Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've disconnected the battery on my truck several times and the last time the locks stopped working. The switch beeps when I press it.

I've left the battery unhooked for two days, didn't work. Un hooked negative cable over night.. Didn't work unhooked cables and touched them together. Didn't work. Un hooked cables held brake pedal in for an hour cables un hooked for 7 hours.. Didn't work. I yanked all the fuses, cleaned grounds un hooked bcm pcm basically everything I've seen online didn't work what am I missing here

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I am confused, why would you touch the cables together? On these newer trucks there are electronics that take awhile to go to sleep after battery disconnect. Not necessary to ever do that. Never necessary to yank all the fuses either. Where online have you seen these techniques?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah just what I've read. I'll try anything. They say it drains the power or something.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Ah just what I've read. I'll try anything. They say it drains the power or something.
What? The switch beeps? What beeps exactly? That is strange. Do the locks work with the key fob? Did you try different switches on the other doors?
Why are you constantly disconnecting the battery? Other problem or just to try and get the locks to work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's like the seatbelt beeper or door ding thing that beeps when I press the driver door unlock or lock switch. I've tried all the switchs. The truck didn't come with a fob, I disconnected the battery for a bunch of repairs I made on it. First two times the locks worked. Now nothing. It's been two months of driving and it still just beeps

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
It's like the seatbelt beeper or door ding thing that beeps when I press the driver door unlock or lock switch. I've tried all the switchs. The truck didn't come with a fob, I disconnected the battery for a bunch of repairs I made on it. First two times the locks worked. Now nothing. It's been two months of driving and it still just beeps
That sounds like a weird BCM thing. I would bet you have a bad ground under the hood. Have you read up on those ground pack things that everyone talks about on the 1st gen? Do some searching and you will find lots of info on them. I think there are two, one on the left just below the top of the fender, one on the right same area. IIRC one was near the air box. They have one screw to the body and a bunch of ground wires to them. Apparently they like to corrode inside the connection.
Also could be a bad power connection to the BCM, check out the fuse box under the hood very carefully. I think I would give it a smack and see if they work. Kind of a wiggle wires test to find a bad connection. Could very well be when you mess with battery connections you move a wire and that's what "fixed" it.

Let us know what you find, door lock dinging chime is a goofy one for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha I agree. If I hold the switch down it says lock 1 on the cluster. As for the grounds, I removed them prior to the door lock issue sanded some paint and put them back on. I've removed tested all the fuses, replaced master fuse and still it only beeps at me. The windows work. I've had the driver switch apart, grounded the caps in there.. Still only beeps when I hit the button

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Haha I agree. If I hold the switch down it says lock 1 on the cluster. As for the grounds, I removed them prior to the door lock issue sanded some paint and put them back on. I've removed tested all the fuses, replaced master fuse and still it only beeps at me. The windows work. I've had the driver switch apart, grounded the caps in there.. Still only beeps when I hit the button
Did you open up the ground packs and check for corrosion?

Also wondering if you have a bad door switch making it think a door is open. I don't know for sure what happens when a door is open and you try to lock it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the door is open and you try to lock it I assume they just lock unless the key is in the ignition you get a beep such as the one I get when I press the button. They did lock while driving at one point. I did un clip them and got contact cleaner on them. The door switch works as the light goes off and I get a door message when they are open

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could it be a lock out issue should I leave the key on for a while?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Could it be a lock out issue should I leave the key on for a while?
Yeah was thinking about that, are there settings for lock out? Does it think the key is still in the ignition? Can you lock/unlock while driving?

You are supposed to take the ground pack apart and check/repair it. Check for bad power too, under hood is the likely place.

I really think you have a bad power or ground problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No lock unlock while driving. Still beeps. It doesn't look like there is a lock out for this the light never comes on. I would think if it were a power ground issue it wouldn't be beeping at me

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
No lock unlock while driving. Still beeps. It doesn't look like there is a lock out for this the light never comes on. I would think if it were a power ground issue it wouldn't be beeping at me
Also, check out 355nation, they are geared more toward 1st gen trucks.
So it says "lock 1" when you hit it? What does the manual say that means?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
@Jedf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I tried what they say in the link. Was able to change lock mode to 3 and it still just beeps. Push door switch in and it doesn't beep still won't lock. Beeps at me with passenger switch too. Left key on for 20 minutes. Still non work

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've disconnected the battery on my truck several times and the last time the locks stopped working. The switch beeps when I press it.

I've left the battery unhooked for two days, didn't work. Un hooked negative cable over night.. Didn't work unhooked cables and touched them together. Didn't work. Un hooked cables held brake pedal in for an hour cables un hooked for 7 hours.. Didn't work. I yanked all the fuses, cleaned grounds un hooked bcm pcm basically everything I've seen online didn't work what am I missing here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts