Wix person not so smart - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Wix person not so smart

I emailed Wix to see if they were going to make a synthetic oil filter for '17 and up V6's and the person emailed me back the 2017 silverado v6 info. LoL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Garage
Cool
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Garage
Silverado, Colorado, all them 'do's' are so confusing....
Toughsox and White016 like this.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 PM

I sent PAC-Audio detailed drawings and pictures back in 2016 about how their installation info and pictures on their website is wrong, as it shows where to tie in to a Silverado, and not a Colorado.

Here it is 3 years later and pfffft...... they still show you the Silverado info.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-...ement/rp5-gm51

White016 and Tom S. like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 ZR-71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I emailed Wix to see if they were going to make a synthetic oil filter for '17 and up V6's and the person emailed me back the 2017 silverado v6 info. LoL
I'm surprised they replied at all.
Toughsox, 16WhiteColly and Tom S. like this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 PM

They are probably in India in a call center answering questions.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
And what would you think is the difference between a 5mc Oil Filter & a 5mc Oil Filter that has Synthetic Stamped on it ?
White016 likes this.

Last edited by DFlorida; 04-15-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 PM

I ordered a bulk supply of Wix filters and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil from Walmart, to fit my 2018 Canyon V6. (they don't stock the Platinum Ultra in store). And I happened to be in Walmart last week and I took the opportunity to inspect one of their el-cheapo Super Tech oil filters, and it looks identical to the Wix except it's filter element is yellow versus tan on the Wix. And the Super Tech filter is $2.83 versus $11.47 for the Wix.

I also noted that the obviously cheaper-to-make cartridge type filters tend to cost more than spin on canister type filters.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:06 PM

In my recent post, I received a Silverado hardware kit in a S&B CAI kit...nice mix-up.

The "Iceman" Cometh
MSGT, USAF (Retired)
18 Colorado LT Redline 4X4 Crew (Silver/Ice-Ice Baby)
Born in the US of A!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Got an email back with the person saying they dont have one for the colorado. Ahhh....duh.

Replied back with original question and finally the person theres not one being made yet and to check back.

I know amsoil makes one, just dont like having to find a sales rep and paying $17.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Got an email back with the person saying they dont have one for the colorado. Ahhh....duh.

Replied back with original question and finally the person theres not one being made yet and to check back.

I know amsoil makes one, just dont like having to find a sales rep and paying $17.
Mobil also has a Mobil 1 filter available at around $10.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Z15_34396 Send a message via MSN to Z15_34396
Quote:

The oil and oil filter you choose are critical to engine performance and durability. It’s not the time to skimp on quality over a few $.

Order Direct, they have DC in Dallas area►EA15K35 Oil Filter
93Duc likes this.

Mike

2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 6.2L/420HP
Protected by AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants

Last edited by Z15_34396; 04-16-2019 at 07:06 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:40 AM

From WalMart, you can buy either the FRAM Extra Guard (TG10246 - https://bit.ly/2UG5fu2) for $5.63 or the Fram Ultra (XG10246 - https://bit.ly/2IiOKxe) for $14.47, both of which have 99% filtration at 20 microns.

https://bit.ly/2v6o1LR

Ed

K-9's love to teach suspects that if you run...you'll only be arrested tired!

Support YOUR local law enforcement K-9 Unit!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM
JMB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman53 View Post
I ordered a bulk supply of Wix filters and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil from Walmart, to fit my 2018 Canyon V6. (they don't stock the Platinum Ultra in store). And I happened to be in Walmart last week and I took the opportunity to inspect one of their el-cheapo Super Tech oil filters, and it looks identical to the Wix except it's filter element is yellow versus tan on the Wix. And the Super Tech filter is $2.83 versus $11.47 for the Wix.

I also noted that the obviously cheaper-to-make cartridge type filters tend to cost more than spin on canister type filters.
Wix does a TON of private label manufacturing. The top of the line filters from CarQuest (before the AA buyout) used to be made to the same tolerances and quality but were a fraction of the price. This could be the case here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlecko View Post
From WalMart, you can buy either the FRAM Extra Guard (TG10246 - https://bit.ly/2UG5fu2) for $5.63 or the Fram Ultra (XG10246 - https://bit.ly/2IiOKxe) for $14.47, both of which have 99% filtration at 20 microns.

https://bit.ly/2v6o1LR

Ed
Color me biased, but after some of the quality issues they allowed into the market a few years back leaves me leery of anything they make. The standard orange filter used to be a quality product and they changed the specs without informing the market to save a few bucks and that doesn't sit well with me at all.

2018 Kinetic Blue CCLB Z71
1994 Laguna Blue Miata
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I do like the o-ring base seal on the wix rather than that cloth type seal the others have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0406191806b_1555425438225.jpg (75.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 0406191807a_1555425472205.jpg (157.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Rangerscott; 04-16-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Color me biased, but after some of the quality issues they allowed into the market a few years back leaves me leery of anything they make. The standard orange filter used to be a quality product and they changed the specs without informing the market to save a few bucks and that doesn't sit well with me at all.

On the forum at https://www.bobistheoilguy.com , I can tell you there are a continual supply of posts that feature both the photos (brand new and used) and oil analysis of all of the Fram filter line, including the Tough Guard, Ultra, etc. The photos of the Fram filters will give you visual proof of how well the filters hold up "in the real world" and their used oil analysis from Blackstone Laboratories (https://bit.ly/2KJb99f) will demonstrate just how well they work.

"Do you guys trust Fram Ultra oil filters?" - https://bit.ly/2Dhcyxg

Ed

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Wix does a TON of private label manufacturing. The top of the line filters from CarQuest (before the AA buyout) used to be made to the same tolerances and quality but were a fraction of the price. This could be the case here as well.

Yes, Fram had a rough patch a few years back, but Fram admitted the drop in QC and overhauled their processes. They are a quality filter today.

A few years ago on one of the Jeep forums, a forum moderator got invited to tour the Fram quality control lab and the results were pretty impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to use Fram filters.
JMB likes this.

2019 ZR2 3.6l Summit white
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Yes, Fram had a rough patch a few years back, but Fram admitted the drop in QC and overhauled their processes. They are a quality filter today.

A few years ago on one of the Jeep forums, a forum moderator got invited to tour the Fram quality control lab and the results were pretty impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to use Fram filters.

The problem with Fram isnít a QC or process problem, itís a crap product problem. Thankfully these trucks donít use spin-on filters so nobody can use them, but cardboard end caps, cheap/crappy/defective anti-drainback valves, and thin can material are the problems. Not all of their filters are bad, but there are some that are absolute junk. Oil filters are cheap, no reason to risk problems by using extra-cheap filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 PM

I think the cardboard end-cap issue is a straw-man argument. Some filters don't even have end caps.

AGCO Auto is fanatical about "it has to be OEM" and be sure to change your oil every three thousand miles or your motor will likely not even last to 100K. I like their show, but I think they're alarmists in some of their advice.

Ed

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlecko View Post
I think the cardboard end-cap issue is a straw-man argument. Some filters don't even have end caps.
You need to consider the quality of the filter as a whole, the cardboard was only one of the issues/concerns I mentioned. The cheap Fram filters are awful. The media is awful. The anti-drainback valves are awful and have REPEATEDLY resulted in lifter tick after start-up because the filter has drained down, there have been cans that have burst or leak at the seam where the filter base is attached because it's too thin and can't deal with the pressure some engines produce...

Defend Fram's cheapest filters all you want, they just aren't worth a dime. Spend a couple more bucks, get a decent filter that doesn't have a history of failure.
monteholic likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Red Quartz Tintcoat, BMS Catch Can, GMC floor liners, Weathertech no-drill mud flaps, ARE Z-Series shell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode