Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 04 LS Colorado. Has 161,000 miles. Went out to start it yesterday and it just turned over but never fired. Went out a couple of hours later and it started right up. Now after some research I've noticed that this is a very common problem. Can someone give me a detailed cure for the problem. Now I'm afraid to drive it in fear it might shut down while on the road.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's the passlock most likely. Theres several articles you can find in search that show/tell how to bypass it by cutting a certain wire or how to replace module in ignition and have a relearn at dealership to make it work. P.S. if you wait 15 minutes and try again it should start after each shut off and try. That is if it's not something else.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
mine started doing that after 85,000 miles and what I did and it worked 95% of the time is. get in truck, put the key in, wait 2-3 seconds, then turn the key. If I got in truck, put key in and turned it in one motion, then the paslock would kick in
I eventually replace the paslock in the ignition, did not have to relearn the key

paslock is now around 85 bucks, several videos on how to replace it.
last guy on here said it took him 30 minutes

paslock is, a contact, when you put key in, the key pushes a tab, it completes a circuit and sends signal/voltage to the bcm(body control manager) either the tab is worn, and/or the key has wore down some so it is not as long as it was, you can always try the spare key and see if it works better

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine started doing that after 85,000 miles and what I did and it worked 95% of the time is. get in truck, put the key in, wait 2-3 seconds, then turn the key. If I got in truck, put key in and turned it in one motion, then the paslock would kick in
I eventually replace the paslock in the ignition, did not have to relearn the key

paslock is now around 85 bucks, several videos on how to replace it.
last guy on here said it took him 30 minutes

paslock is, a contact, when you put key in, the key pushes a tab, it completes a circuit and sends signal/voltage to the bcm(body control manager) either the tab is worn, and/or the key has wore down some so it is not as long as it was, you can always try the spare key and see if it works better
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I recently purchased a 04 LS Colorado. Has 161,000 miles. Went out to start it yesterday and it just turned over but never fired. Went out a couple of hours later and it started right up. Now after some research I've noticed that this is a very common problem. Can someone give me a detailed cure for the problem. Now I'm afraid to drive it in fear it might shut down while on the road.
You can tell if it's the passlock by the little lock looking light on the dash, it will be on it that's the problem. I bet it is, I had a 07 that did this, VERY common. Good news is it won't just die on you while you drive. It could just strand you for 10 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts