blade screwdriver. By up I mean up in the pic.
Maybe it's not a rivet but just a pin that it slides onto.
It's takes a 7mm to remove bolt on the back side of that plate. Then take the c clamp off.. followed by the thermostat thermometer be able to be relieved. Best way is to just take the thermostat housing off and address it off the vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewcab 4WD White
1 Posts
So I just replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor on my friends 2016 Colorado 2.5 4cyl, since info online was so sparse and the diagram here helped me a bunch, figured I'd add my experience. He was having the issue where the Fan was running after the engine was off, AC wasn't working and temp gauge wasn't working. Auto part store code reader directed him to this part.

Item 305 in the diagram above is the part and 306 is the clip holding it in.

I removed the engine cover by removing one bolt on the top and removing the oil fill cap. I also had to remove 1 screw holding the air intake plenum to be able to move it slightly out of the way. The Engine cover has tabs that slide into some slots on the back of valve cover, so you need to lift the front up and pull it towards you to remove. I also removed a metal heat shield on the the right side of the valve cover to give me some extra room, it was only 4 bolts on top.

The sensor is on the back of the engine, towards the top right area, the diagram above is spot on. Unfortunately you can't see it all, I used a mirror, but since it and the housing it's in was black plastic, it was still hard to identify. If you put your hand on 311, follow that to 303, you will feel the sensor on top and the wire harness. My picture below points to it from the top, but you can only barley touch the top of the harness from above, I had to reach around the right side, just above the exhaust manifold. Gloves in the pic were also worthless, let the engine cool some to do this, the only way you can find it is to feel it. I removed the sensor using a 90 degree pick to remove the metal clip holing it in place. It then just lifted out of the hole and I was able to move it to where I could see it, to then unclip the wire harness.

Same steps to put it back, pushed it down into the hole firmly and clip the clip back on. Due to the location, awkward reach of the location and my soft hands, I used a flat wrench handle to help get leverage to push the clip back on. The pick of the installed sensor below was after I installed it the first time. After we cranked the engine, it started spraying coolant from the sensor, so that may show it too high or the clip not far enough in, but I'm not sure. I removed it again, made extra sure it was pressed in firmly and that the clip was pressed on firmly and it worked the second time, no leaking. The area had coolant around and the exhaust manifold was hot again, so I didn't want to stick my phone in for another pick. So far the AC and temp gauge are working again, fingers crossed, good luck to anyone trying this.

Atmosphere Cloud Ecoregion Nature Sky
Hood Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior
Liquid Wood Paint Gas Tints and shades

1 - 19 of 19 Posts