Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys newbie to the forum here so sorry if this has been asked and I didn’t see it but I currently drive a 2011 Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3 and am looking at potentially moving on and am weighing my options. It’s been a tight squeeze in our garage (tuck-under with rather narrow doors) and that has me considering a Colorado or Canyon, maybe one with a diesel for comparable towing capabilities? Has anyone made this jump or owned similar of each and could weigh in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
What are you towing?
How much weight are you towing
How Often are you towing?

fyi, use google to find threads on subjects on our trucks

couple threads to get you started

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also have a little boat that will see trios every weekend but this trailer will be the heaviest thing I tow and that won’t be often but I need to be able to move it. Not sure on actual weight but when full it pulls pretty heavy on a 5.3 which is why I’m not sure a gasser Colorado/Canyon would be up to the task.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Get a weight on that trailer, loaded. My gut says you need to stay FS if the 5.3 finds it a chore.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey guys newbie to the forum here so sorry if this has been asked and I didn’t see it but I currently drive a 2011 Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3 and am looking at potentially moving on and am weighing my options. It’s been a tight squeeze in our garage (tuck-under with rather narrow doors) and that has me considering a Colorado or Canyon, maybe one with a diesel for comparable towing capabilities? Has anyone made this jump or owned similar of each and could weigh in?

Thanks!
If I had a frequent/recurring towing need at the time of a truck purchase I would buy as FS truck. Even if the twins could handle it, a full size truck should/would handle it better and make for a more comfortable towing experience. If I had a Colorado/Canyon and then a frequent towing need arose, I would try towing with the midsize truck and see how well it goes.

I have owned a Silverado and my current Colorado.

So if I were in your shoes, it would be FS for me.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
From experience, my Canyon Diesel tows better than our 2004 5.3L ECSB did. The 5.3L could pull a mountain pass at the same speed as the Canyon but at 4500 rpm, compared to 2400 rpm with the diesel. It was coming down the mountains that the diesel outperms the gas. The gas doesn't hold speed very well with a load behind it going down the 8 and 10% grades, diesel with exhaust brake is a far more relaxing decent.
I used to do a lot of heavy 12k lbs plus and had to buy a 3500 Duramax, once the heavy towing ended, I knew we would still be towing a lot (6k lb travel trailer now), so instead of going back to a 1/2 ton full size, I got a Duramax Canyon back in 2016, could not have been a better fit and towing in the mountains here in B. C with the Canyon is a joy. Got myself another 2.8L CCLB Canyon at the end of 2019. It also has been flawless like my 2016. You have to remember the twins have the same payload and towing as the 1/2 tons up to 2009. No reason to need a full size for what you have now.

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Forgot to mention, my CCLB Canyon diesel is longer, and just as heavy as my old 2004 5.3L ECSB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts