Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck has been throwing warnings on the dic for engine power reduced and idle overheating, with gauge pegged but no cel showed.
both times the temp needle went down drastically as soon as i saw it, first time i turned it off immediately, second it went down before i could cut it off.

No symptoms, no power loss, no signs of properly overheating, coolant checks out, aside from Having 130k on it, tbelt and w pump in near future.
Only thing is my fan seems to engage the clutch and run at full speed a lot. Again, no signs of actually overheating.

Searched a bit but results not very clear. Do we have problems with false warnings? Should it have a code stored even if it never threw a cel? Trying to figure if i have a problem or just a warning malfunction. Trying to get it in to shop but wanted to start research as it will be about a week.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The staggering response does not do much to instill confidence....
It just did it again on my way to work. Truck is now officially worrying me. At this mileage (132k) I think a fresh truck would be better. Hard to justify a t belt and w pump job with these potential issues. Found a canyon duramax close to home on sale.... might actually pull the trigger. I put so many miles on this thing in under 5 years, wouldnt mind zeroing out and starting over.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is a weird one for sure. Just a thought, but do you think it could just be a bad temp sensor/gauge? But I also see your point about starting fresh. Wish I could provide better help!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also having hvac sensor issues, prob have to replace a few in there to get my heat to do my bidding. Or, new truck, apply all that repair cash to a new one, found a canyon by me and got a good offer from carmax

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If it is not overheating, I am suspicious it may be a faulty coolant temp sensor, reading too high, causing fan to be engaged fully.
Just guessing. Do you have a temp gun you could point at t-stat housing to get a reading?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats right in line with what i was thinking, something throwing false readings. I wish i had a rad temp gun. This would theoretically make at least 4 sensors i need to replace between the cooling fan and hvac. Super lame but not tragic.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Could also be a sticking thermostat. I would swap the thermostat right away, then you'll have better confidence that it's mechanically OK and you can start focusing on the electrical parts.

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
178 Posts
So my truck has been throwing warnings on the dic for engine power reduced and idle overheating, with gauge pegged but no cel showed.
both times the temp needle went down drastically as soon as i saw it, first time i turned it off immediately, second it went down before i could cut it off.

No symptoms, no power loss, no signs of properly overheating, coolant checks out, aside from Having 130k on it, tbelt and w pump in near future.
Only thing is my fan seems to engage the clutch and run at full speed a lot. Again, no signs of actually overheating.

Searched a bit but results not very clear. Do we have problems with false warnings? Should it have a code stored even if it never threw a cel? Trying to figure if i have a problem or just a warning malfunction. Trying to get it in to shop but wanted to start research as it will be about a week.
Seems like there was a tsb on a chaffed wiring harness in the engine compartment causing wonky stuff on diesel trucks only.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like there was a tsb on a chaffed wiring harness in the engine compartment causing wonky stuff on diesel trucks only.
i heard that one too

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could also be a sticking thermostat. I would swap the thermostat right away, then you'll have better confidence that it's mechanically OK and you can start focusing on the electrical parts.
Yup, gonna do that too. Was going to do it with the whole t belt job but prob have to do tstat pronto.
another weird aspect is that my hvac has been stopping throwing heat, i turn the blower off. It throws the power reduced warning, temp needle goes to about 230, turn blower fan on, goesdown right away, even though its blowing cold air before during and after and 12 deg outside on the freeway. Makes me suspect tstat more.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, after much deliberation and poking around, i found my coolant tank to be empty after not being so the previous couple days. I was able to catch it dripping, which i also havent before, probably because its been so frigid.
anyhow, after adding almost a gallon, what do you know, problem gone. I was able to see it dripping at the lower aspect of the tank.
pretty relieved, nice cheap fix, gmpartsdirect has it for $98 and i can now feel good about keeping the truck and doing the tbelt/wpump etc on it.
what im thinking is that its been dripping so slowly that it took 5 years to show symptoms. Going to have it pressure tested too, but nothing seems out of place otherwise.

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
178 Posts
So, after much deliberation and poking around, i found my coolant tank to be empty after not being so the previous couple days. I was able to catch it dripping, which i also havent before, probably because its been so frigid.
anyhow, after adding almost a gallon, what do you know, problem gone. I was able to see it dripping at the lower aspect of the tank.
pretty relieved, nice cheap fix, gmpartsdirect has it for $98 and i can now feel good about keeping the truck and doing the tbelt/wpump etc on it.
what im thinking is that its been dripping so slowly that it took 5 years to show symptoms. Going to have it pressure tested too, but nothing seems out of place otherwise.
Great find! Don't think I've seen mention of one of those failing yet. Curious to see pictures of the failure point.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hopefully it's a fluke and not something more serious like a leaky head gasket over pressurizing the coolant reservoir. You would see bubbles in the coolant reservoir while running I would think if that was the case.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tank seems to be failing at a molding bung or something on the underside, directly underneath the filler cap. Looks like a nipple. Oil and coolant both look fine

Im still considering jumping ship and getting a fresh truck, theres still possibilities of harness chafe and long term durability up in the air. I work it hard and have a lot of miles on it so longevity is still a concern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts