Help w/ installing Belltech 3" drop leaf springs - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
e_N

Help w/ installing Belltech 3" drop leaf springs

Hey everyone I was hoping someone could help me out with info on installing Belltech's 3" leaf springs. I have a 2006 Z85 ext. cab. I wanted to do a 2/3 drop w/ all belltech parts. I was able to install the front coils and street performance shocks using the guides on this forum but I'm really lost on installing the 3" leaf springs.

I've found through a lot of browsing on here and recent first hand experience that the nub in the middle of the leaf spring won't fit in the hole on the axle. Everything can bolt up right except for that nub. The nub sits about half an inch away from the hole (that it doesn't fit in). A friend an I were working on it for about 2 hours and decided to quit and throw the stocks back on. I really have no idea how it's supposed to fit. I've been looking all over this forum for something on installing the leaf springs but I can't seem to find anything.

Could someone please help!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to xtreme07colorado
Re: Help w/ installing Belltech 3" drop leaf springs

i dont know if leafs are the same as blocks but sometimes when i have installed blocks, the alignment pin wont align into the axle but when you lower the truck down usin the jack slowly, it aligns it for you. if you jacked up the truck from the rear under the pumpkin, the axle moves forward some and this could cause your problem. if i had a pic of what your talkin about and which way the alignment is off, i could help you more. just try to bolt the leafs up on both sides on the leaf hangers and then let the jack down to see if it aligns itself. you can also try to move the axle forwards or backwards to align it. hope that helps.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...e07-banner.jpg
Winner TOTW #1 2008
Winner TOTW #3 2009
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
e_N

THANKS! I'll give it another try. I'll take some pics if I can't get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to burn

I also have an 06 ext cab.

Im running the 2" ball-joints, 1" springs & street performance shocks up front.

Im running the 3" leafs, 1" blocks & street performance shocks in the rear.

Which hole are you talking about? When I installed mine I had a hell of a time getting the bolt through the hanger into leafs... it almost seemed like the leaf was too long, but infact its because they are in their relaxed state. I had to loosen the hangers to get them to bolt up. Then when I went to bolt the axle & block to the leaf - again I had a hard time getting things to align. Once the leafs are in; complately remove the U-bolts & plates so that the axle is just sitting loosely on the leafs. With a bit of playing around I got them to line right up. Then just bolt everything together.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~pteahan/sig.jpg

Colorado & Canyon Club of CANADA - Member #13
20" RTX Blackhawk rims, 4/5 Drop (all Belltech), Belltech front & rear swaybars, Kenwood DDX6019 DVD / Sirius / iPod / Bluetooh, StreetScene Rollpan, Low-Profile X-Member, C-Notch, Flex-a-lite 180 e-fan, K&N FIPK, Line-x, HIDs, Optima, Donnelly 36400 Mirror, Smooth Fuel Door, A1Electric Power Windows Conversion, etc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Check to make sure you have the leaf springs are being installed correctly (forward facing) as the centering pin for the axle generally is not equal length from the front to rear (Compare with measurements for your oem leafs to figure out which way goes forward facing towards the front of truck).

NVR2LOW & THE 2 LOW CREW (Wife, Son & Daughter)

2007 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab ZQ8
2" Belltech Drop Ball Joints, 2" Belltech Drop Blocks
Bedrug liner, Checkmate FX Tonneau Cover
GM premium molded carpet floor mats

Canyon & Colorado club of Canada ( member #7 )
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 PM

on our trucks the alignment hole is smaller then the s-10. It should be the same size as a 5/16-18 cap head screw(about .312 in diameter). Mine went right in. I did have to modify the block cause the pin was to big.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
e_N

Thanks for all the help!

I tried looking at it again but realized that I lacked the tools to modify the alignment pin in the middle of the leaf springs or to modify the alignment hole on the axle to make the leafs fit. My brother made some calls and got his friend to help me out at his suspension shop so everything is all good.

Thanks again for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode