4Likes
  • 1 Post By DFlorida
  • 1 Post By DFlorida
  • 1 Post By Crazyjack177
  • 1 Post By DFlorida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I4 Manual engine issues

Hi, new here. Ive been scouring the internet for some information. I have a 2008 Colorado, 2.9 I4 WT manual that I have 73000 miles on. Recently when I start it it will make a noise kind of like metal hitting metal. It only happens for literally one or two seconds when I start then goes away. And it's not everytime. Also it doesn't matter if it's cold or warm outside, or if I cold start it or it's been running for some time. It's not a grinding so it's not the starter sticking. It's like a weird knocking noise, but it's not the same sound as rods knocking. Also, the rpms start at around 1100 and will fluctuate up and down until it's around 750-800. I don't know if that's normal or not. Of course today it hasn't been doing it. Also if I rev it up to about 2500-3000 and let off, it'll sound kind of like it's backfiring in the exhaust. I'm honestly stumped on what it is. I know when I first got it I had to replace the vvt sensor because it was causing it to die when the rpms fluctuated too much (up until it decided it wanted to vary the rpms at idle at a swing of almost 800rpms) When I can I've been video recording every start up and when I can catch it I'll post a video, but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:59 PM

the RMPS should not fluctuate should go to around 1200 cold then slowly drop to 650-700 , Has the Cat been Gutted from the Exhaust Manifold ?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

No I don't think so. I haven't looked at that, but it normally sounds stock. I've only had it a year and I haven't done anything yet because the previous owner was an older guy who barely drove it. I mean it had only 65000 miles in 10 years so 😕 So theres nothing besides tint and a sunshade the previous owner put on because they were snow birds who who lived in Arizona, so the tint I'm guessing is for the sun in AZ. (Never been but I'm going to take an educated guess 😆)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:42 AM

I have seen the cat itself break in half & make a intermittent ratting noise when engine is at high rpms , You can remove the 02 sensor in the Exhaust manifold & should see the top of the cat make sure its there and in one piece
16WhiteColly likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well I can check that. It's hard to hear, but you can very faintly make out the noise at the very beginning. Of course when I'm trying to capture video it's not doing it as aggressively XD

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zY2FKgLoK1m4T7sK8
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjack177 View Post
Yeah, well I can check that. It's hard to hear, but you can very faintly make out the noise at the very beginning. Of course when I'm trying to capture video it's not doing it as aggressively XD

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zY2FKgLoK1m4T7sK8
Can you kind of pin point where the noise is coming from top of engine driver side or pass side or bottom of engine The cat rattle will come from lower pass side of engine best heard from pass side wheel well .
16WhiteColly likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NsWvdmfzfqiDL3eG6

Here's a good one finally. And no it's coming from more up top. I've had bad cats and other exhaust issues on other vehicles before and it's definitely not that. Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can help with starting it when I need it so I'm just playing by ear from the driver's seat:/
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NsWvdmfzfqiDL3eG6

Here's a good one finally. And no it's coming from more up top. I've had bad cats and other exhaust issues on other vehicles before and it's definitely not that. Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can help with starting it when I need it so I'm just playing by ear from the driver's seat:/
Sounds like a VVT gear assembly (don't know the real name off hand) on a Toyota. It sits on the end of the exhaust cam IIRC. The timing chain turns it. A very common thing on them. They have a pin that locks it in place until the oil pressure comes up. The problem is they eat the pin and rattles just like that for a second or two until oil pressurizes it.

I'm thinking your 4 banger has something just like the Toyota's from the sound of it. Sounds really bad when you first start it! Like a rod or piston will come out the side of the block any second. Then all of a sudden the oil pressure comes up and then it's quiet as a mouse. Kind of like worse than a lifter but not as bad as a rod sort of noise.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking, either that or the timing chain tensioners or something. But I did have to swap out the vvt sensor because it was so mucked up with sludge it decided to not run. I think the previous owner didn't keep up with the oil changes. I'm going to go get it looked at here in the next few weeks anyway, since I currently don't have a garage, but I wanted to know what it was approximately so I knew what to say XD
White016 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

And yeah, after a second or so it's super quiet. Like a brand new truck \_(ツ)_/
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's what I was thinking, either that or the timing chain tensioners or something. But I did have to swap out the vvt sensor because it was so mucked up with sludge it decided to not run. I think the previous owner didn't keep up with the oil changes. I'm going to go get it looked at here in the next few weeks anyway, since I currently don't have a garage, but I wanted to know what it was approximately so I knew what to say XD
This thing right here:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...sprocket,18586

It even looks like the Toyota's. I bet that is the culprit.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
And yeah, after a second or so it's super quiet. Like a brand new truck \_(ツ)_/
I Personally Don't think its going to be the Exhaust Cam Actuator especially with only 73k miles , the VVT is a solenoid operated Valve ( not a sensor) that at higher Rpms & Speed the ECM applies voltage to solenoid to open the valve to apply oil pressure to the Exhaust Cam Actuator to push the locking pin backwards to free the actuator to advance the exhaust cam timing , it almost sounds like you have what we Mechanic's call a dry oil start , the oil in the oil passages in the engine is draining out overnight & when you start the engine in the morning you have a rattle for just a few seconds until the oil pressure fills the passages & then everything is quiet .
16WhiteColly likes this.

Last edited by DFlorida; 04-16-2019 at 03:10 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. It's just really annoying, but I plan on pulling the top off this week and check everything out. -_-
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah. It's just really annoying, but I plan on pulling the top off this week and check everything out. -_-
Before i would start tearing into the engine First try a new oil filter the anti-drain back valve in your filter could be leaking and over night letting the oil drain out of the oil passages I Recommend the Purolator One PL14006 oil filter Never had one leak .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode