Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have the best and worst vehicles we bought. What about the one that got away?

I never really had a car I hated but I have several that got away or I just did not buy and looking back hold much regret.

#1 was a 1972 Ferrari Dino. Back in 1985 I was still in school and had just bought my Fiero. I was working at a gas station and one of my customers came in with the Ferrari Dino. He was trying to sell it and it was in perfect body and mechanical conditions. Well at least as good as an 1970's Italian car can be.

He was asking $15,000 for it. I had the money and I had considered it much. But I just down sized from 3 cars to one and did not want to have two cars sitting around. My dad had been tolerant of my car hobby and I was giving him a break. I also was worried about daily driving the car with a past experience with a friends Fiat. Rust and parts were a problem.

At the time the price was the going rate for a Dino as it was the Ferrari that was not a Ferrari then it became one once Enzo decreed it was a Ferrari. Well about 5-8 years later the Ferrari prices went off the chart and even the lowly Dino saw a major increase in value. Today they can go $200,000 to over $400,000 depending on color and options.

I also had a buddy into Pantera's and still is. He had several and tried to get me into one for $16K. I passed on it. They have gone up much but no where like the Ferrari. Again the parts and rust aspect scared me off.

I may not be the one to buy the right cars to keep but I can tell you what ones not to buy LOL!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
1969 Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. A rocket that apologized for no one. This was back in 1972. It was the dark blue color. At the time I was 20 years old. Had I bought it I most likely would have been, dare I say it, a Ford guy.

BTW, I ended up buying a 1970 Olds Cutlass Rallye 350. Now that I think about it, I might have to go back and change my mind about the one I wish I still had. That yellow and black stripes were stunning.

Stock photos

Gusto!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1969 Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. A rocket that apologized for no one. This was back in 1972. It was the dark blue color. At the time I was 20 years old. Had I bought it I most likely would have been, dare I say it, a Ford guy.

BTW, I ended up buying a 1970 Olds Cutlass Rallye 350. Now that I think about it, I might have to go back and change my mind about the one I wish I still had. That yellow and black stripes were stunning.

Stock photos

Gusto!
The Olds Rallye is a rare car today. You see few and many are not restored correctly. I am not a Ford guy but the 69-70 were sweet cars. They were my favorite Mustangs.

This was a win win choice. The only thing better is if you could have bought both.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had a shot at a pristine S54 M Coupe in Estorilblau in ‘08ish, decided I would get a new 335 instead. Since then the clown shoes continue to climb in price and look better every time I see one, while the 335 did the opposite and had me in the service drive most of the time I owned it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
LOL, I anticipated this thread.
My “one that got away” was a pristine ‘59 Jaguar XK 150 DHC. glossy black over red leather. Stored in a garage while its owner was in Nam.
The timing just wasn’t right. But all these years later it still holds a place in my heart.
I can still smell the Connolly leather interior.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In 1985 me and a buddy decided that we would both go buy new 85 Mustang GTs, so we went to a local Ford dealer that had 2 of them, a gray t-top and a red sunroof. My friend let me choose 1st and because it was 1k cheaper, I picked the red one. 2 transmissions and a rear end later I traded for an 88 Ranger. He still owns the t-top and loves it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Back in the late '80s there was a shop nearby that specialized in very clean, very nice muscle cars. One Sunday a friend and I stopped in to see what he had. The owner was wet sanding a 1970 Hemi Cuda that he had just gotten. It was that dark coppery color with a white interior, 4 speed. Very clean and very original. I forget the mileage. He was asking right around $23K. It was a lot of money at the time, but would have been a really good investment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1989 Eagle Talon TSi

Found a slightly-used one in the early 90's but the price was slightly out of my range and the owner wasn't budging.

A few weeks later one of my friends bought it - Car was a ton of fun to whip around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The one that got away is the reason I bought my Colorado. I had finally found a nice all original 1979 Suzuki GS 425E. The motorcycle was in Michigan, about 150 miles away. I talked to the guy, told him I need to find a truck to come pick it up. He told me "take your time, it's in the shed and six inches of snow is on the ground..." After about two months or so, I called the fellow up and told him that I could come and pick up the cycle. He told me he had sold it! Basically told me cash talks BS walks... Well, I thought I'd never let that happen again! If you're going to be a cycle collector, you need a vehicle to go collect them with...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The one that got away from me was way back in 1974, was just about to get my license and a local used car dealer had a 1964 tri-power GTO on the lot. It was dead stock in appearance, a very dark brown color, but even as a kid I knew how cool that car could be. Unfortunately, the parents thought I would kill myself ( don’t they always feel that way about a first car?) . So, I then got to watch another local drive it for 5 years before he wrapped it around a pole ( and no, he survived).

