Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I decided to buy my 2017 v6 extended cab 2wd I wanted to know what the 1/4 mile time would be. However, I could not find anything online specifically for this configuration.

I saw that the crew cab 4x4 was getting 14.8 and a 0-60 of 6.1.

I figured the Extended Cab 2wd would be faster since it is 300lbs lighter, still has the exact same weight distribution, and isn't quite traction limited. (the crew cab adds 1% to the back but 4x4 adds 1% to the front).

Now my break-in is over and I can finally answer this question for others - 14.6 in the 1/4 mile.

I think there was still another .1 on the table, I didn't realize until too late that the truck short shifts the 4-5 just a few hundred feet before the line (probably related to the 98 mph speed limiter?) best results would have been achieved with the truck in manual mode locked to 4th gear max.

Everyone at the track had good things to say, took people by surprise.

You really can't lose in the Colorado, either you win the race and it brings great shame to the other person for losing to a Colorado or you don't win the race but nobody cares because it is a Colorado.

Brake torquing did not improve results, and often worsened results, just step on the gas and go.

I do have the g80 locking rear differential and you could definitely tell it was doing work.

This was on the stock 18s and GY Fortitudes.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is really cool! I'm impressed with your runs. Thanks for posting this. Maybe others can post their track times as well. I have the Trifecta Tune and would like to take mine to the track but have hesitated to do so. Your post here is encouraging me to give it a go.

Could you talk about how you ran it? Did you just floor it? Did you disable the traction control? Did you do a tire burn before the run, etc. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No burnout of course because I am on stock all season tires. I just drive around the waterbox. TC disabled, stabiltrack disabled but stabiltrack will rarely mater unless you do a monster burnout. I tried brake torquing to launch but even on the track surface it just caused a huge burnout and a 16 second time or if I tried to lightly brake torque @1500 rpms it bogged instead and got 14.9. I'm sure that there is a way to brake torque it just right but I couldn't find it with the limited runs I had. on my best run I did still brake with my left foot as if brake torquing but I released the brake and slammed the gas down at the same time, this way you get just the right amount of wheel spin and the g80 does its job. If I had stickier tires I could brake torque and launch much harder but this is all bone stock.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Street tire have less traction if you do a burnout. Like Randy said, drive around the water box, turn off all the nannies. I would leave at a idle and get as much help as possible from the torque converter. Trans in manual and set it to 4th gear max and then let it shift its self. You leave on the last yellow, do not wait for the green light. When you get the lights figured out do it the same way every time and you may win a few rounds.

14.8 is really great for a V6, that is what a old small block Camero or Mustang would run. You would need a HP big block to see 13's.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Not a bad 60 foot for street tires and 2wd truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been enjoying getting familiar with my 2017 z71 CCLB over the past week. I am surprised by the pep of the vehicle. I consider it a bonus. Cool post..!!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well, there you have it and thanks for posting a first hand 1/4 miles time !

This truck is no slouch and not sure that "some people" would think it is under powered.

Unless they would be talking about the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine equipped Twins. :serious:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nice runs. Over 90 mph in the traps with a flying brick of a truck is indicative of some good horsepower going on.

The guy in the left lane next to you killed it with his .397 reaction time in one of your slips. That is pretty darn quick on the trigger!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Nice runs. Over 90 mph in the traps with a flying brick of a truck is indicative of some good horsepower going on.

The guy in the left lane next to you killed it with his .397 reaction time in one of your slips. That is pretty darn quick on the trigger!

.397 is RED. A perfect light is .500 on a three yellow tree. A one yellow three it's .400 for a perfect light. I've had a .500 green and a .500 red light, a buddy had a .499 green and that's damn weird.

That one 60ft at 1.68 with a 9 is great. I have a 10.0x car that is 1.45+/-

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't think that one was his!
It was a newer Camaro SS. He had drag radials.

It's really interesting to see how much slower some cars are than their magazine numbers. 2011 v6 mustangs putting up 14.8, 2013 v6 accord 14.7, 2004 BMW 540i 14.8. All the v8 pickups in the 15s.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice time. I'm not sure my Dakota could do that even with the tune and the 4.56 gear in it. Trans ratios are horrible in that thing.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Very nice! I ran similar times in my 2002 Silverado regular cab 2wd 4.8L with a tune and drag shocks/struts. Amazing what the underdog engines can do. :)

Question, suppoesdly the 2017 models are quite a bit faster than the 2015-2016 models. Is this mainly due to transmission ration changes, tuning or both? Just curious if the tuned 2015-2016 models would run similar times. I also wonder if the wonky throttle mapping on the older models is what it killing the 60' times and if some of the test vehicles were plauged with shifting issues and or KR due to lower octane. *shrug* Maybe I need to take my truck to the strip.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Pretty impressive times for a little 3.6L six banger & a fair bit quicker than @lennstang;'s 2015 CC 4x4 Colorado

The thread he created & his timeslips are here --> 2015 Colorado at New England Dragway Video
lennstang best Time 15.955 @ 87.85 MPH

·
Registered
135 Posts
Heading to Orlando Speed World today to try out the 1/4 mile. Perfect weather expected. I plan on trying a stock run, a couple with the Diablo tune, then adding the Volant CAI to see how times compare. I'll post results in a day or so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dang, I thought my truck was peppy but, I didn't think it would be in the 14's... A little turning and I bet you could get into the 13's esp with a 4x4 and the extra traction you get off the line...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Trip to the drag strip

So, my adventure to the drag strip Sunday was interesting. I learned a good bit about launching my truck after 4 runs, but left feeling like there was still time to be had. My trup is a 2016 CC 2WD V6 with 20 inch Boss rims and Cooper 275/45/20 tires. First launch was stock except for lowered air pressure to 30 lb in rear. I turned off the traction control and just punched it as the tree hit the last yellow. Time is 15.821 @88.2mph. 60 foot time of 2.542

2nd run was after I added the Diablosport "easy tune" 93 octane option and hard shift points. Time was 15.812 @89.16. 60 foot time of 2.478. Both of these runs were without burnouts and no load of RPM's at the line.

3rd and 4th runs were with the Diablosport tune and I added the Volant Cold Air Intake. I also did burn outs for both of these runs and loaded up the rpms slightly. 3rd run was the best at 15.430 @90.81 mph and 2.270 60 foot time.

The last run was basically a wash since I spun hard off the line and had to let up to catch traction. Oh, forgot to mention all runs were in standard Drive position of transmission. I didn't want to try the Manual shift option for fear that it might bog down if I didn't shift at a good rpm point. Last run was 16.181 @90.50 and 2.671 60 foot time.

First time I had been to the track in over 10 years. It was quite a bit different from when I last ran my 1989 Dodge Colt GT 11.64 seconds @124mph:grin2: Had a hell of a lot of fun and met some really nice people to boot. I am also jealous that Randy ran so much faster in his 2017 EC model!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts