2018 ZR2 Dusk Diesel build - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lwhagood
  • 1 Post By Tank46
  • 1 Post By Lwhagood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

2018 ZR2 Dusk Diesel build

Hi! I'm new here, former Jeep guy, wanted something that was better for daily driving and also missed having a truck. Got this ZR2 back in October and couldn't be happier.

Modest build here.

So Far:
-RC 1.25" Leveling Kit
-Midwest Overland Industries winch mount
-Warn Zeon 8S winch
-RC ZR2 Light bar mounts
-RC 30" curved "black out" light bar
-Rigid Industries "Ignite" backup lights (wired to reverse lights)
-Replaced factory reverse bulbs with LED's
-Replaced high beam bulbs with Sylvainia Silverstar Ultra bulbs
-Replaced three chrome "Colorado" badges with black ones
-Weathertech floor mats
-Center console organizer from amazon (It counts!)

To go:
-Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/70R17's
-Green Diesel Engineering tune
-589 Fab rear shock skids
-LED Dynamics low beams

I took some measurements before and after the leveling kit install and then again after adding 100+ pounds to the front bumper. I measured at the very front edge of the bumper under the bowtie.
-Pre leveling kit: 28.125"
-Post leveling kit: 30.250"
-Post winch install and front end alignment: 29.750"

To my knowledge, I might be the first person to do both the MOI winch mount as well as the RC light bar mount. They both use the existing bumper holes so the light bar mount gets sandwiched between the winch mount and the frame of the truck which pushes the winch mount 1/8" forward. This causes a couple issues:
-The light bar blocks access to the winch so the winch has to remain in "engaged" all the time, which is why I went with the Zeon 8S over the 10S. (a bit faster) and I used the Warn solenoid relocation kit to put the solenoid under the hood on top of the passenger side fender well. (But it only takes a minute to remove the light bar with a single Allen key if needed)
-The bottom lip of the bumper is pushed forward by 1/8" which makes it impossible to install 6 of the 25,000 T-15 screws without stressing the plastic but if you pop the green retaining clips out of their steel bracket and then just use them like non-captive nuts, this gives you 1/8" in either direction so no problem.

MOI has you leave out three air handling plastic pieces that live behind the grille. The two lower pieces aren't even used in the Diesel, but the upper piece (goes in front of the main radiator) is structural, so I just trimmed off the bottom bit that was in the way and reinstalled the top 3/4 of it. I included a pic of all the items not reinstalled. From left to right: Factory bumper, lower air dam, the bit I trimmed off the large plastic piece, and the air scoop duct. None of these items are used on the diesel, as you can see the two black rectangles block all the air going through this area, hopefully the winch and light bar will block the same amount. Also wound up with two extra 10mm bolts.. Hope these weren't important!

Sorry, the pic of the solenoid is upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6318.jpg (264.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6321.jpg (186.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6322.jpg (229.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6323.jpg (140.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6280.jpg (232.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6309.jpg (189.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6310.jpg (132.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6317.jpg (137.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6279.jpg (244.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6320.jpg (208.3 KB, 20 views)
Locked likes this.

Last edited by Lwhagood; Yesterday at 12:48 PM. Reason: Sorry, the pic of the solenoid is upside down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Very nice truck. I like how the average person wouldn't know you have a winch installed.

2019 white Bison.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Garage
How does one go about replacing the Colorado name plates with black ones?

2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
RED HOT
Purchased 11/7/18
Born 5/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon 10 View Post

All you need is a blow dryer and some dental floss. I used painters masking tape to mark the position of the old ones. The black ones are a little larger so just make sure they both start from the same distance from the front of the door jam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019W...mob_b_pd_title

Last edited by Lwhagood; Yesterday at 04:03 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Garage
Nice truck!

Shock skids should be one of the first things to get if planning to go over any big rocks.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Don’t get the ones that do not have the foam template around them (actual factory new oem) as they are a breeze to install.

