Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought the 2.5" lift from auto springs and put on 285/70/17 terra grappler g2's. i got my truck back from the shop saturday and told them to make sure the tires weren't rubbing. however, they do when i make sharp turns like u-turns. i drove my truck around in an empty lot and would make my tires rub then park and go underneath the truck to see where it was happening. i took some pictures of it, the left side was worse then the right. i was wondering if either bump stops or wheel spacers would do the trick? i'm not looking into buying new wheels just yet

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Were they stock wheels or new wheels? Based on multiple threads out there, if you change the offset, you will rub on 285/70/17. Some people have made modifications, but still seem to rub slightly. I'm getting the three inch Icon lift, but only doing 265/70/17's since I hate rubbing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rubbing on the fender liner isn't a huge deal. It's not good but not a huge deal. You can manipulate the plastic with a heat gun and re-shape it to where it doesn't rub (if there's no support bracket behind it in the rubbing spot)

Hitting the sway bar is deff not good thou. You want to avoid that at all costs.

Spacers would lower the offset of your wheel, essentially. It should space it away from the sway bar.
Your tire shop didn't help you out too much, so I wouldn't be too quick to go back go them. Some shops have spacers in stock that they will let you try out or fit for rubbing purposes, then gain a sale after doing so.....so go see what you can do before buying parts and test fitting yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are on the stock wheels. I was thinking of getting spacers for it but I don't know how big of a spacer I would need for it to stop rubbing. I'll see if any place has any to test however I don't know if any places have any for the Colorado yet

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know if this will help you Blakecarlotti, but a spacer may help you with those tires. The Zone lift (2.75") states "If you’re looking to get the benefits of both the leveling and body lift and save a some a few bucks, the combo kit is a great option. This 2.75″ combo kit offers a level stance and room for up to 285/70r17 tires on factory 17″ wheels." However, not every 285/70/17's run the same dimensions, and Nittos in general run a little larger. Just an FYI, the factory backspacing is 5.75", while the Icon lift states that you need 5.25" backspacing with a three inch lift and tires up to 32x11". In order to be on safe side (and not ripping apart fender flares, I ordered the only wheel i could find with a 5.25" backspacing (Fuel Hostage's 17x8.5) and a 265/75/17 Nitto Trail Grappers (by Nitto's measurements are just shy of 32x11". I am still waiting for the wheels and Icon kit to arrive, so I am still around 4 weeks away from photos. Sorry for your tire issues! This magical backspacing between 5.25" and 5.75" is very confusing, and make finding the right tire size difficult.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help! I just noticed on auto springs is that they recommend a wheel with 4" back spacing with my tire size. Since I'm still running the tires on the stock wheel and its backspacing is 5.75" I need a 1.75" spacer to make it 4" if I'm not mistaken. I'm kinda new to all of this stuff

·
Registered
20 Posts
i bought the 2.5" lift from auto springs and put on 285/70/17 terra grappler g2's. i got my truck back from the shop saturday and told them to make sure the tires weren't rubbing. however, they do when i make sharp turns like u-turns. i drove my truck around in an empty lot and would make my tires rub then park and go underneath the truck to see where it was happening. i took some pictures of it, the left side was worse then the right. i was wondering if either bump stops or wheel spacers would do the trick? i'm not looking into buying new wheels just yet
I have the exact same setup with the same tires i also am debating what size spacer to use. looks like 1.5 to me. I am not happy with the tire shop that did mine. It was the same issue, i wanted them to check if they cleared and they said they did. They hit the sway bar. I modified my inner wheel well brackets and took 1 inch out of the front.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought some 1.75" spacers and that didn't work since it caused my tire to now hit the front fender. So now after all of that I just plan on dropping a tire size

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
they recommend a wheel with 4" back spacing with my tire size.....I need a 1.75" spacer to make it 4" if I'm not mistaken.
I feel your pain, I am unsure how the kits state it can fit around the sway. I am trying a few things to make it work, checking out if a sway bar drop or extended sway bar end links will help, but I have already given up the ghost on my 285s and dropped to 275s and are putting on 5mm spacers. Will keep circle back to my thread if its fully successful.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-...aller-tires-less-lift-other-weird-things.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought some 1.75" spacers and that didn't work since it caused my tire to now hit the front fender. So now after all of that I just plan on dropping a tire size
Do you have any pics of where it hits?I was thinking a body lift and spacers might be a good idea. I was trying to avoid a body lift though. Do you have any pics with spacers? i was trying to devise a sway bar relocation bracket, but it may be too much of a pain. I would only need 1/2 to clear tires but with flex i may need more. I go rid of alot of the rubbing by modifying my front lower inner fender bracket. I took over 1/2 out still looks factory. At this point i may make bump stops, i will only loose less than 1/4 inch of the steering wheels turning ability.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Do you have any pics of where it hits?
I will post some pics tonight on my set up.

I was trying to avoid a body lift though. Do you have any pics with spacers?
A body lift wont change the sway bar hit, only the fender walls. I have pics throughout all stages and can get some posted.

I got rid of a lot of the rubbing by modifying my front lower inner fender bracket. I took over 1/2 out still looks factory.
Need to see some pics on that, maybe a short post.

·
Registered
20 Posts
front inner fender mod

Inner fender mod. gained over 5/8 clearance from original. I am looking into a sway bar relocation bracket like Toyota uses moves it 1 inch forward. this will clear tire.I am not sure if the bolt hole distance is the same or close. i do not have a Toyota to measure. Dodge uses a drop relocation bracket on their 2.5 inch lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
pics With lift 2.5 front 1.5 rear Auto Springs kit

Pics.It sure looks pirty. I just need it not to rub.

Attachments

Reactions: camerajunkie

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Inner fender mod. gained over 5/8 clearance from original.
You really should post a new thread, this is good stuff, and helps the next guy.

I am looking into a sway bar relocation bracket like Toyota uses moves it 1 inch forward.
That's the same that i was viewing, just checking to see if its enough movement forward. The RAMs (the slanted brackets) dont look like they would work (IMO), plus they are pushing 2" downward, too much for my setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have any pics of where it hits with the spacers? I have modified my front inner and moved the sway bar. The only rub I have now is at the rear of the tire to the frame. I relocated my sway bar 1 inch forward an 2 inches down using Rough country drop brackets part 1019. At full turn it still rubs the inner part of the sway bar and frame. I am thinking 3/4 spacers will do it. Honestly most of my noise was the tire rubbing going under the sway bar at full turn that is gone now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you take some pictures of the sway bar after relocation kit is installed? I have a 2015 Colorado with zone combo lift and bfgoodrich mud terrain km2 and i get rubbing on sway bar at full lock. If this relocation kit will fix it that would be great the kit doesnt say it will fit are vehicles did the kit go on with no problem?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I am thinking 3/4 spacers will do it. Honestly most of my noise was the tire rubbing going under the sway bar at full turn that is gone now.
Can you take some pictures of the sway bar after relocation kit is installed?
Just an FYI, i found a fabricator in town who is taking on the challenge. I am looking at 1" forward and probably 1.25" down.
If it solves the issue, he is planning on milling another 10 or 20. Hes getting a cost together for me, and will let you know how it works with pictures. I am sure I will be paying the R&D costs, but it would be worth it not having it rub.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
I really need to get behind my tires and check my sway bar out. I have 1.25 spacers but as I have read, they may not have totally eliminated me hitting them at times.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just an FYI, i found a fabricator in town who is taking on the challenge. I am looking at 1" forward and probably 1.25" down.
If it solves the issue, he is planning on milling another 10 or 20. Hes getting a cost together for me, and will let you know how it works with pictures. I am sure I will be paying the R&D costs, but it would be worth it not having it rub.
I've been flipping through posts, sorry if I missed it but are these available or is there anywhere I can buy a relocation bracket? Thanks
Phil

1 - 20 of 40 Posts