Oh, the price? Only $1200

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in 1973 or 4 I ran across a '63 Corvette convertible. 340 hp 327, 4 speed, AC (rare). It had been painted with a brush (!) using house paint, kind of an eggshell white, red interior. Guy wanted $400. I was 15 or 16 and my father had bought a project car for me and him to work on a few years prior. I couldn't get my mother to lend me the money for "another old jalopy that will be sitting in the yard", lol. Saw the car a few weeks later driving around town, stripped of the Sherwin Williams and primed. I really can't complain, the project car my father and I built was a '66 427/425 coupe that he bought for $1300, later certified as a survivor by NCRS (I still have the car)

·
Registered
151 Posts
From 08-09 I had followed a build thread of the "GetBored" Cadillac, a 66 Sedan Deville. Prior to that I hadn't been into bagged vehicles as they were mostly mini-trucks. This project was a frame off, bare metal restoration. I wanted to do one of my own and keep the Blazer I already had to daily. At the time, 66-70 Devilles were fairly easy to find in survivor condition and for reasonable prices.

I found a survivor 69 Triple Black Fleetwood Brougham with a touch over 100k in running and driving condition on Craigslist listed for $5500. It was about 2 hours south of me in a small middle-Georgia town, Fort Valley. I called the guy, and after several attempts as he was using a Magic Jack with no answering machine, I had a good conversation with him and he even ran out to the garage and started it up for me to hear on the phone. I couldn't make it down that weekend, but could the next. I told him I'd call him next week to coordinate. He was a good ole boy and had used the car for a bed and breakfast he ran in a historic home with his wife. He also drove a school bus part time and had just moved out of the B&B as they were selling it off, which is part of why he was difficult to get a hold of. I called him every other day for about 2 months until I finally got him on the phone. He'd ended up selling it to his nephew.

After that, I was frustrated and bought another car I'd been toying with the idea of--a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. That one is another story, but there were definitely days that I regretted buying it and others when I loved it.

Looking back on it, I probably would have landed in a very different place in life as that Fleetwood purchase would have altered a lot of other decisions I made around that time, so I don't truly regret missing out on it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
From 08-09 I had followed a build thread of the "GetBored" Cadillac, a 66 Sedan Deville. Prior to that I hadn't been into bagged vehicles as they were mostly mini-trucks. This project was a frame off, bare metal restoration. I wanted to do one of my own and keep the Blazer I already had to daily. At the time, 66-70 Devilles were fairly easy to find in survivor condition and for reasonable prices.

I found a survivor 69 Triple Black Fleetwood Brougham with a touch over 100k in running and driving condition on Craigslist listed for $5500. It was about 2 hours south of me in a small middle-Georgia town, Fort Valley. I called the guy, and after several attempts as he was using a Magic Jack with no answering machine, I had a good conversation with him and he even ran out to the garage and started it up for me to hear on the phone. I couldn't make it down that weekend, but could the next. I told him I'd call him next week to coordinate. He was a good ole boy and had used the car for a bed and breakfast he ran in a historic home with his wife. He also drove a school bus part time and had just moved out of the B&B as they were selling it off, which is part of why he was difficult to get a hold of. I called him every other day for about 2 months until I finally got him on the phone. He'd ended up selling it to his nephew.

After that, I was frustrated and bought another car I'd been toying with the idea of--a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. That one is another story, but there were definitely days that I regretted buying it and others when I loved it.

Looking back on it, I probably would have landed in a very different place in life as that Fleetwood purchase would have altered a lot of other decisions I made around that time, so I don't truly regret missing out on it.
As no stranger to wrenches, I can appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into creating somethings like the GetBored Caddy, but I still stand by the saying that "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". >:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Years ago when I was working at UPS third shift and going to engineering school I coworker asked if I would want to buy his S14 240SX. In my infinite (non)wisdom just following the purchase of my Miata (that I still own) my response was "Why would I want two rear wheel drive vehicles in WI?". Dumbest thing in retrospect as it was a rare color and clean examples of them have been increasing in value since thanks to the drift tax.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
One that comes to mind is a 1981 T/A 6.6L Black with gold graphics. At the time, had a small child and thought getting him out of the car seat mounted in the rear would be a PITA. Fell in love with it at first sight. Ended up buying a 1981 Cutlass Supreme.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Date: 1980
Place : Kansas City Municipal airport. Motorcycle swap meet
Got away : 1960? AJS

It was for sale for 500.00 needed a clutch. I told the guy I just got here and would like to look around first

When I came back it was gone.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Eight years ago, I had an opportunity to buy a mint, true numbers matching, fully documented 1970 LT1 Corvette. It was Donny Brook Green with saddle interior. The guy would have let it go for $29,000. At the time, I was not in the market for a classic, so it was just bad timing. Wish I jumped on it, because that car would have climbed in value. Even more important is that I would have had a lot of fun with it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
16 Participants
American Truck
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing