Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to mount a 12 v outlet and bed lights in my 2021 AT4 bed (if I ever get it as its been showing in transit since the end of February). I want to power a 12v cooler for use when camping. I also want the bed lights on a switch by the tailgate so I can activate it when I open the tailgate and not have to access the cab for the cargo lamp button. I was thinking of running a wire from the battery back to have good clean power. Then mount a box with the 12v outlet and a switch to the bed rail of my tonneau cover (Extang Exceed). Split the power to 2x inline fuses. Then to the switch and lights and 12v outlet. Then I would run the ground to somewhere on the frame. Would this work? Most of my 12v wiring experience is with boats and you ground to the - battery post.

LED strip light (Red)
12v and housing
Switch

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Here's a good write-up from another member who did something similar. He tapped the 12v at the trailer harness, but you could make a clean run to the battery instead.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
721 Posts
looks like a winning combo. Don’t forget a fuse

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
I know those articles probably mentioned it, but the voltage losses at 12 volts can be substantial in the length of the truck. I would determine a wire gauge, then choose the next larger size for safety. Not sure what the amp draw is on a 12 volt refrigerator, but is must be substantial.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 CCSB
64 Posts
Definitely doing the 12v where you have it.
The taps I used (link) made it easy to tap into the orange trailer power. One tip I'd also make is that if you use the plastic hole cover like I did trim away the tabs on the back so that when you screw down the nut that it sits flush. I didn't and while I managed to get it reasonably tight I wish I'd trimmed more material away...either that or find a big washer that will fit. Also if you use the same kit I did (this ) you'll need to extend the power lead as it's a bit short to reach the trailer harness.

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 CCSB
64 Posts
Wonder if I can find a switch that'll fit the stake pocket hole
There's a smaller round hole on the top of the bed near the tailgate that might be a better placement for the power switch.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I installed one of these in the bed of my truck, USB for LED strip, 12v for fridge or Jackery. I don't have any pics of the finished install, my goal was to not drill into the bed of the truck and I accomplished that. I do need to pretty up the wiring with some wire sleeves, otherwise I'm pretty happy with it and I tied into the 12v trailer wiring to supply a constant 12v.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I installed one of these in the bed of my truck, USB for LED strip, 12v for fridge or Jackery. I don't have any pics of the finished install, my goal was to not drill into the bed of the truck and I accomplished that. I do need to pretty up the wiring with some wire sleeves, otherwise I'm pretty happy with it and I tied into the 12v trailer wiring to supply a constant 12v.

How does it do running the fridge?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
How does it do running the fridge?
No problems, I've had it run the fridge for multiple days and have had it keep my Jackery 1000 charged with the fridge plugged into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I would like to install the same thing for the same reasons. Where did you mount that in the bed without cutting? Could you post a couple of pictures?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I would like to install the same thing for the same reasons. Where did you mount that in the bed without cutting? Could you post a couple of pictures?
I fabbed a little bracket out of some steel foundation straps I had laying around, slid it between the bed and shell near the clamp, and tightened the clamp down. Pop rivets to the strap and done. The USB port is somewhat protected by the clamp but still pretty exposed so I'm going to order a 90-degree USB adapter. I also need to put a better grommet in there to protect the wiring, but now that I have the panel mounted I may just reroute the power through the oval grommet in the bed behind the panel, I just haven't checked to see what access it like on the other side.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Thanks. What did you tap in for the power, or did you run new wires from the battery?
Tied into the constant 12v in the trailer wiring.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
It's pretty easy to get at from under the bed.
Didn't even have to do that, I was able to easily re-route the wiring through the opening for the taillight housing.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Rerouted and adapter installed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts