·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Neighbor had one for a beat around town truck. Had a nice set of wheels on it and it was a cool looking truck.

Too bad they rotted like a Vega. It is hard to find a good one today anymore in the Midwest.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Datsun had something similar and then Ford came out with the Courier before the Ranger, and Chevy came out with the S-10. Can't recall the exact time frame order, but now we have compact trucks that are about the size of the full size back then. How long before somebody come out with a mini truck again?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Datsun had something similar and then Ford came out with the Courier before the Ranger, and Chevy came out with the S-10. Can't recall the exact time frame order, but now we have compact trucks that are about the size of the full size back then. How long before somebody come out with a mini truck again?
Speculation is Ford is now testing a Focus based truck now.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/14/ford-focus-pickup-spy-photos/

The next big thing will be CUV based unibody truck models. Hyundai has one coming, Honda has one now.

All the MFG's are looking for ways to leverage the CUV models into expanding sales with some modifications. They feel that there is a segment of buyer out there that just wants an open bed but not towing. They also want something that will easily fit into a suburban garage and urban parking lots.

They will be kind of a CUV/Ute/Truck hybrid.

It will be interesting to see what folks will try.

GM already has a Montana overseas and could replace it with something that could be sold here too? The Montana is too small right now but the replacement could change that.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I remember those little Datsun 520 and 320, etc pickups.

Speculations abound as usual . . as to what some think people want.
but in fact - - - http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12/new-compact-unibody-ford-pickup-coming-2021/
And, in fact, these below are already being built. Based on the Gamma (Sonic) platform.
In Brazil and some other locations, There still are Chevy Compact trucks.
This Montana compact truck (Tornado in Mexico) would be great for running around. I could see kids hopping them up. They are more car based, but claim reasonable good tow/load capacity for their size.

Nice looking little truck

Cooler Down South: The Chevrolet Trucks of Brazil | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide® The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

And Datsun started the mini pickup trucks in the '60s.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/curbside-classics-the-first-mini-pickups-datsuns-1964-320-1200-1967-520-1300-1969-521-1600/

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing one of these trucks. I was born in '88, but even at classic car shows, I feel like I would remember it if I saw one....

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing one of these trucks. I was born in '88, but even at classic car shows, I feel like I would remember it if I saw one....

A friend of mine used to buy nothing but Chevy LUV trucks. They rusted out . . . a LOT. So probably not many around except in warmer climates. The rust belt was hard on them. And . . mechanically they weren't too great.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I was hoping when they announced the Colorado was going to be built again that it was going to be the size of the Luv or Datsun, not this 1990's full size truck that it is.
I had a brand new Blue 1974 Datsun, it cost me $2,085 including the optional AM radio and Rear bumper. I did lift it up and put larger tires with white spoke wheels on it. It had a 100hp 4 bangerThey did no come out with factory 4wd until 1980 but there was several companies making 4wd kits for them

It had a 100hp 4 banger in it that had solid lifters in which I could adjust them for low end torque for off roading or for high rpm cruising.

My good friend back them always had LUV 4X4's

·
Registered
229 Posts
My first truck was an '85 720 5-speed. Originally bronze and painted midnight blue metallic with a 3" body lift and a color matched spray in bedliner. I drove it through a good part of high school and need to scan the pictures and upload them soon but it was similar to this one.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts