Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have taken it to two dealers. One lied said they wiped the transfercase clean and found nothing. Thats when I took this pic.

The second dealer said its "normal seepage" and NOT to clean it off?? Im thinking about taking it to a regular trans shop for diagnosis to take back to them..

There is alos a "Knock" in the suspension/Steering they play like they cant hear.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Agree. There is an obvious impact point and rub marks in the 1st pic.

I suppose they are going to fight it as this is impact damage, but one has to wonder how that occurred on a new truck. Ugh.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's really hard to tell since wind will blow oil all over the place, but to my non-professional eye the seepage appears to be coming from the seal and the crack seems to be in a location where I would not expect the crack itself to be seeping oil. If it was smacked, it's possible the impact knocked the hole out of round causing the seal to seep a little. It's not "normal" for good seals to seep oil. Old and worn seals will seep, but new ones should not. If you can't convince the dealer to help for free, then maybe start by pulling the shaft and swapping the seal for a new one.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Have taken it to two dealers. One lied said they wiped the transfercase clean and found nothing. Thats when I took this pic.

The second dealer said its "normal seepage" and NOT to clean it off?? Im thinking about taking it to a regular trans shop for diagnosis to take back to them..

There is alos a "Knock" in the suspension/Steering they play like they cant hear.

Anyone have any ideas?
looks to me like something hit it. The majority of it is at a place that wouldnt leak, but the one part goes up into the tail piece a bit so it could leak from there. It could just be the seal, it is such a slow leak it will be hard to diagnose for sure. On the flip side, at least it is a slow leak so it won't hurt anything.

As far as the "normal seepage don't touch it" thing, that is hilarious. That is like going to the doctor and he tells you the same thing! Just BS. Like if you don't clean it it will scab over and then heal itself? LOL silly stuff...

I think you would have a hard time getting them to fix it under warranty since it looks like external damage and a new trans is the only right way to fix it. Unless its the seal then that is pretty cheap.

I think if it was mine I would keep an eye on it and see (now that it is clean) if I could find the exact point of "seepage" and go from there. If it is the case you will most likely have to live with it, definitely not worth a new trans. :(

Another thought is: if it is the case, say coming from that upper/forward crack part... I would clean it real well then fill the crack with high heat epoxy, like JB weld. Do it in a clean manner so it doesn't look extremely unprofessional. Just moderately unprofessional. aha! But seriously, I would try it. It won't hurt. The key to this fix is the crack being very clean. When it comes to resell time a little oily dirt would look much better than glue all over the trans though.. :|
If you do it, keep it minimal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.