I installed a set of the redline badges a few months back, very easy. Just take your time. Paid $90 shipped for 3.
16WhiteColly likes this.

2018 ZR2: Factory Sports Bar with OEM Off Road lights, Off Highway Equipment switch for lights, OEM rubber floor mats, Redline badges, Red tow hooks.
2016 LT 4x4: January 2016 - traded for ZR2 October 2018
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank46 View Post
Quote:
Don’t get the ones that do not have the foam template around them (actual factory new oem) as they are a breeze to install.

I installed a set of the redline badges a few months back, very easy. Just take your time. Paid $90 shipped for 3.
The ones I got from amazon are also attached to a one-step install template.
16WhiteColly likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Washed it and swung by the lake for a sunset photo op!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 739772F9-5A61-4854-8DE9-D826632AEF54_1555287654558.jpg (174.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 3677282C-0FEF-4104-BCE5-EE688C0FF421_1555287674468.jpg (93.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 981FBD4B-7AA3-40A7-9EDF-54FC39B1A2E5_1555287724121.jpg (185.2 KB, 10 views)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfshane View Post
Nice truck!

Shock skids should be one of the first things to get if planning to go over any big rocks.
Thank you! Just placed the order from 589fab!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Were did you get the factory ones at?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2019 white Bison.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwhagood View Post
Hmmm.. it doesn’t appear they have the foam template from the pictures. Shows them marking lines on the painters tape to get them lined up which is not needed with the foam templates.

You also stated the black ones are “slightly larger”... Why would GM make them slightly larger? Makes zero sense, why I feel the ones you got from amazon were not oem.

The oem Redline badges I got were exactly the same size as the chrome badges. I took the foam template off the one of the Redline badges, placed them over the stock badges, taped around the foam template and it was as simple as that.

2018 ZR2: Factory Sports Bar with OEM Off Road lights, Off Highway Equipment switch for lights, OEM rubber floor mats, Redline badges, Red tow hooks.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked View Post
Were did you get the factory ones at?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is how I installed mine. Tascaparts Is where I got mine.

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/5142869-post46.html

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM

Great looking truck. A couple little things I did to mine may interest you. I got a set of black duramax badges off ebay and changed them out on the hood. I also copied someone’s idea from this site and hit the tail pipe with flat black grill paint, made it blend much better than stock. How much did the winch set up set you back $ ?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxz066 View Post
Great looking truck. A couple little things I did to mine may interest you. I got a set of black duramax badges off ebay and changed them out on the hood. I also copied someone’s idea from this site and hit the tail pipe with flat black grill paint, made it blend much better than stock. How much did the winch set up set you back $ ?
I'm gonna get those duramax badges! Thank you!

$1250 for the Warn Zeon 8S winch (from 4WP, I've seen them for sale online for around $1000)
$125 for the Factor 55 flatlink
$675 for the MOI winch mount
$24 for the MOI fairlead
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 12:48 AM

Looks great. Love White ZR2's
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwhagood View Post
Hmmm.. it doesn’t appear they have the foam template from the pictures. Shows them marking lines on the painters tape to get them lined up which is not needed with the foam templates.

You also stated the black ones are “slightly larger”... Why would GM make them slightly larger? Makes zero sense, why I feel the ones you got from amazon were not oem.

The oem Redline badges I got were exactly the same size as the chrome badges. I took the foam template off the one of the Redline badges, placed them over the stock badges, taped around the foam template and it was as simple as that.
Hmmm... I never said they were OEM, nor did I say they had a foam template. The front of the letters (the whole ”COLORADO” badge) are stuck to a single piece of thick clear vinyl, so you can see the letters sitting on your bottom alignment tape) I’m more than happy with my amazon letters. $55 and they were on my doorstep in two days. Took about five minutes to install all three sets. Someone asked me where I got my letters and I told them. My Warn winch isn’t OEM either.

Last edited by Lwhagood; Today at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode