2018 Z71 Kicker amp install - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
SBG

2018 Z71 Kicker amp install

the truck

the motor (remarkably small, but no need to compensate and it's more the adequate for the task)

under the seat is a nifty storage space - but not terribly useful

a woofer is checking out the subwoofer

why GM left those bits laying there? dunno

first step is run the wires through the firewall - it is LOTS easier to cut the recommended hole from the inside then use welding rod to push through to the engine compartment then tape and pull back the power wires

set so you can plug the wires in...

the way I ran the inside wiring.* I ran the front first, then moved to the back and worked my way forward - the reason is that is where you can easily hide extra wire

I ran the wire through the existing hole and under the carpet

and now in place

so here it is the last connections
​​​​​​​

The plug that has the wires is the GREY AND BLACK as the instructions say.... some others had issue with which plug.* it also goes easier if you pop the plug off the side panel and (after you carefully cut the cloth tape off) twist the wires to expose them.... it did take awhile to find the correct wires (for me, the hardest was finding the light blue/brown stripe - since there is a brown with light blue stripe in that same harness)

wires found and tapped - as an aside, the bag the wires came in had a hole in the bottom, so finding those taps was a bit of a challenge.... be careful when you're unboxing as stuff can fall out because it's not bagged properly.

these are fun - pull up on the front (they pop up) then pull forward is the trick

The front.... if you look closely, you'll see a line in the plastic part in front of the door.* Lift there and pop the kick panel in then gently pull up from the bend forward
​​​​​​​

It comes out fairly easily so if you're really forcing, take a step back and reconsider - the hardest bit to get off with the side panel - that just takes patience and gentle force
the side panel

Installed with all the plastics back in place

It does sound a lot better - before it didn't sound like there were speakers behind the seat.... wish I'd sprung for the amp as well, trying to get it but I've not found it outside the package.... ah well, I was thinking of upgrading speakers so this might be a good thing*

Stock is way too reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 AM

Garage
Nice pictorial and write up. This should be moved to the How To section.

2017 Z71 CCSB, V6, Brownstone Metallic
2017 LT CCSB, V6, Cyber Grey Metallic *TRADED*
2015 Z71 Ext Cab, V6, Red Hot *TRADED*
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Nice, better photos than Kicker had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
SBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Nice pictorial and write up. This should be moved to the How To section.
I don't care where you put it.... wait, maybe that didn't come out right....

that said, there is probably going to be an update about the amp tomorrow.....
RatRacer likes this.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
I don't care where you put it.... wait, maybe that didn't come out right....

that said, there is probably going to be an update about the amp tomorrow.....
Which amp?
I'm having a love/hate affair with mine currently.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
SBG

I wanted the entire Kicker upgrade, what I bought was just the subwoofer and its amp.... SCOCRE15 instead of PCOCRE15.... and before you say there's better - consider this, I've built and raced 1000 plus hp EFI/turbo cars - but it's beyond my skill set to properly build a stereo system. I'm actually okay with this because I'm not a fan of wiring, and if I added 'stereo install' to my list; I'd never have another free moment.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
SBG

and still working on the Kicker stereo.... it doesn't have the output I think it should - so checking everything
that green light means it works... but not

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
SBG

So a few updates.
1) the screws that hold the plastic down under the seat - do not tighten those more then snug. The bolts are in nutserts and those fittings are not tight.... means you won't get them out again.
2) if you have a problem with the amp, you will have to take all of the wiring back out to send it back to the retailer. Unlike most companies, Kicker goes through them...
3) yeah, you guessed it - the amp doesn't work - so it has minimal sound from the speaker....

and yes, this is a bit annoying.... especially since the retailer is in Florida and I'm in Seattle....
and. I've discussed with the retailer and Kicker about all of this and they seem fine with full disclosure, so there it is. My favorite line, ever, did just come from the retailer (and it may be why I'm posting) "we never see that" ... hmmm.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Bummer.

My install went pretty smooth. The hardest part was removing the plastic trim the first time. When you do not know where all the clips and such are it gives you cautious pause when removing.

I hope they get things changed out. I know here at work with electronics it is either good or bad and you get a percentage of any of it bad out of the box. I tend to always find the bad one. This time it must have been your turn.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:33 PM

I don't know a lot about sound systems, so this may seem like a dumb question. But, if the sub can handle 200 watts, what would be the reason for installing a 400w amp? Isn't the subwoofer already powered with a built-in 200 watts?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteRob View Post
I don't know a lot about sound systems, so this may seem like a dumb question. But, if the sub can handle 200 watts, what would be the reason for installing a 400w amp? Isn't the subwoofer already powered with a built-in 200 watts?
The speaker can HANDLE 400 watts, and the amp is 200 watts. There is no 400 watt amp, it's a combined total of the Bose and Kicker amps.
hyperv6 and greco2003 like this.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
SBG

So here's the update. They sent it back and claims it works "great" - either that or they sent me another one that had been installed and removed....

okay, then it's utterly junk and makes zero difference to the sound you hear in your cab.

Don't buy this crap. The cusstomer support is non-existent (though they'll happily sell you more). Don't buy. You've been warned.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Garage
Kicker customer support was real friendly to me When I had to trouble shoot mine the in-line tap wasnít making a solid connection I emailed them about no power and got an email first thing in the morning when the opened up, had to email them a few more times to run down trouble shooting but I got emails back from them in 30mins I didnít have a unit failure so I canít speak on that end of it though. And customer support will vary depending on the agent you get. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience I love the kicker vss for our trucks adds exactly what I felt it was missing.

2017 Chevy Colorado LT CCSB 2.5L 4cyl, Lazer blue with Bose, navigation, kicker vss, IBoard running boards, Z71 wheels, fog lamps, Drl relocation harness, led fog lights, high and low beam headlights, switchbacks.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
So here's the update. They sent it back and claims it works "great" - either that or they sent me another one that had been installed and removed....

okay, then it's utterly junk and makes zero difference to the sound you hear in your cab.

Don't buy this crap. The cusstomer support is non-existent (though they'll happily sell you more). Don't buy. You've been warned.
File a complaint with your credit card company.

2018 Zr2 V6 Crew Cab Delivered 1/10/18
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
SBG

too late, it's why they wanted me to send it cross-country and wouldn't send a replacement before they got it.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:05 PM

Garage
Do you have the bose radio upgrade?

I always thought the SCOCRE15 was for the bose trucks since it doesnt come with an amp and the pcocre15 was for non bose trucks (which is why it has an amp and is not compatible with Bose equipped trucks)
hyperv6 and greenzr217 like this.

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Eibach Springs/Shocks set at 2.7", OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto2 Stroke LED low beams, Morimoto XBLED Fogs, S&B Intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, BFG Ta KO2, Go Rhino Sport Bar 2.0, Eagle Eye Tail lights, Akkon Headlights
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
SBG

So the problem is found and fixed. Kicker tells you to tap the wrong wire if it is a 2018. The wire they say to tap is the wire which controls the a/c pump controller.

If there was any justice, Kicker would cut a check to Bellevue Chevrolet/Cadillac to pay them for that bit of knowledge. (nevermind that the people I bought it from were a dealership in Florida - so they should have known too, matter of fact they even claimed to have tested the one I sent back on a 2018... I know, I know, expecting honesty is such a passe' thing.).

no, I don't know the wire - honestly, I didn't ask.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 AM

I think you have the wrong wires. It’s the light blue and brown/Light blue that are twisted together. The Kicker instructions are misleading. Perhaps consider putting a note or warning on your write up in the original post?

Last edited by Aplus; 05-21-2018 at 01:42 AM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
SBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplus View Post
I think you have the wrong wires. It’s the light blue and brown/Light blue that are twisted together. The Kicker instructions are misleading. Perhaps consider putting a note or warning on your write up in the original post?
You read the post just above your post? good.
I also told Kicker - they don't care, they didn't respond.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Today, 12:27 AM

wires

Quote:
So the problem is found and fixed. Kicker tells you to tap the wrong wire if it is a 2018. The wire they say to tap is the wire which controls the a/c pump controller.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm thinking of getting one of these for my 2019 Colorado and want to make sure I tap the right wires. Looking at the picture in the instructions (https://www.kicker.com/app/manuals/v...5-20160121.pdf), it seems to say (and the picture shows) to tap the solid light blue wire and the solid brown with a light blue stripe wire. Looking at the picture you posted, it seems you tapped the solid light blue wire with the brown stripe?

I actually bought a PCOCRE15 kit with the sub and speaker amps, but it seems the 2019 radio changed connections and the wiring harness doesn't fit :(. I still haven't checked with Kicker support, they're closed today, but I doubt if they have a replacement harness that will work . So I'm probably going to exchange it for the SCOCRE15.

Thanks...
HenryT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in