Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just picked up a certified preowned ‘17 v6 Colorado with the 8 speed. It shifts buttery smooth save for the 1-2 when it’s cold.

I can’t be sure the fluid was ever changed. Should I wait and see if it pops up in my 12 month warranty or pay to have it flushed?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Welcome aboard
It should be under the 5/60 powertrain warranty, and certified should have gotten it to 100K. Inquire with service if it's been done, as it would have it on the tracked VIN service records.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
If you want it done, they should do the flush for you if it has not been done, it shouldn’t be up to you to pack $800 out of your pocket. That shouldn’t even be a question. Make them do it, so they do not try to weasel out of it in the 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want it done, they should do the flush for you if it has not been done, it shouldn’t be up to you to pack $800 out of your pocket. That shouldn’t even be a question. Make them do it, so they do not try to weasel out of it in the 12 month warranty.
I’ve never had a dealer do maintenance for free if there wasn’t an issue. Is there grounds for a free flush?

·
Registered
494 Posts
The intermittent 1-2 hard shift after the vehicle has been sitting for awhile is a well known issue but has nothing to do with the fluid flush. I looked into it a couple of times with dealer and here in the forum. The fluid change was for a shudder/chatter at mid speeds around 45 mph under light acceleration. The shudder was a moisture absorption issue with the type of fluid used. The 1-2 shift issue is due to a design problem in which the fluid leaks down from upper channels of the transmission and the fluid is unable to get where it needs to be before it is operated. They could probably have trapped the fluid in sections of the transmission, but that could also trap debris. I am not an engineer so can't tell GM what they did wrong, but it was a design issue.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
go to the service counter and have them look it up to see if it has been done. If not, request it to be done.
If a good dealer they will schedule it, bad dealer's will tell you they will not until there is an issue.

there is a TSB an Bulletin for them to change the fluid, no questions asked...

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I’ve never had a dealer do maintenance for free if there wasn’t an issue. Is there grounds for a free flush?
Yes, look up transmission shutter....known issue for 2017 to early 19's
They should change the fluid when you ask them, as I mentioned there is a TSB to change the fuild to a special Mobil fuid and a Bulletin they are to change it at customers request...

·
Registered
220 Posts
The intermittent 1-2 hard shift after the vehicle has been sitting for awhile is a well known issue but has nothing to do with the fluid flush.
The flush did soften this some for me.

go to the service counter and have them look it up to see if it has been done. If not, request it to be done.
If a good dealer they will schedule it, bad dealer's will tell you they will not until there is an issue.

.....and to reinforce @Hunter62 statement, as of the July 2019 TSB update, they need to do the flush based on customer complaint, so there is no need for the dealership to duplicate the problem.

Bill

·
Registered
494 Posts
The dealer should have done the change during the pre-certification procedure as it is well known, and GM updated the bulletin late summer that all 2017,2018, and early 2019 vehicles can be changed without the demanding testing that was required previously. A customer just needs to tell the GM service manager that he is experiencing a shudder. But don't tell him you are when they have records that it was already done unless it is actually doing it. Some trucks had enough miles on them in which the torque converter was glazed and therefore damaged, but very few. I was hoping the 1-2 shift would benefit from the fluid change but it didn't help me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I put it in the OP but I guess it got lost. The truck has 45k on it already, I don’t know if that matters but the reason I bought it was because it shifted so nicely despite “higher” miles than I’d been reading with issues.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I thought I put it in the OP but I guess it got lost. The truck has 45k on it already, I don’t know if that matters but the reason I bought it was because it shifted so nicely despite “higher” miles than I’d been reading with issues.
The shudder occurs while cruising in 7th or 8th gear, under light load. Both my 17's had the issue. The TSB to inquire if was done is 18-NA-355. The hard shift issues are either a slow torque converter leak down after sitting for a while, or valve body flaw.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
If it is shifting fine and no shudder, and you are happy with it, leave it alone, but just know that if it shows up later, at that point you may have to pay for it. Right now, it may not cost anything. You have to decide and be happy with the truck.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have taken the "keep it happy" approach. no shudder, a good start. to keep things happy, do a 6 quart exchange now then another every 25K. Yes its expensive but spread out over the time it's not too bad. I scored three cases of LVHP ATF for almost half price online recently so I'm good for a while. I did a post or two on the process.
I also keep a tube of shudder fixx around in case I need it.
Don't worry about the shuddering, just have an abatement plan.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Is that really what it costs for a dealer fluid flush?
Yes because the flush uses a lot more fluid than the 12 it takes to fill.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
They use 20 quarts for the complete flush, plus labor. If I remember correctly, the fluid is about $22 qt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my '18 in for the shudder flush. He said it'd be $200 to do the flush if it wasn't covered under warrantee, and I was going to just pay them if it wasn't. I printed the 18-NA-355 and brought it with me. They didn't charge me a dime. The 18-NA-355 just tells them to do it (edit: if it's symptomatic) and gives them the charge numbers to use to bill back Chevy for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the symptomatic vibration, 2017 Z7I; thought it was tire balance. Dealer balanced the tires but the vibration persisted. I complained and a service rep test drove it. Went about 2 miles and and the rep said it was the torque converter and offered to replace it for free. (I’d already invoked the Texas lemon law for engine control module issues so they might have been more cautious with me). They supposedly installed a new TQ and problem solved. When asked I was told the trans fluid was changed and not reinstalled.

·
Registered
247 Posts
[QUOTE="Hunter62, post: 5253767, member: 293274"
[/QUOTE]

Not sure where people are coming up with this? I have a 2018 with no shudder issues. Printed the SB, and took it to 5 different dealers, and all claim it is true they don't have to do the required testing to satisfy GM any more, but all claim the shudder must be present for the free service.

So if someone knows a Dealer in the outer Pittsburgh area west into Ohio I'd sure like to know, as I've had no luck and get the same story from them all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts