589fab Skid Plate Support Bracket - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

589fab Skid Plate Support Bracket

Anyone have hands on or details with this yet?

https://589fab.com/collections/armor...upport-bracket

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 CCSB| Graphite Metallic | 2.8L Duramax Diesel | Bose | Nav
  • Mods: 589Fab HD Shock Skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
Will post my thoughts as I ordered a powder coated bracket and will be picking it up in person later this week. Looking forward to meeting the 589 Fab guys!

From the pictures the design will transfer any forward to rear (or vice versa) force from a skid plate impact to the cross frame beam. This is done due to the sides of the bracket having a u-shape that fits on both sides of the cross frame beam.

I believe the screen shot of the bent Colorado OEM skid plate mounting bracket is from this forum. Glad to have a ready made solution for only $100.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

It looks legit. Iím curious how it integrates with different sets of skid plates, I assume it would work with all.

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 CCSB| Graphite Metallic | 2.8L Duramax Diesel | Bose | Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:00 PM

I opted for the bare metal version so I would receive it faster. Prepped, painted, and installed with my factory zr2 front skid and steel superskidz. The only issue was it was a tight fit because of all the layers of primer/paint. There was about a 3/4 inch gap left after muscling it on which had me concerned. I ended up using the supplied bolts to walk it in. Alternating between bolts, essentially pressing it in...it's NOT coming off! No clearance issues, the little legs don't interfere with any of the power steering bolts heads.

ZedArgh2 and JBurg540 like this.

2017 ZR2 3.6L, 33s, 1.5 BL, diesel springs, GM cai, Mallet full exhaust, Relentless Fab bumpers & rack, Nitro 4.56 gears, Trifecta tuned.
https://www.instagram.com/ssm1tty/
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm1tty View Post
I opted for the bare metal version so I would receive it faster. Prepped, painted, and installed with my factory zr2 front skid and steel superskidz. The only issue was it was a tight fit because of all the layers of primer/paint. There was about a 3/4 inch gap left after muscling it on which had me concerned. I ended up using the supplied bolts to walk it in. Alternating between bolts, essentially pressing it in...it's NOT coming off! No clearance issues, the little legs don't interfere with any of the power steering bolts heads.
Excellent info, thanks for sharing.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

One thing to note.

For those wanting this product, You'll need to make sure you didnt previously bend the bracket as this support bolts onto it. If you have bent the OE mount, you'll have to bend it back into the position which is a lot more difficult than you may think and by that point just cut it off.

If thats the case, it may be worth cutting it off and putting a piece of boxed steel with a few layers of metal on top to give the screws to bite into it.

@supermodulation gave me these measurements, so if you decide to make you're own, just make sure its at least this deep from the bottom of the crossmember, 2.30"

For the life of me, I can't find any pictures that I took of the actual mount, but it was a 2" piece of boxed steel, and the parts where the bolt will go in, was threaded and had 2 layers of 1/4" steel welded to give the bolts more metal to grab.

2016 Black Colorado Z71 4x4

Too many mod's to list. Check out the build thread for more info

Click here for my build thread

Instagram: @trukstuf

Last edited by maxwell_hau5_caffy; 04-16-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedArgh2 View Post
It looks legit. Iím curious how it integrates with different sets of skid plates, I assume it would work with all.
As long as they use the factory 3 holes on that skid support bracket, it should work with all skid plates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post
One thing to note.

For those wanting this product, You'll need to make sure you didnt previously bend the bracket as this support bolts onto it. If you have bent the OE mount, you'll have to bend it back into the position which is a lot more difficult than you may think and by that point.

If thats the case, it may be worth cutting it off and putting a piece of boxed steel with a few layers of metal on top to give the screws to bite into it.

@supermodulation gave me these measurements, so if you decide to make you're own, just make sure its at least this deep from the bottom of the crossmember, 2.30"

For the life of me, I can't find any pictures that I took of the actual mount, but it was a 2" piece of boxed steel, and the parts where the bolt will go in, was threaded and had 2 layers of 1/4" steel welded to give the bolts more metal to grab.
You could also cut the OE bracket off, and weld this bracket in it's place after having some nuts welded over the holes.

2018 ZR2 with a bunch of goodies

589 Fabrication
www.589fab.com
[email protected]

Save 5% using code CFANS5
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:38 PM

So this just goes under the skid plates and prevents the stock bracket from bending? Crazy that the stock one bent like that. That's a poor design.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyB View Post
So this just goes under the skid plates and prevents the stock bracket from bending? Crazy that the stock one bent like that. That's a poor design.
The design could be beefed up some, but the biggest issue is the thickness of the material on a bracket as critical as this one. The pictures I've included will give you an idea. It mounts over the factory bracket. Basically you are putting this bracket between the factory bracket and your skid plates. It really stiffens up the mount!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7aac9f2d7b6d9cc0b4c3a94f8d77e19a_1024x1024.jpg (35.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20281_1024x1024.jpg (122.7 KB, 37 views)

589 Fabrication
www.589fab.com
[email protected]

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The design could be beefed up some, but the biggest issue is the thickness of the material on a bracket as critical as this one. The pictures I've included will give you an idea. It mounts over the factory bracket. Basically you are putting this bracket between the factory bracket and your skid plates. It really stiffens up the mount!
Random question, if the skid plates use those mounting holes, how do you keep that thing on when you're putting your skid plates on?
scoobydrew32 likes this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Random question, if the skid plates use those mounting holes, how do you keep that thing on when you're putting your skid plates on?
Good question!

It's a pretty snug fit once it's up there! I was able to reinstall my skids without worry of it falling.
madcratebuilder and BizzyB like this.

589 Fabrication
www.589fab.com
[email protected]

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm1tty View Post

Can you repost? Your pics arenít showing up

2016 4x4 Ext cab All Terrain Canyon
Cyber grey metallic
Tow package
Superskidz #1-4
2" RC level, AS dif drop
Westin HDX drop steps
Pedal Commander, Curt Triflex brake controller
Line-X, BAKFlip MX4
589 HD Shock Skids
Prothane end links, Sway bar drop kit
STEDI H11 LED Copper Head low beams
STEDI ST3K 31.5Ē LED light bar
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM

I'm waiting on a brown truck to drop mine off, can't wait to beat it on.
[email protected] likes this.

2017 Colorado ZR2 Deepwood Green Metallic, Ext Cab 3.6 DI DOHC V6 (LGZ) 8-speed auto (8L45).
Midwest Overland Ind, 589 Fab, Warn, GMPP, Trifecta, Nitro Gear, Rhino Rack, Wilco Offset, Smittybilt, Ultra Ranger. Supermod Skidz.

Illegitimi non carborundum
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
I'm waiting on a brown truck to drop mine off, can't wait to beat it on.
Bare or power coat?

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM

I think I went with powder coat but really don't remember.

2017 Colorado ZR2 Deepwood Green Metallic, Ext Cab 3.6 DI DOHC V6 (LGZ) 8-speed auto (8L45).
Midwest Overland Ind, 589 Fab, Warn, GMPP, Trifecta, Nitro Gear, Rhino Rack, Wilco Offset, Smittybilt, Ultra Ranger. Supermod Skidz.

Illegitimi non carborundum
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Site Sponsor

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and get one of these! Might throw a few spot welds on it while I'm installing
maxwell_hau5_caffy likes this.

Truck: 2016 CC Duramax 4x4 / Decked / Bull Rings / Husky / BMS / Icon / Deaver / Method / BFG / Smittybilt / Factor 55 / Cobra / Firestik / Midland / Chassis Unlimited / SuperSkidz / AFE / Hackman / AEV

Forum members save at RealTruck! PM for info.

Visit: RealTruck.com / Instagram / Facebook
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
As long as they use the factory 3 holes on that skid support bracket, it should work with all skid plates!

You could also cut the OE bracket off, and weld this bracket in it's place after having some nuts welded over the holes.
Don't do that, it would make too much sense

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

NEVER GIVE UP
Never stop trying to exceed your limits, God knows we need the entertainment.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Good question!

It's a pretty snug fit once it's up there! I was able to reinstall my skids without worry of it falling.
I ordered mine today. Gonna get it fitted before I pickup some skid plates. Hope you guys are churning em out quickly!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Another solution as well. Would be tricky painting the inside after welding though.

I just wish this was out before I bent mine early 2017. :(

Quote:
Very carefully.

2016 Black Colorado Z71 4x4

Too many mod's to list. Check out the build thread for more info

Click here for my build thread

Instagram: @trukstuf
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I ordered mine today. Gonna get it fitted before I pickup some skid plates. Hope you guys are churning em out quickly!
It'll get picked up in the morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post
Another solution as well. Would be tricky painting the inside after welding though.

I just wish this was out before I bent mine early 2017. :(
I wish we had already been in business at that time! We may have had it then! You beat us by a couple months.
BizzyB likes this.

589 Fabrication
www.589fab.com
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode