No overdrive, works after codes cleared P0894 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By DFlorida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

No overdrive, works after codes cleared P0894

Hello guys, wondering if anybody has an idea for a solution to my problem. I've seen threads that talked about no overdrive in which the second gear is also affected, but not something similar to my issue (sorry if I just didn't search well enough!)

Twice in the last week I've lost 4th gear. No check engine light is on, however when I read extra/pending codes, I get a p0894, transmission component slipping. If I clear the code, OD works again no problem. In either state, 1,2,3 shift normally, firmly, just fine.

I recently had my transmission rebuilt, and for the second time. Both times the 1-3 band was toast. There's a new torque converter now, new internals, additional trans cooler, the fluid is clear and unburnt.

My guess is that it is something electrical, I don't see why it would work just fine after a code clear, some sensor or connection is telling it not to use 4th IMHO.

In addition, and I don't think it's likely to be related, my transfer case grinds loudly when I shift on the fly into 4 high.

I also have a slight shudder. I just did ball joints, hubs, and alignment, and it's better; don't know if the shudder is still there or if it's still in my head.

tl;dr 1,2,3 shift perfectly fine, O/D doesn't work, but works just fine for a while after a P0894 code is cleared. Throws code again, stops working again, works fine after clear.

Anyone have a similar issue or an idea of where to start looking to solve it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Burgsma View Post
Hello guys, wondering if anybody has an idea for a solution to my problem. I've seen threads that talked about no overdrive in which the second gear is also affected, but not something similar to my issue (sorry if I just didn't search well enough!)

Twice in the last week I've lost 4th gear. No check engine light is on, however when I read extra/pending codes, I get a p0894, transmission component slipping. If I clear the code, OD works again no problem. In either state, 1,2,3 shift normally, firmly, just fine.

I recently had my transmission rebuilt, and for the second time. Both times the 1-3 band was toast. There's a new torque converter now, new internals, additional trans cooler, the fluid is clear and unburnt.

My guess is that it is something electrical, I don't see why it would work just fine after a code clear, some sensor or connection is telling it not to use 4th IMHO.

In addition, and I don't think it's likely to be related, my transfer case grinds loudly when I shift on the fly into 4 high.

I also have a slight shudder. I just did ball joints, hubs, and alignment, and it's better; don't know if the shudder is still there or if it's still in my head.

tl;dr 1,2,3 shift perfectly fine, O/D doesn't work, but works just fine for a while after a P0894 code is cleared. Throws code again, stops working again, works fine after clear.

Anyone have a similar issue or an idea of where to start looking to solve it?
You said it had the trans recently overhauled? I would take it back and tell them to fix it for free. You said it likes eating a band, that would cause a slip and a slip code I'm thinking. My guess would be that band again. Make the trans shop fix it. If it is that AGAIN, there has to be a reason it's eating the band, make sure they find it. It might be a hard part they decided not to get to save money.

As for the transfer case I would stop shifting it to 4x4 on the fly, or get it rebuilt also. Yes, not likely related.

The shudder thing...Vibration at high speed? Tire balance is a good place to start.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6 LT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, my instinct is to send it back to the shop, the only wrinkle is it's a few hours away in my hometown because at the time they had a rebuilt tranny ready to go for sale and I wanted it done quick. Now potentially making a third trip is making me wish I had just gotten it done locally.

I hear what you're saying about the band, I'm just confused that there's no signs of wear. The fluid is clear, tranny isn't getting hot, 2 shifts perfectly fine, and O/D shifts perfectly fine and doesn't slip until it gets shut off. after a cleared code, it works again just fine. I'm just hoping that it's some electrical connector I can clean or check out before making the trip. I've heard the brake switch can turn off cruise and O/D when it's malfunctioning, and I've read about the valve train needing to be bored out and replaced with a larger set and new spring, I've also read about the Torque converter control solenoid malfunctioning and causing this because the PCM thinks it's slipping when it isn't.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I find out what it is! Going to clean connections and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:50 PM

the band in the 4L60E is for 2nd gear & 4th Sounds like the servo bore is worn in the case if its burning the band you might try the Corvette servo should help it will apply more force on the Band to stop it from slipping & burning , as for the slipping setting code P0894 its most likely the TCC Valve bore is worn that shop where you had it rebuilt should have checked that its a very common problem with the 4L60E valve body the rebuild kits come with a longer spring to replace the factory spring to stop the valve from moving or use a solid piece tube like in the video but again most shops just slap new clutches & sealing in it and say its rebuilt . or that shop did a terrible job rebuilding the trans see 2nd video
Corvette servo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-Hi-...-/192231181459

White016 and Hunter62 like this.

Last edited by DFlorida; 06-11-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM

This is the BEST Video's about the 4L60E this video should be a sticky .

Last edited by DFlorida; 06-11-2019 at 11:17 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks DFlorida! I have actually watched the first two videos before, I was thinking the valve bore seemed like the issue based on what I've read and what the guys said in the video.

Both the servo and valve bore fix [I]seem[I] like things I could do myself; I've done stuff like ball joints, hubs, brakes and head gaskets etc on this and other vehicles. I just get really nervous about the idea of opening up my transmission.

Do you think either of those are DIYable? otherwise I'll get CAA to tow my truck to the shop in my hometown.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Burgsma View Post

Do you think either of those are DIYable? otherwise I'll get CAA to tow my truck to the shop in my hometown.
installing the Corvette servo is pretty easy you don't have to remove the pan or trans couple good videos on youtube showing how , the TCC longer Spring install you will have to remove the pan & valve body if they installed the holding clip up (correct way) but if they installed the clip down you can remove it without removing the valve body & you may need a new gasket to if you have to remove the valve body , as for the bushing the trans has to come out & the Pump pulled from trans Major Job .
here the TCC spring :https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRING-4L60...kAAOSwdIFX0E0F

Last edited by DFlorida; 06-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Update: spoke to my Transmission guy on the phone, he replaced the TCC valve spring with the updated one when he did the rebuild.

If I find a wiring map for the harness, could I test the ohms on the TCC solenoid without dropping the pan? He said that didn’t get replaced.

I may even order a new solenoid and replace it in my shop before I sen it back to him. They’re pretty cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in